Death at Six Flags over Texas

Park employees should be trained to determine whether a safety bar is in a safe position in relation to a person’s body weight, Martin said.

It’s not known if the Six Flags employee who checked the safety restraint of Esparza, who was a large woman, took that into account.

I was afraid this would play into the accident. I have always had a problem with those of "Exceptional Size" being jammed into a seat. Just doesn't seem safe to me. I would rather be told no than to die from an improperly secured restraint.

I feel terrible for the kids that had to witness this happen to their mother.

• Like 10

Park employees should be trained to determine whether a safety bar is in a safe position in relation to a person’s body weight, Martin said.

It’s not known if the Six Flags employee who checked the safety restraint of Esparza, who was a large woman, took that into account.

I was afraid this would play into the accident. I have always had a problem with those of "Exceptional Size" being jammed into a seat. Just doesn't seem safe to me. I would rather be told no than to die from a failed restraint.

As a woman of "exceptional size" I had an incident on FOF about 4 years ago where a ride op was trying to force the lap bar down enough to have the seat belt click on the side of the train. I told the ride op " if you have to do all of this to allow me to ride that's crazy, unsafe, and point blank i'm not riding" The ride ops did let me off the ride. I enjoy roller coasters, but it's not worth dying over just to get on one. I can't ride DB due to my thighs(I tried the test seat and it did not turn green). but that's okay. I don't want to be jammed in just to be able to ride. I feel very sorry for the victim who apparently didn't feel safe in the restraint and I feel sorry for the family having to see this happen to her. Prayers for the family!

• Like 20

^Very true...

Any of the ride ops here can all tell stories and stories...

My though...as a ride op I would hate to have this happen to my crew, myself, or while I was on shift...its not just the family that's affected, these employees, wow...I can't even imagine what they're feeling at this point. To hit e stop, make that call, and close the ride down amidst all of this...just wow, I can't even imagine

• Like 3

Yes it will dispatch only when criteria is met for a safe dispatch and is cleared by ride ops, however once you hit dispatch and roll out of the station, its up to the restraints and safety systems on the train to do its job, the computer doesn't track data and work with the train like that during its course. The only thing the plc works with after dispatch is anything to move trains, and the block systems

• Like 1

Yes it will dispatch only when criteria is met for a safe dispatch and is cleared by ride ops, however once you hit dispatch and roll out of the station, its up to the restraints and safety systems on the train to do its job, the computer doesn't track data and work with the train like that during its course. The only thing the plc works with after dispatch is anything to move trains, and the block systems

I know its too early to tell but this would seem to indicate that this accident had nothing to do with the ride operator's actions.

The ride operators may have secured the restraint, but failed to make sure the rider met the riders safety guidelines for that particular ride. For instance the guy at darien lake. His harnesses were both secured by ride ops and OK, however, he did not meet the guidelines (above knee bilateral amputee) therefore operator error. The plc only gets a yes or no if the restraints are secured and the system meets criteria to dispatch, that's it. Everything else revolves on knowledge and eyes of ride operators.

• Like 1

Diamondback has easily the most sophisticated lap bar safety system in the entire park.

Why are we comparing it to Texas giant? B&M has a reputation for building safe and reliable rides. This unrelated event on a very dissimilar ride should not be causing this sudden obsession with the lap bars failing on Diamondback. You will never spend a second in motion on Diamondback without a secured lap bar, so don't worry about it.

Never say never. Freak accidents can happen...

I have always been a fan of the second or third fail safe of a seat belt. It may not do much more than just keep you from falling out in the end. I look at a ride like Vortex. If the restraint fails in the cork screw at least a seat belt would help keep the restraint from flinging open....

I already worry about these big massive machines breaking down and putting the rider in danger...

• Like 2

I am pretty large in size (height/weight) 6'5" 265LBS. I have been on several coasters that I hear that "click" several times.

With that being said, I have experienced myself, having my lap bar comfortable (at least two clicks) but I have a little room for comfort.

Then the ride op comes by and shoves down on the restraint even more. This makes it uncomfortable to some extent. Hearing this sad and tragic story, makes me glad they do it.

Park employees should be trained to determine whether a safety bar is in a safe position in relation to a persons body weight, Martin said.

Its not known if the Six Flags employee who checked the safety restraint of Esparza, who was a large woman, took that into account.

I was afraid this would play into the accident. I have always had a problem with those of "Exceptional Size" being jammed into a seat. Just doesn't seem safe to me. I would rather be told no than to die from a failed restraint.

As a woman of "exceptional size" I had an incident on FOF about 4 years ago where a ride op was trying to force the lap bar down enough to have the seat belt click on the side of the train. I told the ride op " if you have to do all of this to allow me to ride that's crazy, unsafe, and point blank i'm not riding" The ride ops did let me off the ride. I enjoy roller coasters, but it's not worth dying over just to get on one. I can't ride DB due to my thighs(I tried the test seat and it did not turn green). but that's okay. I don't want to be jammed in just to be able to ride. I feel very sorry for the victim who apparently didn't feel safe in the restraint and I feel sorry for the family having to see this happen to her. Prayers for the family!

My husband is 6'6" and not a tiny guy. He too had the same happen at FoF. There were 2 teens trying to use their feet to get the restraints to lock while my husband kept saying "just let me out, it's ok. No need to hurt me, make everyone wait and possibly damage the restraints for a ride." They kept insisting they could get him in til I finally grabbed the guys arm and told him to STOP. I rode and when we were done, called a super to explain why it wasn't needed. I figure it more common for larger people to whine about how unjust it is that the rides cater to smaller bodies, so the attendants get in the habit of slamming and jamming to make it happen.

• Like 4

I've always worried about something like this happening on Diamondback. I doubt that it ever would, but you can't help from keeping thoughts like that from running through your mind as you're hanging completely forward right at the the top of the hill. I know I've always said that I'd feel 100% safer if there was a secondary system such as a seatbelt. I know you probably don't need it, but I know for a fact that it would ease my mind. Supposedly you can ride this ride with no restraint and come back safe and sound? I'm not sure I completely believe this. I know on that first hill, just as you're about to go down, you're sort of hanging there looking straight down. I'm always falling forward with all of my weight on the lap restraint. I find it absolutely impossible to lean back in my seat when you're hanging there at that angle. I don't know, I just don't see how a second type of restraint could really hurt anything. I'd say I'd rather be safe than sorry! Nothing wrong with being too safe, is there?

Not the best place to list pet peeves, but here goes.

In the comments section of one of the many stories carrying this, someone posted that it was time to treat heavier people the way smokers are treated. No! Let's not do this. There are myriad reasons for why a person would be heavy, and if people were to attempt this stunt, I would definitely have to go to battle. We don't need more of that. Pick on me if you want, but don't point barbs at someone who possibly CANNOT help their condition.

Also, with makeshift memorials, why do people put stuffed animals as a tribute to someone who cannot possibly appreciate it? I'm seeing pictures at the entrance of The Texas Tornado with a stuffed animal as a memorial tribute. Every time I see toys at a memorial, (And I probably think this way due to the kindness of Ruth Lyons,) I think, there are hospital wards throughout the state where a child would love to have that toy to cheer them up. Why let the toys get wet and dirty in the weather by putting it in a memorial? Let some child appreciate it, instead.

• Like 6