Death at Six Flags over Texas

Park employees should be trained to determine whether a safety bar is in a safe position in relation to a person’s body weight, Martin said.

It’s not known if the Six Flags employee who checked the safety restraint of Esparza, who was a large woman, took that into account.

I was afraid this would play into the accident. I have always had a problem with those of "Exceptional Size" being jammed into a seat. Just doesn't seem safe to me. I would rather be told no than to die from a failed restraint.

I feel terrible for the kids that had to witness this happen to their mother.

As a woman of "exceptional size" I had an incident on FOF about 4 years ago where a ride op was trying to force the lap bar down enough to have the seat belt click on the side of the train. I told the ride op " if you have to do all of this to allow me to ride that's crazy, unsafe, and point blank i'm not riding" The ride ops did let me off the ride. I enjoy roller coasters, but it's not worth dying over just to get on one. I can't ride DB due to my thighs(I tried the test seat and it did not turn green). but that's okay. I don't want to be jammed in just to be able to ride. I feel very sorry for the victim who apparently didn't feel safe in the restraint and I feel sorry for the family having to see this happen to her. Prayers for the family!

This reminds me of an incident I had on Drop Tower a few years ago before I lost weight. I couldn't get my shoulder harness down far enough to buckle the safety belt. It took two ride operators to get me buckled. One had to push down on the harness, while the other buckled me in. After the ride was over, I couldn't get the seatbelt unbuckled because there was no wiggle room whatsoever to push down on the shoulder harness in order to get some slack on the belt to where I could unbuckle it. So, I had to wait for a ride operator to come and unbuckle me. I look back at that incident now after what happened at Six Flags and just cringe at what could have been. In hindsight, I should've did exactly what you did and just told the ride ops to let me off. Although I don't have any issues now since losing some weight, if it ever happens again, I will be taking the walk of shame over trying to squeeze my way onto something. It's just not worth it.

• Like 5

I'm a bigger guy 6'4 or 6'5 about 250 and I've never had to have any help with a restraint only one I have problems with is Adventure Express

(I have to turn my legs sideways and under the lap bar till it is shut then move them back to a seated position the lap bar can then do it's job. I also will make the restraint a little tighter to myself and sometimes uncomfortable but I'm a paranoid person so I'd rather be safe than sorry

I'm a bigger guy 6'4 or 6'5 about 250 and I've never had to have any help with a restraint only one I have problems with is Adventure Express

(I have to turn my legs sideways and under the lap bar till it is shut then move them back to a seated position the lap bar can then do it's job. I also will make the restraint a little tighter to myself and sometimes uncomfortable but I'm a paranoid person so I'd rather be safe than sorry

I'm 6'3" and at the time, was about 280, with most of my fat distribution in my stomach area. I have naturally broad shoulders, which doesn't help on rides with shoulder harnesses. With naturally broad shoulders combined with a fat stomach, it caused all kinds of issues, specifically on Drop Tower at that time.

I'm 6'3" and at the time, was about 280, with most of my fat distribution in my stomach area. I have naturally broad shoulders, which doesn't help on rides with shoulder harnesses. With naturally broad shoulders combined with a fat stomach, it caused all kinds of issues, specifically on Drop Tower at that time.

I have a little fat on my stomach but my problem is more my legs than anything else they are pretty long and create very odd angles that sometimes don't work under lap bars. I used to have a little problem on Vortex but I've since lost weight and it's a non-issue. I will say that I won't even attempt to ride Delirium, and Invertigo because of the posted height restrictions that i'm close to be too tall for so I just don't ride them and I accept that wish others would do the same instead of making a scene, ya know?

I have a little fat on my stomach but my problem is more my legs than anything else they are pretty long and create very odd angles that sometimes don't work under lap bars. I used to have a little problem on Vortex but I've since lost weight and it's a non-issue. I will say that I won't even attempt to ride Delirium, and Invertigo because of the posted height restrictions that i'm close to be too tall for so I just don't ride them and I accept that wish others would do the same instead of making a scene, ya know?

Delirium has a test seat you could try, if I remember correctly. I'm about an inch from being too tall, yet I fit in the restraints on Delirium quite comfortably.

• Like 1

Guest Department47

Our larger guests may experience diffculty on Blue Streak, Corkscrew, Disaster Transport, Mantis, Maverick, maXair, Mean Streak, Millennium Force, Mine Ride, Power Tower, Raptor, Skyhawk, Top Thrill Dragster, Wave Swinger, Shoot the Rapids and Wicked Twister.

Yeah, I have difficulty riding Disaster Transport now too.

• Like 14

check out this article. http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/22/us/texas-roller-coaster-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Basically contradicts some key items the initial witness was saying. In particular, son-in-law Ronald Segovia told CNN that he did not hear his mother-in-law mention that her lap bar did not lock properly, contrary to witness accounts reported by CNN affiliates. Segovia and his wife were sitting in front of Esparza, who was seated by herself on the Texas Giant ride.

Just shows/confirms media outlets will put any idiot on the broadcast. Sensationalism sells and like first impressions that in many cases can be wrong, this quick to report media frenzy we live in causes people to immediately take a side based on what turns out to be inaccurate information.

• Like 7

Our larger guests may experience diffculty on Blue Streak, Corkscrew, Disaster Transport, Mantis, Maverick, maXair, Mean Streak, Millennium Force, Mine Ride, Power Tower, Raptor, Skyhawk, Top Thrill Dragster, Wave Swinger, Shoot the Rapids and Wicked Twister.

I don't... :ph34r:

-> (It's in my back yard) <-

• Like 2

check out this article. http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/22/us/texas-roller-coaster-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Basically contradicts some key items the initial witness was saying. In particular, son-in-law Ronald Segovia told CNN that he did not hear his mother-in-law mention that her lap bar did not lock properly, contrary to witness accounts reported by CNN affiliates. Segovia and his wife were sitting in front of Esparza, who was seated by herself on the Texas Giant ride.

Just shows/confirms media outlets will put any idiot on the broadcast. Sensationalism sells and like first impressions that in many cases can be wrong, this quick to report media frenzy we live in causes people to immediately take a side based on what turns out to be inaccurate information.

Worse, the ride op was described as nonchalant and uncaring. The ride op has enough on their mind without a person saying such things about them if it is not true.

• Like 4

Wow haha, I just pulled that all off their website, they messed up :P

• Like 1

Wow haha, I just pulled that all off their website, they messed up :P

Also, it makes no mention of Gatekeeper. And my father, who fit many of the rides in the list, wasn't even close on Gatekeeper.

Also, it makes no mention of Gatekeeper. And my father, who fit many of the rides in the list, wasn't even close on Gatekeeper.

If I am not mistaken, GK has a specific row for larger guests.

It does. Still didn't work for him. Yet Corkscrew did. So regular Arrow restraints are more fluffy-friendly than the larger B&M ones.

• Like 2

If the woman was sitting by herself, that explains a lot.

I believe the findings will reveal that there was a flaw in the restraints that allowed her to fall to the side and out of the lapbar on one of the highly banked turns. No doubt her weight contributed to her inability to hold herself in, and interia took over. I would suspect it was simular to the Flight Commander incident that caused the death at KI 20 years ago.

As far as Senator Markey, he's been whining his tune for years... snzzzzz... meanwhile his state had over 28,000 instances of violent crime last year. That's an average of .05% of the states population. Seems he needs a better attention-seeking platform.

• Like 7

Most news reporters walk up to the first gullible person they see, and shove a microphone at them...and they start talking, whether it's true or not.

Of course this morning, some foolish politician (redundant phrase, I know) demands federal regulation on rides.

They seem to think they get paid by the word, and spray forth verbiage without thinking.

Regulations = control = more fines = more regulations = and so on

Most news reporters walk up to the first gullible person they see, and shove a microphone at them...and they start talking, whether it's true or not.

Reporters dont try to find the most gullible person. Reporters end up on the scene or ask for witnesses. Many people are willing to say what happened but not many people are willing to go in front of a camera or on record. Usually the only ones who are willing to go on camera are the crazy ones. The reporter is supposed to tell the story and gather as much information as they can. If no one is willing to talk you have to put the story together with what you have...

• Like 1

Before the current frenzy of being the first with the scoop and all the media outlets available now, investigative reporters existed that would validate to the extent practical whether the folks they would put on camera and what they were saying was even possible. 30 years ago, that witness probably wouldn't have made the news; instead, the media would have reported that a death occurred and details are still forthcoming. Just about anybody who has ridden that coaster, or other coasters, can attest to it is probably impossible being next in line to ride that you can hear and see what is happening on that ride at that moment, unless it happened in the station.

Regardless the outcome of the investigation, most folks are going to remember and repeat in future forums here and elsewhere that the ride op was nonchalant, the rider was concerned the lap bar didn't click enough times, and her 6 year old child next to her witnessed her fly out of the ride. Her comments, if completely proven false, has compromised the reputation of the industry and that park in particular.

• Like 1

Delirium has a test seat you could try, if I remember correctly. I'm about an inch from being too tall, yet I fit in the restraints on Delirium quite comfortably.

I get sick on spinning rides anyway so this just gives me a good reason to tell my friends I can't ride it without dealing with all the peer pressure situations. :lol:

Before the current frenzy of being the first with the scoop and all the media outlets available now, investigative reporters existed that would validate to the extent practical whether the folks they would put on camera and what they were saying was even possible. 30 years ago, that witness probably wouldn't have made the news; instead, the media would have reported that a death occurred and details are still forthcoming. Just about anybody who has ridden that coaster, or other coasters, can attest to it is probably impossible being next in line to ride that you can hear and see what is happening on that ride at that moment, unless it happened in the station.

Regardless the outcome of the investigation, most folks are going to remember and repeat in future forums here and elsewhere that the ride op was nonchalant, the rider was concerned the lap bar didn't click enough times, and her 6 year old child next to her witnessed her fly out of the ride. Her comments, if completely proven false, has compromised the reputation of the industry and that park in particular.

And I would say we are all to blame as media consumers for this shift from investigative reporting to reporting on the fly. 30 years ago, news consumers were different than they are today. If a report comes on tv saying a person died on a roller coaster at 6 flags texas and more details are still coming in. More information tomorrow, you the viewer would jump online. You would look up as much information as you can, twitter reports, other news stations, etc. Other news stations run this interview and you watch them or read about them. You drive up their click/views. You help them increase ad revenue. The original station which aired the "more information to come" story does not get any reads.

In an attempt to gain as much viewership as possible, news stations are being forced to run everything or the competition will. Back in the day, I would arrive on scene (car crash/fire/etc) and interview people. You make an attempt at putting someone on air who is believable but if you got a sound clip of a person saying X happened and your competitor had it. You run your interview. Even if it may be iffy because the viewers want all of the information it can get.

News viewers have helped kill the news media. No body wants to wait any more. A good investigation takes days/weeks/months or years. In the 30 minutes (or less) a reporter is on the scene, very little can be determined. The I-team reports that channel 9 does, happen over a few days or weeks. Its not like that morning the reporter woke up and decided to investigate.

Its easy to blame the "news" but we wouldnt take a "wait and see" approach to headlines as viewers.

• Like 4

Shark6495 - thanks for elaborating on my thought - I wanted to expand with some of that but didn't want to make the post too long. You are absolutely correct in that as a society, almost everything is a now, now basis. It is hard to fault the media for what they do because society is driving them to that mindset. Doesn't make it right, but that is the direction they are being pushed into.

• Like 2

Totally get it. I guess I get a bit passioned when it comes to discussing news. I still have many friends across the country who are great reporters. I had a chance to work with these guys and ladies and am honored to call em friends. So apologizes if it came across a bit rash...

• Like 1