Death at Six Flags over Texas

Perhaps my gullible statement was extreme, however, interviewing whomever will talk and then reporting it as "eyewitness" fact does not constitute "making" a story from what you have. The reporter should cross reference information to conclude what is reliable. This is why we have so many corrected headlines and people being dragged through the coals on false or inaccurate information. The reporter should always consider the source of information.

The pressures of deadlines and being first unfortunately often mean that a reporter who does so will find himself or herself in the unemployment line.

Media used to have many editors, proofreaders and factcheckers. Most are no longer employed in the media or are making far, far less than they once did while having far greater workloads and being stretched way too thin.

The high sounding ethics, virtues and integrity taught in journalism schools (themselves anachronisms) are not so easy to attain in the real world as opposed to the academic ivory tower.

• Like 1

What I find sad is how people are now associating this death at other places. For example at Cedar Point yesterday halfway up the lift on Millennium Force these girls behind me were talking about this accident, and about how they hoped they wouldn't fall out. An even worse one yesterday was when a Millennium train stopped on the lift hill (it does that a lot, and I've found it sometimes it happens if a seatbelt gets unbuckled), and some kids in line behind me kept saying that they thought it stopped since someone fell out. This accident in Texas has sparked fear everywhere.

• Like 3

^I've never heard that before. Then why, when the ride stops, does it take 20 minutes to get it started again? And someone has to go in the elevator up the lift to the train?

I still think it's because of seat belt issues. I was told this by a park worker before. Not sure if they were joking or if this is the case. If there's anyone on here who knows for sure, please let me know.

I can vouch for the seat belt being a reason it stops on the lift. On opening weekend we got stopped while riding the blue train on the lift for about 25 minutes, with an area supervisor and maintenance worker coming up in the elevator telling us they evacuated a woman behind us due to her seat belt coming undone. Once we got going again we were on the last blue train as they cycled it off and had that seat blocked off later when we got back in line.

Edit: after Terpy's post, I figured I needed to add clarification, they did see the seat belt come undone and hang to the side while leaving the station.

Great article. It brings up the questions we have debated on her time and time again. Do you make seats that fit larger guests or do you limit larger guests from riding? Do you add a seat belt to existing rides or let them be?

IMO, I feel that we can only make things so safe. Adding a seat belt or at least a belt that can attach to the seat and restraint would be an easier fix. This would also lead to a customer feeling safer because "if the restraint fails, at least this seat belt will help keep me from flinging out"... Also rides are designed for the guest to hold on correct? Maybe stricter enforcement of these rules? But how many rights of passage have their been for the first person in their group to be able to hold there arms up the entire ride of The Beast. (I remember I was 9/10 when I was finally able to do that).

Limiting larger guests? Well maybe. Honestly, Im just glad I dont have to make any of these decisions...

• Like 1

Iron Rattler reopens with new seatbelts.

I still haven't heard anything recently about Texas Giant.

Really? I haven't heard anything. But one of the park officials did say Texas Giant would be closed indefinitely. This is the same issue as Flight Commander, someone fell out and it could have easily been avoided by putting in seat dividers (in this case seatbelts) but they decided to close the ride. I still kinda wish I got to ride these wonderful looking coasters. Hopefully they reopen but I'm not so sure.

Iron Rattler reopens with new seatbelts.

I still haven't heard anything recently about Texas Giant.

Really? I haven't heard anything. But one of the park officials did say Texas Giant would be closed indefinitely. This is the same issue as Flight Commander, someone fell out and it could have easily been avoided by putting in seat dividers (in this case seatbelts) but they decided to close the ride. I still kinda wish I got to ride these wonderful looking coasters. Hopefully they reopen but I'm not so sure.

FYI, KI didn't permanently close Flight Commander after the accident.

Following the accident on June 9th 1991, FC was closed for the remainder of the season pending a large investigation. Ultimately the seats/restraints were altered on the attraction and it re-opened in 1992 (the season following the accident.)

It was never a hugely popular attraction, and ultimately low ridership resulted in it's removal. The attraction operated, I believe, 3 more seasons after the tragedy. It was removed (if memory serves me) after 1994.