Last Trip for awhile

thedevariouseffect

OK everyone, figured I'd at least give some info out...

Anyways left base at about 1650 or so, and got to drive through a beautiful storm. Heading into it before the rain you could just see beautiful streamers of cloud to ground lightning. Then on one of the straight aways before Caesars creek, you could see as I approached a wall of rain, absolutely awesome. That storm kept going until I got back onto 71s or right before it, very hard rain, lots of close lightning, loads of fun.

Anyways got to the park at about 1800, everything was down until I got right on the front gate, from there some rides started sending empty trains or test cycles, great timing. First things first went to Eiffel Tower to surprise girlfriend and go take a look at the construction from above. With a fresh coat of rain the ground gets nice and dark and cleans the concrete up nicely you can see exactly what they're working on. Now a few new things. First there is a tarp or plastic material covering a large area just southwest of the main bit of footers that have been poured since opening day. Second, one footer has a lime green piece of PVC pipe sticking out of the hole. My only guess is its used for drainage, or bringing material into the hole. Not too sure, need to elaborate on this. Btw girlfriend thought it was a precursor to a support...she has much to learn. Worlds first PVC supported roller coaster lol.another nifty find is the vast area of fresh dirt behind ae in the treeline that we cannot see what they're really doing. Here's the spooky and chilling reality details. If my belongings weren't stolen I got some great shots along the fence. First, the main fence has a large gap from the ground to where the boards start, stick a camera in there and get a few shots, you get a lot of detail looking right and center, left there's currently a huge dirt pile but I'm sure that will move. Moving left along the fence there are still a few big cracks that allow you to see behind ae, they are really moving a lot of earth over there. Moving left, here's my biggest kicker. Go look for a how about 24 inches from the bottom right after the doors going right or so. Looking through it there's a footer built into the mulch basically gets so close to the fence you could literally almost touch it. However, this footer has the iconic slit in it just like Diamondbacks footer had. You can get an excellent shot of this, and to me honestly that was enough to sell me that its going to be a b&m, however which ride are they manufacturing for us. More fence line details, going further right towards where the fence cuts off behind the food stand there. If you look through the cracks and small holes in the woods carefully, you can see the precursor to a new footer they're digging that has the pvc pipe sticking out of it. You can really gauge how big this footer is, its deep as hell. Also from this angle you can get a vast shot of the sea of footers going out in that direction. I advise anyone to get these shots and take a look, I would have pictures again, but again, people are assholes and steal belongings.

Anyways from here I was hungry and went over to festhaus as it was the closest good food place and Asian food sounded good. Panda express isn't a bad deal and it is good food, small gripes though. Fried rice was good, but you can taste the frozen vegetables, which to me is a shame in Asian cuisine, alas this is fast food in an amusement park. They do give you a ton of rice though, taking the plate they basically give you about 4 cups of rice on the plate. Now for orange chicken, they do skimp you. You get maybe half a fistful of orange chicken to go with your mountain of rice. Lastly, this is my biggest complaint with them though. The cup they give you is huge. I believe it to be 32oz, but can't be too sure. For the price its a good bit of drink, however I made barely a dent in it and ended up throwing away 2/3+ of soda, which to me just seemed wasteful. Last food critique, the chili sauce is hot actually. Put a few drops of one packet onto my rice and wow, added nice sizzling flavor. Being in the military, hot sauce coats everything, so i was very excited to see my tradition continues at ki.Good prices overall and its not a terrible deal, but portion control a bit better and offer better serving sizes.

Whilst eating I caught a few minutes of British invasion. I'm not the biggest live e person, if I see it cool, if not, oh well. However I do expect it to be a good show if I see it like ed Alonzo for instance. The singing was ok, there were times though where voices got off key or missed a queue, act. It wasn't bad as I'm at least glad its coming from their vocal chords not a prerecording. The music is lame, it sounds like its coming from a cheap karaoke machine, almost slightly polyphonic. Biggest gripe however is their choreography is so lame it hurts to watch. It reminds me of those crappy childhood plays that are so poorly put together and then just falls apart while you watch. Its a tad disappointing as its a huge stage with new lighting and probably good aspiring drama majors, by this programming is extremely lacking.

I got out of there and decided to get one ride of Firehawk in as the line as small, and its been quite some time. The crew was doing...meh as per usual, but they jib was getting done better than I had seen during kic day. I was happy they were at least grabbing single riders as my 35 minute wait turned into a 15 minute wait, very fretful there, other crews need to follow that lead to at least optimize capacity as much as possible. Also while waiting, looking at the double spine of the first fan curve after the initial drop, wow. I saw lots and lots of green paint. Was somewhat sad to see that nice pretty color after not seeing it like that for so many years at Geauga lake, man I miss that place. Anyways good ride, always kinda fun, except after a leg and cardio day, that able support digs into your shin a bit, and I somewhat regretted riding, or doing 200m of lunges, maybe both.

After leaving there I walked through coney and smelled the usual smell of vomit around zephyr and under racer, why is it always like that over there? Even opening day that smell exists. anyways walked back through there and river town, stopped at 3 point challenge where one guest actually got up to 11, very impressive. I'm sure I could do the same if I followed him as they started playing derezzed from the from legacy soundtrack. I was a very happy nerd for a few minutes watching.

Anyways went through there, beast was down for something, emt-ps went up the exit with gloves, so not sure if injury or what, line posted an hour wait, figured get it later. Went over to Diamondback by about 1900, 30 min wait. Waited in line, called out a line jumper trying to join friends, I don't think they've ever heard a military yell or been scolded to that degree. The teen tried yelling back but he lost that battle. I hope this was maybe recorded or posted somewhere, as it was quite amusing to have clapping when he left the line and went out through the queue. Anyways, halfway through the queue, don came over with a safety spiel. One,Don, why do you call it "the Diamondback?" I about cringed when I heard him say it lol, also it needs updated, it says single rider line is on the left rain up the stairs. This spiel needs a tad of updating haha. Now Diamondback crew has made leaps and bounds since I saw them last, I was actually a bit impressed. Only two drawbacks so far was the lack of spieling or good spieling and they don't pair any single riders up. Even when I got to turnstile they didn't pair me up. From here I got in the very last row right side, the guy who has ridden this 9800 times (which I still find utterly stupid) got in the row in front of me. Both of us are enthusiasts, why can't you ride with me, so two more riders can get on and maximize efficiency, but no. Also he sits and secures his harness, but doesn't drop the one next to his. Really dude, you should know better. Anytime I get on I secure the harness next to me to speed up the ride ops process to hit a better interval, help their capacity as much as I can, and give them a nod that I appreciate and care about them. Little upset with that guy. However I will say this, diamond back is ROUGH. Go ride green train last row right side. It is a violent shake now. I will say this was my first ride on Diamondback where I actually did not enjoy my ride at all. After concurring with the extreme enthusiast he even said its rough and getting worse. He also mentioned brown train was just as bad, I don't remember if he said anything about red. Anyways if you don't believe me go ride it, I was very disappointed. Not sure if bad wheels or bearings, or if they're not transferring the units off at night per b&m guidelines to not develop flat spots in the wheels by sitting there not moving.

Anyways got off of there, met up with girlfriend. Went over some stuff, left the park because we figured dive in movie sounded like a good idea. Went and bought cheesy bathing suits and went into Soak City and changed. Now this was a very cool idea. Whoever got the original idea for this, I know beach next door did it, and I think Knott's does it as well, but this was really neat. We sat in chairs for about half of the movie and got in the pool. But wow, great experience and totally a lot of fun. I'm surprised they didn't use both wave pools however to maximize attendance as it was pretty high, and I don't like that they limit the amount of the people in the water, or that have inner tubes. Anyways that was really cool and great experience, my girlfriends friend also mentioned Ouimet was in the park yesterday as area sups were going crazy. Not sure if this was true or not but I didn't catch site of him, maybe he will be here the rest of the weekend possibly I don't know.

Last bit of my story, this is my lesson to everyone. Either leave stuff in the car unless your riding rides, or get an all day locker. We left our bags for maybe no more than 30 min or less, and now my wallet, phone, and watch all missing. You have no clue how ridiculously angry I am. The miney ' plastic, and stuff, whatever. However in there I had my airmans coin which is given to us by our MTI upon graduation of basic. You can't just get another one of those, that's like your career right there. Just utterly devastating. Second I had pictures and images I can't get back or replace that hadn't been backed up since my last time I did a backup. About three weeks ago I put down my dog due to a huge illness, and those were the last times I ever got to see his face, but I'll never have that back because someone out of greed and desire had to go taking someone else's belongings...just devastating. Anyways let it be leaned through me to all of you, do not make my mistake because these consequences just f*cking hurt...

Anyways not a bad trip, but obviously I have bugger things to deal with at the moment than go to the park and whatnot, as I now have to shell out money to get new ids, platinum pass, phone, nice watch I bought myself for x mas at Kay jewler, act...just...wow. anyways thanks for reading, thanks to the supervisors and security that helped out as much as possible, and lost and found. Sorry I can't give you more details or whatever but right now these are ganna be a rough few weeks I can imagine...

• Like 3

Never, ever, EVER leave anything of value in the pool area. A thieves paradise. Leave anything of value in your car. Parking over there for ERT at 9am seems silly when walking to the front gate, but is rewarded when hitting the water park after lunch. All your stuff is a 2 minute walk away. All I need in my suit pocket is a single car key (remote stays in the car), passes, and credit card/ID if having an adult pop.

• Like 1

I rode with the same guy on DB, and I thought it was getting a little rough as well. I was wearing my KIC shirt, saw Beastie1980, and MDMC01 there. Shame I missed anyone else, is why I wear the shirt ;-). Rough or not I got 5 rides on DB, including my first no hands, and no hands no feet rides, lol. Also got 2 in on The Beast, 1 each AE, FoF, Vortex, Racer,and Fight Deck. Left the park at about 6:30 so I could be home when MrsNC got home from work. I can only imagine my totals without the downtime for weather. Very light crowd through the day time hours.

• Like 2

No one believes me when I talk about the jackhammering on the back of the train on Diamondback. I rode with the 9000+ guy once. When the gate opened he sat in the inside seat basically saying no one else rides with me. I made him scoot over and said I was riding (it was one of the last trains of the night). It was the outside seats not like I was in his space.

I hate to say it but it is people like that who gives enthusiasts a bad name. I have countless times been in line hearing other guests dog the guy wearing 9000 whatever it is Diamondback rides.

• Like 3

I know Gary and he is a decent guy. I think he is trying to reach 10,000 rides by the end of the year. For me that is too much like work to go to a park with a set goal of reaching so many rides on one coaster. There are too many other things inside the park that I want to do. If he gets enjoyment out of it more power to him.

• Like 2

I wouldn't call Gary Coleman an "enthusiast," just some guy who really likes Diamondback.

I wouldn't call him an enthusiast as well. Having worked on the ride while he's visited, having several conversations and rides with him, he is probably one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Getting to know him personally as a crew was great! We all found out that he was a retired minister and has done various other things with his life. On my 300th ride (yes I've counted) he rode with me and bought my on ride photo for me without me even knowing. He brought it to me later and said that it was for me. Gary is a great guy with a great heart! The only time I've ever seen him get "nasty" with anyone is when they've done something against park policy.

I've seen numerous people talking about how they can't stand the guy yet they've never gave themselves the chance to actually get to know him.

• Like 5

I just didn't like that he didn't help the ride out by pairing up with me (only one in that row) and didn't out the restraint next to him down. From my standpoint I'll do what I can to help speed things up or help the ride get more throughput. So just a little...wow man really kinda stuff from me. Personally I think its stupid to get 10k rides but whatever, as long as he doesn't turn into single rider bob or single rider 2.

No enthusiast ever will top segway man at Cedar Point, and he doesn't even ride anything. Great guy

• Like 2

^totally wrong

Segway man has a segway obviously and dresses up in slacks a suit and usually a hat. He has problems moving and walking well which obviously explains the first part. He never rides the ride but he is a huge people watcher and quite a fun and nice guy. He isn't known much to socialize, but one time as Ohio weather usually is we had a freak thunderstorm, and he was caught in the midst before it happened. I had my ride downed and he came in and got out of the rain. I had a bit of time to stand and talk, it was really nice to have that kind of one on one. Every time I saw him in the midway, just a simple nod in my direction was a nice sign of appreciation. He's the only one at the park like that and only guy in the park that's allowed to have a segwa, as they're actually prohibited, he got special permission to do so.

• Like 3

I wouldn't call Gary Coleman an "enthusiast," just some guy who really likes Diamondback.

I wouldn't call him an enthusiast as well. Having worked on the ride while he's visited, having several conversations and rides with him, he is probably one of the nicest guys I've ever met. Getting to know him personally as a crew was great! We all found out that he was a retired minister and has done various other things with his life. On my 300th ride (yes I've counted) he rode with me and bought my on ride photo for me without me even knowing. He brought it to me later and said that it was for me. Gary is a great guy with a great heart! The only time I've ever seen him get "nasty" with anyone is when they've done something against park policy.

I've seen numerous people talking about how they can't stand the guy yet they've never gave themselves the chance to actually get to know him.

I talked to him at DBs exit last year. Just askd him what ride he was on and some small talk. He was polite but I could tell he really didn't want to talk to me, but oh well, can't change other people.

Besides during my tenure dick kinzel didn't walk the midways...more of a slow shuffle...I just love how one time in particular he and I spoke how corkscrew and magnum were his two favorite achievements...to me, you just bought them, ron toomer created them, those are HIS accomplishments, not his

No doubt Kinzel had to pitch the idea of a 200 foot monster and a three time inverting coaster, looping over the midway. Sure Ron Toomer designed them but there is some credit to be owed to management. It's kind of like him saying Top Thrill was his worst career decision--was it entirely Intamin at fault?
  • Like 2

To an extent I see where you're going. However the companies and their creators are the ones that pushed the envelope, and created new thrills, and said, hey, were ganna do this. Its that kind of spark in the coaster world I miss. We need a new arrow dynamics, or at least s&s sansei to pull their heads out of their asses and move forward with something new, exciting, and profitable. B&M may make smooth rides and great quality but they don't have a huge wow kind of thing. They use existing elements or expand on them. Intamin comes up with some crazy stuff, but they lack in putting through and creating a product that doesn't have faults or problems. Arrow coasters really don't have that if you totally look. The only arrow issues I've ever seen is poor brake placement or lack of, valleying, and need for more maint. However I still say the coaster world hasn't had a huge spark since the first 200, 300, and 400 footers. These wing coasters and Zac spins, etc. They're nice, but not, let the world see this, look how amazing this is kind of stuff. Hopefully we see this birth at kind again possibly this year with 2014, if not somewhere within the Cedar Fair chain in the next few years to come.