What Wooden coaster is or was your favorite?

CP&LERR Fan

Of all the choices listed, I chose Son of Beast. When it was first opened, it was (in my mind) epic and was one of my favorites. While The Beast was, is and always will be a classic, I thought Son of Beast was (with the loop) a better ride. Another wooden coaster that stands out to me is Viper at Six Flags Great America. I rode it twice when I went in 2008 and loved it because it had so much airtime. :D

• Like 1

Oh boy, there are TONS of wooden coasters in the USA alone that would fall under the "other" tab here, that exist as of July 2013. :P

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?nm=na&ex=1&ty=2&pl=59&ot=2

According to that search, 124 existing wooden coasters in the USA alone. I have been on 7 of them, so my USA wooden completion% is 5.6%! :P Granted, my vote went to Beast...though I've enjoyed every wooden coaster I have ever been on, which also includes:

-Racer @ Kings Island (Last ride: May 2012, ditto for Beast's last ride)

-Woodstock Express @ Kings Island (Last ride: Summer 2000 :wacko: )

-Raven @ Holiday World (Last ride: June 2013)

-Legend @ Holiday World (Last ride: June 2013)

-Voyage @ Holiday World (Last ride: June 2013)

-Hoosier Hurricane @ Indiana Beach (Last ride: Summer 1999 :wacko:)

Yeah, I don't have much of a list...yet I've still been on the current #1 and #2 longest wooden roller coasters in the world! :P

• Like 1

My favorite wooden roller coaster is and always will be The Beast. It is what I grew up on and it is what I love, in my opinion, there is no other wooden roller coaster that can be compared, because it is simply the legend and grandfather of all wooden roller coasters. I believe that The Beast set the standard in which all wooden coasters are judged and it set the bar pretty high. To John C. Allen, Jeff Gramke, Al Collins, and the construction crews of Kings Island, I once again Thank You for building such a wooden monster that still reigns as the worlds longest wooden roller coaster.

• Like 3

Three words: Ravine Flyer II.

In my opinion, incomparable in the world of wooden coasters.

...LordSkippy...you made me look up this...

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?nm=na&ex=1&ty=2&pl=18965&ot=2

18 wooden coasters in Pennsylvania alone...including the previously mentioned Ravine Flyer II, there's also Phoenix (legendary wooden coaster), Lightning Racer (popular and highly rated GCI wooden dueling coaster), Thunderbolt (classic coaster that still gets great reviews), Twister (Knoebels' take on the classic Mr.Twister), Wildcat (first-ever GCI coaster), Leap-the-Dips (world's oldest operating roller coaster, opened in 1902!)...AND STILL MORE!!! And that's not even counting the awesome-looking steel coasters in this state! (Phantom's Revenge, Skyrush, Hydra the Revenge, etc.)

Pennsylvania...an awesome-looking state for roller coasters...and with how much I've found I enjoy wooden coasters, I now have a sudden urge to visit before I die... :wacko:

Twister (CCI's take on the classic Mr.Twister),

I don't think that is accurate, is it? I thought Twister was a Knoebels in-house build.

Oops! Thanks for correcting me...I thought it was a CCI there but it's not. I'll fix that... :wacko:

Possibly an unpopular opinion: The Boss at Six Flags St. Louis. Voyage and El Toro are tied for a close second.

Boss is like Legend and Raven had a longer baby with literally the perfect ratio of laterals to airtime. And then it's got the "built on the side of a hill" aspect of Voyage that keeps the speed high throughout the ride. The double helix is taken somewhat faster than Legend's, and... AHHH. It's seriously perfect.

Also, in some weird way, it feels like a much more appropriate layout for a Beast sequel than Son of Beast ever did. But maybe that's just me.

• Like 2

I have to go with Beast on this one. Its simply a marvel in the roller coaster world. It has such an eccentric layout, sprawled out over those dense woods. It definitely gives it it's own character, not to mention the legendary position the ride has attained, especially here in the Greater Cincinnati area. I kind of consider it the ride of passage around here, 'you haven't been on a real roller coaster until you've ridden The Beast', so to speak. I also love the history surrounding it, being built and designed by hand, the work the late John Allen put into it, the many modifications to the trains and tunnels on the track, simply extraordinary. It also has the greatest night time experience on any coaster I've ever ridden, period.

I have to mention a close second for me, being Dollywood's Thunderhead. Whereas Beast is spread out, Thunderhead is a very intense and relentless ride. From the second the train disengages the chain, its nothing but mayhem; tons of air time and lateral forces throughout. It even seems every segment has some small dip or jump designed into them, it just never lets up until the final brakes. Millennium Flyers are pure win for wooden coaster trains.

Of wooden coasters of the more classic variety, I have to go with Hershey Park's Comet. It is immaculately maintained and still rides like new despite being nearly 70 years old. It has great air time and a very nostalgic feel to it, kind of reminiscing back to the early days of amusement parks and roller coasters. Its a beauty at night too, rolling along the classic part of Hershey's midway strung up in lights. That's one ride I hope stays around a long time, an often under appreciated ride at Hershey IMO.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...