Could Vekoma Trains work on Vortex?

homestar92

As much as I love the look and feel of the classic Arrow trains, I would be all for the Vekoma MK-1212 trains.

If Vortex ever received those trains, its already good ride experience could be even BETTER. Not to mention that many who are turned off by Vortex's jerkiness/roughness would perhaps be willing to give it another shot.

I still think Vortex is great the way it is, but I'm not opposed to any improvements! :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VortexBFForever said:

As much as I love the look and feel of the classic Arrow trains, I would be all for the Vekoma MK-1212 trains.

If Vortex ever received those trains, its already good ride experience could be even BETTER. Not to mention that many who are turned off by Vortex's jerkiness/roughness would perhaps be willing to give it another shot.

I still think Vortex is great the way it is, but I'm not opposed to any improvements! :D

The Arrow trains make Vortex iconic. The trains actually are one of my favorite details about the ride. Although, some upgrades on them would be nice! 

• Like 1

Speaking of The Vortex trains... when was it that they put the walls in the front of the front seats of each train?

My memory serves me that I used to be able to stretch my legs all the way out into the front area of the trains when I rode, and found out when I finally got to get back on in the 30th anniversary season that they had put a wall up there. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Speaking of The Vortex trains... when was it that they put the walls in the front of the front seats of each train?

My memory serves me that I used to be able to stretch my legs all the way out into the front area of the trains when I rode, and found out when I finally got to get back on in the 30th anniversary season that they had put a wall up there. 

I have wondered that too.  I always liked sitting in the front of each car as there was so much room.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lifetimecoaster said:

Yeah I remember that too. Loved the front when I was younger and it was just an empty shell. I haven't ridden in a while, but I haven't ridden anywhere but 5-1 in years, so I have no idea when the wall was added.

I love the trains and of course this ride is ridiculously picturesque and a delightful throwback, but I think a train swap might make this much more ride-able for the GP, and the more people actually ride it, the more the park might see it as worth keeping. I haven't seen it as anything but a walk-on the last several times I've been.

• Like 1

I’m not 100% but I wanna say it was that same year I’m thinking they did it when they refurbished The Vortex sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BringBackOurEagles said:

Yeah I remember that too. Loved the front when I was younger and it was just an empty shell. I haven't ridden in a while, but I haven't ridden anywhere but 5-1 in years, so I have no idea when the wall was added.

I love the trains and of course this ride is ridiculously picturesque and a delightful throwback, but I think a train swap might make this much more ride-able for the GP, and the more people actually ride it, the more the park might see it as worth keeping. I haven't seen it as anything but a walk-on the last several times I've been.

I have never waited more than 30 minutes for Banshee, Diamondback, or Vortex. I remember waiting in lines for Vortex all the way to the Juke Box Diner, and the line went quick. Vortex, Banshee, and Diamond back are good at cycling people off and on the rides. I also am impressed with Mystic's load/unload times, as I have only waited an hour max for that ride, even when I have been told the queue is almost two hours long. Banshee and Diamond back have also been quoted to me as two hour waits, when they are less than 20 minutes with several queues open. Vortex had a line last Saturday, but we waited maybe 10 minutes. The Bat is also one that is almost always a walk-on as well. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 10:52 PM, LondonFreak said:

I have never waited more than 30 minutes for Banshee, Diamondback, or Vortex. I remember waiting in lines for Vortex all the way to the Juke Box Diner, and the line went quick. Vortex, Banshee, and Diamond back are good at cycling people off and on the rides. I also am impressed with Mystic's load/unload times, as I have only waited an hour max for that ride, even when I have been told the queue is almost two hours long. Banshee and Diamond back have also been quoted to me as two hour waits, when they are less than 20 minutes with several queues open. Vortex had a line last Saturday, but we waited maybe 10 minutes. The Bat is also one that is almost always a walk-on as well. 

I think the Diamondback is well known in the coaster community for stacking trains. You can thank the seatbelts for that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I think the Diamondback is well known in the coaster community for stacking trains. You can thank the seatbelts for that. 

Remember when they just had to push the restraint down and go? Ahh the memories.. which begs the question, will the new Giga come with the seatbelts installed or will it be like the original Diamondback 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FoF96" said:

Remember when they just had to push the restraint down and go? Ahh the memories.. which begs the question, will the new Giga come with the seatbelts installed or will it be like the original Diamondback 

Seatbelts, Cedar Fair will do anything they can to have less liabilities!

• Like 1

But almost every other coaster has belts of some sort at KI. And Goliath at OG doesn't have belts, and in my anecdotal experience, dispatches much slower.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My first year riding DB was the last year before the seatbelts. There has not been a perceptible difference in time to send out trains before and after belts. Diamondstack was definitely a name used before the seatbelts.

IME it is the bins and riders who need extra work to get their clamshells locked that slow down dispatches, not the belts. When ride ops go along and gather bags rather than allowing people to go to the bins themselves, dispatch speed is greatly increased. 

The 2014 season started without seatbelts but were installed on Diamondback within the first operating month that year.

The first reference of Diamondstack on this forum was June 16, 2013, but was used prior to reference here...

One can search this forum and find where people have done some unofficial timing of dispatches and see that the seatbelts have not increased the dispatch times...ride op records would confirm this as well...as many have said in the past, for the most part delays are guest driven with issues other than seatbelts...