Brain Eating Amoeba at Willow Springs Water Park

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/29/girl-contracts-brain-eating-amoeba-after-swimming-at-arkansas-water-park/

12-year-old Arkansas girl has contracted parasitic meningitis, a rare and deadly disease caused by a brain-eating amoeba, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Arkansas Department of Public Health.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/29/girl-contracts-brain-eating-amoeba-after-swimming-at-arkansas-water-park/#ixzz2aTJ6FIuj

I heard from the doctor say for the most part, this would happen at ponds, lakes and not at water parks that has the water chlorinated. As for going into ponds and lakes, hold pinch your nose close when you go into the water and not give it an avenue to enter the body, said the doctor.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update from two weeks ago:

http://www.fox19.com/story/23081120/ar-12-year-old-girl-may-win-fight-against-brain-eating-amoeba

EDIT:

More recent update from 8/22: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/08/arkansas_girl_is_third_ever_to.html

Five hours after that article was published, the boy mentioned at the end of that article also beat it: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/22/father-says-treatment-beats-brain-eating-amoeba/2684063/

Two survivors in one day, after only two in the previous 50 years. Wow. Modern medicine is amazing.

Edited by jcgoble3
  • Like 8

Isn't the danger of this what ended River Country?

Yes. A young boy died after swimming at River Country in 1980. However it continued to operate until 2001. The addition of the other waterparks negated it's necessity, but also stricter laws in Florida were requiring that Disney install costly filtering systems into Bay Lake in order to kill the possible bacteria. They opted to close RC only to leave it standing in disrepair. (You can still see it as you pass by Fort Wilderness on the water taxis in Bay Lake. I just saw it in April when I was there.)

Here's the new article that made national headlines in 1980:

Thursday, August 28, 1980.

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - A rare but deadly disease caused by an amoeba found in Florida fresh-water lakes has claimed its fourth victim—a New York youngster who spent his vacation swimming at Walt Disney World’s River Country.

The disease, amoebic meningoencephalitis, attacks the nervous system and brain, doctors say. It killed two Florida children earlier this month and appears to have been the cause of death of another youngster, a state health official said.

The latest death was that of an 11-year-old boy who visited the Orlando area during the first week of August and swam at the water attraction at Disney World, said Dr. John McGarry, director of the Orange County Health Department.

The child died after the amoeba entered his nose, went through the nasal passage and attacked the nervous system, including the brain, said Dr. Robert Gunn, state epidemiologist.

The boy, who was not identified by New York or Florida health authorities, died last Friday.

The story went on to describe the other three deaths, based on information from David Voss of the Florida Department of Rehabilitative Services. These deaths did not involve River Country.

Several other "lake parks" throughout the US have shuttered from the threat of this type of bacteria. In the 1970's, prior to the evolution of the modern water-park, there were lots of small man-made lakes with hillside waterslides, zip lines, trapeze and diving boards that drew lots of tourists. Obviously the modern waterparks caused a lot of them to cease operation, but also growing concern over the cleanliness of the water shuttered many as well. I remember that when I was a kid, there were always a plethura of brochures advertising local "swimming holes" whenever you traveled and stopped at tourist info centers. (Cherokee/Gatlinburg used to be chock full of 'em.) You sure don't see those now!

When I grew up in Virginia, there was once a park called "Club Lake Ahoy" that was a man-made lake with such slides, towers, zip lines etc. It closed after years, and even had a death with which the cause was never revealed. Some speculated it was related to bacteria. Club Lake Ahoy has it's own Wikipedia and Facebook page. Here's a pic taken at Club Lake Ahoy.

15324_1322757305514_674898_n.jpg

• Like 2

This just happened recently in Florida....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/15/health/amoeba-case-florida-warning

My guess is this amoeba is not as rare as they claim it is....I think it is conditional situation that creates the amoeba. BTW, swimming in lakes, streams and rivers is just as hazardous for parasites as anyplace. Also, to a lesser degree, tap water can have amoebas and those using Neti Pots to clean their sinuses are recommended to use distilled water (boiled) to prevent the same thing.

I know this sounds paranoid, but what about water rides that use pond water as the source of motion. Is it possible to get that water into your sinuses and allow access for an amoeba? Personally, I'd prefer clean, chlorine shocked water over pond water any day.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57499285-10391704/tap-water-in-neti-pots-behind-two-brain-eating-amoeba-deaths-in-2011-investigation-finds/

• Like 2

It can happen, but the possibility of this Amoeba getting from the upper part of your airway (olfactory mucosa up past where your fingers can dig :P), to invading this mucosa and penetrating as far as penetrating the CNS to the brain through the base of the skull there...that's alot of hard work for this thing. However when it can, it will wreak havoc.

The biggest thing is identifying this, and then treatment has to be 100% effective and hit every outcome, this has an over 99% fatality rate...scary stuff

• Like 2

It can happen, but the possibility of this Amoeba getting from the upper part of your airway (olfactory mucosa up past where your fingers can dig :P), to invading this mucosa and penetrating as far as penetrating the CNS to the brain through the base of the skull there...that's alot of hard work for this thing. However when it can, it will wreak havoc.

The biggest thing is identifying this, and then treatment has to be 100% effective and hit every outcome, this has an over 99% fatality rate...scary stuff

Like a science fiction movie...yikes!...growing up in the country, we used to go to a creek and swim in open water....its low water now and mostly farm runoff with a county dump (that serves four counties) upstream...no telling what kind of mutated creatures are in it now....including brain eating amoebas.

• Like 1

Never swim at Columbus's "beach" at Alum Creek Reservoir. In addition to what's upstream, you have to worry about what's under it. Not to mention that many use the beach itself as a large off-leash play area for their dogs.

You should see what Thunder looks like after the water is pumped back out..

Nasty

I've never ridden that, nor do I plan to. If I'm going to get drenched in Lake Erie water, I'd at least want fresh Lake Erie water!

• Like 1

... and poop.

I have a rule. I don't swim in water I can't see my feet in.

I once walked out into Lake Erie at CP. Blech! It was the slimiest water bottom I've ever felt.

You and me both sir!!! Toilet water is not an option.... I've been called a turd before, but for Pete sakes...I don't like swimming with my own kind...LOL

• Like 1

As a matter of fact...in Florida, I will go knee deep on the Atlantic side, and toe deep on the gulf side....yucky, slimy water! Now Hawaii, on the other hand....In Maui, the water is crystal clear...so clear you can't tell how deep you are...but the creatures, and waves are bigger there as well, so my paranoia kicks in and I stay away from that water too....what can I say. I have a belief that the sharks and other fish will think I'm a tasty morsel....LOL

• Like 1

^^ In addition to the modern cemeter(ies), they also flooded several Adena mounds.

As for Thunder, it's still lake water trapped in a small (and evidently dirty) area, even when recently pumped in. I can't imagine it being very "fresh" by mid-afternoon.

Never swim at Columbus's "beach" at Alum Creek Reservoir. In addition to what's upstream, you have to worry about what's under it. Not to mention that many use the beach itself as a large off-leash play area for their dogs.

OMG! I live 20 minutes from East Fork lake and somewhere beneath is a small town....you know there has to be graveyards scattered throughout the covered countryside.....just got the heebie jeebies!

I'm assuming Willow Springs is fed by...Willow Springs? Not much of a chance for chlorination. Anyway...I think the thing that completely grosses me out at water parks is when parents take a baby....in a disposable diaper...into the water...how incredibly disgusting.

• Like 1

You know, I was always told.... when I worked there... but don't have it on good authority, that the resevoir used to fill WWC at KI is fed partially by rain-run-off from the parking lot.

I always wondered that, it seems like a rather good use of water conservation for the time the ride was created,

Also, I never understood why the retaining pond was never converted to concrete...I'm sure cost has a lot to do with it, but it certainly wouldn't cost the whole budget to do it...I used to love that ride but in late summer my clothes would dry out and smell like stagnant water the rest of the day....a little water is fine...but sloshing around in wet, pond water clothes is not exactly fun.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Girl released from hospital yesterday, expected to return to school part time next week.

http://www.newser.com/story/174127/girl-the-3rd-known-survivor-of-brain-eating-amoeba.html

Good to see she's doing well!

When researching Schlitterbahn before I went a few years ago, I was surprised to learn that much of the water used comes from the Comal River, which runs right next to the park. Having swam, canoed & kayaked in lakes and rivers for as long as I can remember, this didn't really concern me. I just thought it was novel because I had never been to a waterpark that wasn't chlorinated water before. (And by the way, Schlitterbahn New Braunfels is a great park!)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...