First time at KI.

Besketball

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about all the rides? I want to ride all of them - reguardless of the stories I've heard/the accidents. It sounds awesome, and I am not scared to ride anything.

Don't get me wrong, this is my first amusement park trip, so I have no clue what a real rollercoaster is like but by the videos it looks like I won't be too scared of them. I love rides like Drop Tower (rode the one at the fair, I was wondering how much taller this one is than the puny version) and fast rollercoasters. So, this won't be hard for me. I'll go on the rides without being budged, lol.

Lol, a surprise? Seriously, they look huge and scary but I'm not afraid of heights, lol. :P Oh, and any tips on saving money at the park? I don't have the option of leaving to get fast food or packing a cooler. And if I brought a water bottle, how much do they inforce the no food/drink rule? I've heard they don't really care because water is free at the park.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about all the rides? I want to ride all of them - reguardless of the stories I've heard/the accidents. It sounds awesome, and I am not scared to ride anything.

Don't get me wrong, this is my first amusement park trip, so I have no clue what a real rollercoaster is like but by the videos it looks like I won't be too scared of them. I love rides like Drop Tower (rode the one at the fair, I was wondering how much taller this one is than the puny version) and fast rollercoasters. So, this won't be hard for me. I'll go on the rides without being budged, lol.

Dang - you haven't been to an amusement park? You will be so happy once you visit.

And once you ride Diamondback and The Beast, you will care for rides for the rest of your life.

• Like 1

Dang - you haven't been to an amusement park? You will be so happy once you visit.

And once you ride Diamondback and The Beast, you will care for rides for the rest of your life.

Nope. Surprisingly, I've never been. Going with a group of friends finally. I wanted to go a couple years ago but didn't get the chance. I cannot WAIT to ride Diamondback or Vortext or The Beast. I'm going mid August so I have some time to plan everything else out. Sadly, our group is stuck going on a Saturday so the rides will be a pain, but we will enjoy every minute nonetheless. x3

I don't know what the policy is exactly, but we've walked into the park w/ water bottles sitting in the cup holders of our kids stroller and no body has ever said anything. I believe the official policy is that they allow things like that for small kids to meet their nutrional needs, but we've never had anyone check our diaper bag with either kid.

You can get as much free water as you want in the park, you can even get 2-3 or more (if you can carry them by yourself) at a time, so carrying in a watter bottle does you no favors as you have to find a place to put it when you get on a ride.

Wear comfortable shoes. That should be obvious, but I (and perahps many) have shoes that are great for running up to the grocery, quick erands, a quick stroll around the neighborhood, etc... however put a couple of miles on them at a time, and they start rubbing into parts of my foot and making them uncomfortable. Depending on what you ride, how you move from attraction to attraction, how long you're there, etc... you may well put in 10+ miles on your day at KI. Last think you want is a pair of shoes that has you calling it quits half way thru.

I'd suggest cargo shorts, or shorts that you can safely secure personal items (phone, keys, wallet, etc..) rollercoasters can swing you around quite a bit, you definently don't want your phone or keys dropping out of your shorts in the middle of Diamondback.

• Like 2

If all you've ever ridden are fair rides, you will be totally shocked at the difference between those and the rides at KI.

As an 8- or 9-year-old kid, I could ride fair rides all day and loved them. My mother brought me to Kings Island and I begged her to let me ride The Racer. It spooked me so bad that I didn't come back to KI for 15 years (2010).

• Like 2

As for saving money on food, if you're looking for a lot of bang for your buck, Hank's burrito shack is a good value. Also, the chicken nuggets and fresh cut fries combo (nuggets and fries) isn't bad at 10.00 at coney mall and riverotwn potato. the park also features subway and chick fila. At larosas, you can get 2 slices and a drink for about $10 as well. Have fun!

Well, since you aren't afraid of heights, I would say Diamondback is a must ride. But you might want to consider trying out some other coasters first. The Racers are fun classic coasters, and usually the wait in line isn't too bad. If you're really brave, I would highly recommend Diamondback or The Beast at night, as they are completely amazing experiences! Have fun, and stay safe!

• Like 1

Sounds like a blast. All I've ever ridden is fair rides, which seem like kids rides to most amusementparkists. XD I simply can't wait. Thanks for all the tips. If my phone smashed on the ground while riding a ride I definitely wouldn't have much fun the rest of the day, haha.

I'm planning to wear cargo shorts with button-up pockets, a black tee shirt (despite the sunrays beating down on me, it's very comfortable), broken-in tennis shoes, and bring about $ 40 with me for food. I'm not planning on buying any suveniers because they are outrageously priced and I don't really need to waste money on any. :P

I might bring a backpack with me for extra stuff (swimsuit, flip flops, sunscreen, hand sanitiser, extra socks, extra tee shirt, extra pair of shorts, sunglasses, water bottle if I decide to bring one, etc). I do understand that this will be a little unconvienient having to haul it around with me lal day, though. Fanny packs just are't my thing, and I need to bring some extra stuff although I won't really be able to head out to the car that much considering the day I have planned for us.

As far as rides go, this is the order I think you should ride. Of couse this is only my opinion and by all means ride anything you want.

#1 Flight deck, its drop is good for first timers. Ride somewhere in the middle first then explore front and back if desired. Apply this to all coasters.

#2 Adventure Express, fun minecar ride

#3 The Racer, you gonna get a bigger drop and airtime than the first two. Be sure to ride in middle seat of any car for a smoother ride.

#4 Delirium, this ride is fun and gives you some good air time, yea I have you double back, but its worth it. Feel free to ride this after flight deck if your ready.

#5 Invertigo, another short coaster, but the feeling you get from going backwards and laying on the restraints is pretty intense. I would sit in a seat facing the lift hill that way you go backwards first, trust me its less rough that way and your not hanging there laying on the restraits going up the hill.

#6 Vortex, this one a little rough but intense and fun. Sit in 5th car 1st seat, its the seat to ride that doesnt beat you up too bad, or any front seat of a car, something about being in the back of the car that makes it more rough. 5-1 is the only place I sit now. The ride camera is towards the end you will go up and around to the left then as your approaching a loop its right there.

#7 The Beast, just like on The Racer sit in the middle off the car, something about a wheel seat that jars you to death. My second fav ride there! The ride camera is on the first rop right before you go in first tunnel.

#8 Diamondback, the best ride there. No matter where you sit on this ride is awesome. Very front great, it feels like your flying the whole time. Then the very back first hill drop is just amazing. This ride is very smooth and intense. The ride camera is right after a trim, you will top a hill then drop into a left bank and its right there in the curve. I beleive its after second hill after left banked turn.

#9 Flight of Fear, lay your head back, lay your head back. Try to sit in front of car is you need more leg room. The ride camera I beleive as your being launched out, I may be mistaken.

#10 Firehawk, this ride you lay down going up the lift hill then you flip on your stomach and you fly. I dont car much for this ride, doesnt feel safe to me. The ride camera is right after the first drop.

#11 Drop Tower, IMO the most intense ride there, that sudden drop is killer.

I didnt mention backlot or any other flat rides besides Delirium, feel free to ride them in between. I personal feel like backlot is not worth the wait. Dont get me wrong its fun, just very short and not worthy of a half hour wait. If you get fast pass, by al means ride it to death. Hopefully this helps and if you take anything from it, dont ride a wheel seat on wooden coasters and stay out of the backseat on Vortex.

Enjoy your visit to Kings Island!!!

• Like 1

i think you should get a cheep bag and put a bottle or 2 of water fr your self, if rides give you bad headaches bring some medicine. I have never been stopped and the rides ops on diamond back seemed to not care about the weight since they come by and pick your stuff up now. But i suggest rides that are not fast nor anything keep your bag with you but most rides i suggest putting it in the boxes. I have never got anything stolen from the box.

If and when you ride Vortex, I recommend:

5-1 if you want the smoothest ride

7-1 if you want the most intensity and airtime (you get CRAZY ejector airtime on the first drop in that seat!)

and 1-1 if you want the best view of what's in front of you.

Those 3 rows are the best in those categories, but it doesn't hurt to try riding in different rows on the train. I sometimes finding myself riding in 2-1, 1-2, 6-1, 6-2, and 7-2 quite often, but it's your trip - you can ride in any row you choose! Hope you have lots of fun when you ride my favorite ride at Kings Island! :)

Edited by VortexBFForever
  • Like 1

As far as rides go, this is the order I think you should ride. Of couse this is only my opinion and by all means ride anything you want.

#1 Flight deck, its drop is good for first timers. Ride somewhere in the middle first then explore front and back if desired. Apply this to all coasters.

#3 The Racer, you gonna get a bigger drop and airtime than the first two. Be sure to ride in middle seat of any car for a smoother ride.

#4 Delirium, this ride is fun and gives you some good air time, yea I have you double back, but its worth it. Feel free to ride this after flight deck if your ready.

#5 Invertigo, another short coaster, but the feeling you get from going backwards and laying on the restraints is pretty intense. I would sit in a seat facing the lift hill that way you go backwards first, trust me its less rough that way and your not hanging there laying on the restraits going up the hill.

#6 Vortex, this one a little rough but intense and fun. Sit in 5th car 1st seat, its the seat to ride that doesnt beat you up too bad, or any front seat of a car, something about being in the back of the car that makes it more rough. 5-1 is the only place I sit now. The ride camera is towards the end you will go up and around to the left then as your approaching a loop its right there.

#7 The Beast, just like on The Racer sit in the middle off the car, something about a wheel seat that jars you to death. My second fav ride there! The ride camera is on the first rop right before you go in first tunnel.

#8 Diamondback, the best ride there. No matter where you sit on this ride is awesome. Very front great, it feels like your flying the whole time. Then the very back first hill drop is just amazing. This ride is very smooth and intense. The ride camera is right after a trim, you will top a hill then drop into a left bank and its right there in the curve. I beleive its after second hill after left banked turn.

#9 Flight of Fear, lay your head back, lay your head back. Try to sit in front of car is you need more leg room. The ride camera I beleive as your being launched out, I may be mistaken.

#10 Firehawk, this ride you lay down going up the lift hill then you flip on your stomach and you fly. I dont car much for this ride, doesnt feel safe to me. The ride camera is right after the first drop.

I didnt mention backlot or any other flat rides besides Delirium, feel free to ride them in between. I personal feel like backlot is not worth the wait. Dont get me wrong its fun, just very short and not worthy of a half hour wait. If you get fast pass, by al means ride it to death. Hopefully this helps and if you take anything from it, dont ride a wheel seat on wooden coasters and stay out of the backseat on Vortex.

Thank you so much! Very helpful and very kind of you to help me out with this. I was going to go all-in front of the Diamondback but maybe I should get used to drops first. :)) Drop Tower sounds really awesome. I will be sure to ride that lol.

If your looking for a thrill do Xtreme Skyflyer also! its a paid attraction but when the park 1st opens in the morning its usually $5 a rider and totally worth it! scary at first but if you have the cash take the risk, its awesome! (:

Okay, thanks! I plan on getting there early so I will give it a shot. Is the slingshot as good as the Xtreme Skyflyer? Both are paid attractions, I know.

i think you should get a cheep bag and put a bottle or 2 of water fr your self, if rides give you bad headaches bring some medicine. I have never been stopped and the rides ops on diamond back seemed to not care about the weight since they come by and pick your stuff up now. But i suggest rides that are not fast nor anything keep your bag with you but most rides i suggest putting it in the boxes. I have never got anything stolen from the box.

Good idea. I'll be sure to bring some water and pain killers. I'm not sure if I'll get a headache from my head being shaken around a lot but then again, pays to be prepared! :D

I want a trip report!

I will be sure to tell you what I did, how I felt, etc when I come back. :) I'm sure I'll have a blast. 8D

7-1 if you want the most intensity and airtime (you get CRAZY ejector airtime on the first drop in that seat!)

Those 3 rows are the best in those categories, but it doesn't hurt to try riding in different rows on the train. I sometimes finding myself riding in 2-1, 1-2, 6-1, 6-2, and 7-2 quite often, but it's your trip - you can ride in any row you choose! Hope you have lots of fun when you ride my favorite ride at Kings Island! :)

I really want to have some airtime on The Vortex, so I'll try to sit in seat 7-1 if I can grab it. x3 Otherwise, I'll try and sit in 5-1 or something. I'm not sure yet, lol. I love airtime though.

Oh, and I heard that if your seatbelt doesn't do another click you can get some crazy airtime on the Diamondback, is that true? :P

• Like 1

Thank you so much! Very helpful and very kind of you to help me out with this. I was going to go all-in front of the Diamondback but maybe I should get used to drops first. :)) Drop Tower sounds really awesome. I will be sure to ride that lol.

If your looking for a thrill do Xtreme Skyflyer also! its a paid attraction but when the park 1st opens in the morning its usually $5 a rider and totally worth it! scary at first but if you have the cash take the risk, its awesome! (:

Okay, thanks! I plan on getting there early so I will give it a shot. Is the slingshot as good as the Xtreme Skyflyer? Both are paid attractions, I know.

Good idea. I'll be sure to bring some water and pain killers. I'm not sure if I'll get a headache from my head being shaken around a lot but then again, pays to be prepared! :D

I want a trip report!

I will be sure to tell you what I did, how I felt, etc when I come back. :) I'm sure I'll have a blast. 8D

I really want to have some airtime on The Vortex, so I'll try to sit in seat 7-1 if I can grab it. x3 Otherwise, I'll try and sit in 5-1 or something. I'm not sure yet, lol. I love airtime though.

Oh, and I heard that if your seatbelt doesn't do another click you can get some crazy airtime on the Diamondback, is that true? :P

The airtime on Diamondback is literally the greatest feeling ever! Thats why it is %100 my favorite coaster! :)

I hope I don't get that last click, haha! Anyone know the best seats to ride on the Diamondback? The best airtime, perhaps? xD

pretty much everywhere on Diamondback is awesome but towards the front gets more airtime or at least it feels like it does to me? but the very back is also very nice. :)

I hope I don't get that last click, haha! Anyone know the best seats to ride on the Diamondback? The best airtime, perhaps? xD

pretty much everywhere on Diamondback is awesome but towards the front gets more airtime or at least it feels like it does to me? but the very back is also very nice. :)

Say what? The back is by far the best place for airtime. It's also really cool when you're at the top of the lift hill, because the back is catching up to the front as it's going down the hill.

Say what? The back is by far the best place for airtime. It's also really cool when you're at the top of the lift hill, because the back is catching up to the front as it's going down the hill.

Yeah your right but like I said everywhere on Diamondback will give you a good ride :)

• Like 1