Intamin or B&M

Rcoaster10

I've never actually ridden an Intamin, but the b and ms I've been on we're pretty good (Intimidator, Afterburn, Vortex) although Vortex isn't the most comfortable, but of course it has been around for about twenty years and it is a stand up coaster. Intimidator is very fun, it has nice airtime, and even styles your hair for you! Afterburn is very fun, it's action-packed, and goes upside down 6 times.

After all, b and m has invented the invert, floorless, dive, and wing coasters.

Intamin has invented the hyper (I think), giga, strata, and zacspin coasters.

Arrow Dynamics invented the Hypercoaster. A full 10 years before Intamin or B&M built their first ones. You haven't heard of Cedar Point's Magnum XL-200? Opened in 1989, 205 feet tall...no inversions...aka, Hypercoaster #1...

http://rcdb.com/11.htm

Intamin didn't make their first hypercoaster until 1999, when "Superman: Ride of Steel" (now just Ride of Steel as Six Flags no longer owns the park) opened...

http://rcdb.com/541.htm

And B&M also made their first hypercoaster in 1999, when they opened "Apollo's Chariot" at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

http://rcdb.com/531.htm

Dangit forgot about magnum

Some people want to be difficult. Its not a mistake that intamin took 8 out of 10 spots in the last mitch hawker poll.

Just because people have a different opinion than you, does not make them difficult! Love your Intamin's all you want, but let the poll speak for itself!

Now, when it comes to Intamin flats, those seem to be work horses!

• Like 3

B&M is likely to win this poll because this is a KI fan site and there's only one coaster at the park made by the companies in question (Diamondback). Diamondback happens to be world-class coaster which will further skew the vote.

Most of the Intamin vote will be because those folks have been to both KI and Cedar Point where I would argue that Intamin is the better choice. Millennium Force, Top Thrill and Maverick are all lots of fun.

For me it really comes down to three questions:

(1) Which company makes more thrilling rides? Intamin.

(2) If I'm traveling to a park, which company makes rides more likely to be operational? B&M.

(3) Which company makes the most enjoyable rides (including ride experience, restraints, train comfort, how the coaster tracks)? In my opinion, B&M. I only need to look at B&M hyper trains to see the difference in the two companies. Intamin trains are MUCH more difficult to get in and out of and haven't had a comfortable restraint put on any of their coasters since TTD in 2003. The fact that Intamin hasn't come up with a good restraint in years says that they don't have a good handle on some of their designs.

About Intamin's safety record...many of the incidents on Intamin rides have been blamed on operational (park or ride op) error as opposed to manufacturing defects. Even though Intamin wasn't directly at fault in many circumstances it still happened on their watch. My question is this though - why is it you simply don't hear about incidents on B&M rides? Do you hear about people slipping out of B&M restraints? Coasters going down for a month - or worse - two or three months before the season ends?

There have been only 2 new Intamin hypers built in the US/Canada in the last 12 years (I305 and Skyrush) and 7 B&M hypers. The biggest issues on the B&M coasters (chain lift breaks, concrete issues on Diamondback) all took a week or less to fix. Parks take notice of that kind of stuff, and that's why you're seeing more (big) B&M coasters now than Intamin.

• Like 1

Some people want to be difficult. Its not a mistake that intamin took 8 out of 10 spots in the last mitch hawker poll.

15 intanims scored in the top 50 steel coasters for the golden ticket awards 23 b&m's scored in the top 50 as well in the top 5 steel coasters for the golden ticket awards intanim scored first and second while b&m scored third and fourth.
  • Like 1

The Ford Explorer is the best selling SUV in the market, it doesn't mean it's the best.

Take a cue from newbie TrOy: intelligence without attempting to twist others' opinions.

• Like 5

In my day, it didn't matter who the manufacturer was, whether it was made of wood or steel, went 500 feet up or stayed low to the ground. We just wanted to have a day of fun and share some laughs with family and friends. Because that's the way it was, and we liked it like that!

You forgot to mention it wasn't a day you had to walk 14 miles to school up hill both ways...because that's the way it was for me. Oh it also snowed everyday from September through June.

Dear God, not the fanny packs

Unfashionable since...forever

They go hand in hand with Crocs... :lol:

Excuse me? You will not mock my fanny pack nor my Crocs. Fanny packs are totally acceptable at amusement parks, and Crocs are extremely comfortable. I am offended that you would diss my choice of fashion.

(just kidding) :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I simply cannot pick a side in this debate. They both are great, and both have their cons. Intamin comes first and creates an amazing design, but then B&M come along and "tweaks" it to make it even better. As a result, Intamin gets the credit first, but lots of downtime. B&M gets there second, just without the downtime. Unfortunately, preventing downtime as B&M does creates, in some cases, a bit of a less thrilling ride. If Intamin were to prevent downtime and be first, their rides would be the same as B&M's. Lastly, if you decide one is better than the other, so be it. But if you like one better than the other and decide to bash the other, I find you to be a pathetic fool.

*There hasn't been any bashing in this thread, but in others.