Intamin or B&M

Rcoaster10

That's a lot of advantages though! I agree with most of these except this one:

4. Great first drop that I will say hasn't been exactly replicated anywhere else, it's fantastic

El Toro, Skyrush, and Leviathan all have much better first drops IMO. I'd argue that Maverick has a more 'fun' drop than MF despite it's shorter length and duration. The other major thing that I would add to your list is how many people come back smiling and cheering after a ride on MF. I've yet to run across another ride anywhere that generates as much positive reaction after each circuit than that coaster.

• Like 1

Biggest reason I say that MF's first drop beats Levi, etc. is in conjunction with the view. I never look forward. Either look and watch straight out towards the island or towards the left if I get bay seat watching the coast/water. It makes the drop ALOT more intense. If you've never tried it, do it once, especially in the rear section of the train for this one. Front is good looking straight ahead mainly, but the rear does yank you giving you a jolt.

• Like 4

Millie's first drop actually, among other things, is one of the most underwhelming parts of the ride IMO. Even when I ride in the very back, I still never seem to experience very much accelerational forces (the "pulley" feeling) as compared to other backseat rides like Diamondback, Magnum, etc...

I guess it has to do with the fact that since the train is already traveling so fast via the cable lift, it does not accelerate as much going down the first drop as it does on traditional chain lift coasters.

I think one of the reasons for that is that you have to understand that the panelists who vote in GTA's rankings told to rate their coasters based on overall experience (which greatly includes reliability) rather than just the riding experience alone.

So reliabity is why Millennium Force continues to win the Golden Ticket Awards?

I learn the darnest things here.

No. When did I say that? All I was saying was that reliability MAY be, among other things, ONE of the reasons that there are more B&Ms than INTAMINS in the top 50.

That doesn't mean that I am unaware that the GTA's are primarily based on advertising and Cedar Point fanboy-ism, which is why Millie is always #1.

• Like 4

There's only a few advantages Millie has over the others

4. Great first drop that I will say hasn't been exactly replicated anywhere else, it's fantastic

5. Speed throughout

Do I agree with it's #1 rating, hell no. Maverick easily tops it as a coaster IMO

Leviathan is the coaster that Millennium Force wishes it could be.

Also, people on other forums commented about how B&M only has 92 tracks and Intamin has quite a bit more.

In 1907 Henry Ford said, "We don't want to make the most cars, we want to make the best cars."

I believe B&M has the best "cars" in this case. Reliability is just as important to B&M as it was to Henry Ford.

B&M may not have more tracks out there, but there is one thing for sure. That B&M will out perform an Intamin.

• Like 3

Millie was the first for so many things. IF CP were to make another giga, it would be better no doubt. The technology from 1999 to now is a big difference. B&M even had a learning curve with Levi. we will see what happens with future incarnations if we ever see a new giga from B&M..

But Millie is Millie, and Levi is Levi, both have pros, both have cons. That is that

I ride Millie for beautiful lakeview, fast lift climb that builds alot of excitement, a fun first drop, and keeping that speed going up and over every hill.

I ride Levi because it's a one of a kind, love the tunnel at the bottom, and enjoy the overbanked turn, def. snaps better than Millie.

Millie sucks because I prefer airtime hills, unfortunately so many factors go into getting a pop of airtime on Millie, and it doesn't have a great capacity.

Levi sucks because CW gets packed as hell, it has a huge ass brake run that rivals that of TTD without the speed, and honestly after you pass the trees & front gate plaza, it really isn't too exciting

Again pros and cons to both, and totally based on our own opinions.

But both are rides that I will ride, thrills connect yo

• Like 5

Hmm...well, this got me thinking and doing a quick RCDB search- how many B&M's and Intamin's are there still working in North America? Which are we more likely to run into should we visit any random park? And, for kicks, how do various other companies compare? So I searched...these were the results:

B&M: 56 operating, 1 under construction, 1 SBNO= 58 total existing coasters, 0 wooden coasters

Intamin: 34 operating, 1 in storage= 35 total existing coasters (includes 2 wooden coasters)

So you are actually, in North America, more likely to find a B&M than an Intamin. But hey...what about the other major coaster builders? Let's take a look at some of the more noteworthy ones (aka ones I bothered to look up)...these numbers include both steel and wood coasters, but their builders are mostly known for steel rides...

Arrow Dynamics: 52 operating, 1 in storage, 1 SBNO= 54 total

Vekoma: 72 operating, 6 SBNO= 78 total

Schwarzkopf: 22 operating, 1 in storage= 23 total

Chance Rides: 6 operating, 1 under construction, 1 SBNO= 8 total

Premier Rides: 16 operating, 1 in storage, 2 SBNO= 19 total

Zamperla: 50 operating, 4 under construction, 2 SBNO= 56 total

TOGO: 3 operating= 3 total

Giovanola: 7 operating, 1 in storage= 8 total

S&S Worldwide: 5 operating, 1 under construction= 6 total

Mack Rides: 21 operating, 1 in storage= 22 total

Maurer Söhne: 12 operating= 12 total

Gerstlauer: 14 operating, 2 under construction= 16 total

Morgan: 8 operating= 8 total

Well, that does it for most of the big steel coaster builders...what about the "woodie" guys though?

WOODIES (also includes some steel coasters as I kinda did the opposite for the mostly steel guys...)
PTC: 25 operating, 1 under construction, 1 SBNO= 27 total

Dinn Corporation: 6 operating, 1 SBNO= 7 total

CCI: 24 operating, 3 SBNO= 27 total

Gravity Group: 6 operating, 1 under construction= 7 total

GCII: 13 operating, 1 SBNO= 14 total

RMC: 3 operating, 2 under construction= 5 total

And well, that's that...wow, some suprising numbers, especially Vekoma being the most likely one you'll run into at any given park...also, Freestyle Music Park and Kentucky Kingdom were responsible for a lot of the SBNO rides.

• Like 3

Levi sucks because CW gets packed as hell, it has a huge ass brake run that rivals that of TTD without the speed, and honestly after you pass the trees & front gate plaza, it really isn't too exciting

I timed the line at Leviathan. It is only about 40 minutes with a full queue.

I get what you are saying about the brake run. There could be more after the block, but it works for CW. I mean 45 second or less dispatches. I was very impressed with CW operations.

Out of 149 steel roller coasters that I have ridden, only 41 of those were B&M. So having ridden 108 steel coasters that are NOT B&M, I think it is safe to say that I have ridden quite a few more Intamin installations than B&M.

So, based on my experience, I will pick a B&M with it's reliability over an Intamin's inovation any day.

On a different note, Fire Chaser Express will be my 150th steel coaster!

• Like 3

I timed the line at Leviathan. It is only about 40 minutes with a full queue.

I get what you are saying about the brake run. There could be more after the block, but it works for CW. I mean 45 second or less dispatches. I was very impressed with CW operations.

Out of 149 steel roller coasters that I have ridden, only 41 of those were B&M. So having ridden 108 steel coasters that are NOT B&M, I think it is safe to say that I have ridden quite a few more Intamin installations than B&M.

So, based on my experience, I will pick a B&M with it's reliability over an Intamin's inovation any day.

On a different note, Fire Chaser Express will be my 150th steel coaster!

Umm...so you have been to Europe & Asia? Because if it's just North America, there are less than 41 operating Intamin coasters according to RCDB...so even if you rode every single Intamin ride currently in North America, and 41 B&M's, you have still ridden more B&M's than Intamins...plus you have Arrow's, Vekoma's, etc etc. who also have tons of installs around North America...

Just asking, because my quick rcdb search seems to suggest at least in North America, there are more B&M's around now than Intamin's... (granted I may have forgotten now-defunct coasters, which may push the scale in Intamin's favor, but I dunno...)

• Like 2