Cedar Point will be announcing a new attraction for 2014 as well

According to engineers who designed the Arrow loopers the shelf life is anywhere from 25-40 years. Also Arrow has been out of commission for quite sometime now which means maintaining and replacing parts will start to take a toll soon. Some parks across the country have been removing the Arrow loopers, Six Flags parks mostly. It is only a matter of time before CF begins the chopping block. Also with this new ride opening up next year, I have a feeling they want to replace the old with the new since we all know this thing has inversions.

Arrow Parts are still available through several vendors dedicated to picking up the market, as well as Arrow's current parent company that bought them out, S&S Sansei. The only reason for removing rides is lack of ridership with increasing maint. costs. The rides are actually alot lower maint. than some rides I know of from other manufacturers. Arrow loopers will stay until you see ridership take a nosedive, which honestly hasn't happened at KI or at CP for that matter

• Like 7

Several reasons to keep older rides around:

All rides, old or new have maitenance issues that have to be dealt with. You'd expect older ones to have more issues, though not always, however the biggest cost is the initial cost to build the roller coaster. As long as the ride remains popular, there is no reason to tear it down. No park could withstand the capital cost expenditures if they were to tear down a Magnum XL once a Diamondback style coster was available (assuming the Magnum XL coaster is still functional and popular, and in this case it is)

Having older rides around, help disperse the crowd around a park. How many times have you gone to Diamondback, seen that the line was 45 min+ and decided to head over to The Racer w/ a 5-10 minute line? I know I've done so in the past. Park guests often like diversity, if you're going to spend $25-$30 mil every 5 years on a major attraction, it doesn't do you much good to have the same number of major attractions.

Finally, there is a certain amount of nostalgia gained from riding a ride you grew up on with your kids. I remember whizzing thru the tunnel on The Beastie and thinking how tall that ride was when I was a kid. Now I get to experience the same thing thru my son's eyes (minus the tunnel) all these years later. I remember thinking how scary Vortex seemed, it took me 2-3 seasons before I'd hope on it at the age of 12 or so. I'm amazed that my 6 year old niece a few years back shrugged off the inversions the first time she hit 48" and was ready for a spin, I'm amazed that my now 5 year old wants to get on it. Those experiences keep me coming back to the park all these years later. I went a bunch as a kid and teenager, not so much in my 20s, and go a bunch now that I'm in my 30s w/ 2 small children.

Older rides have value, even if their record setting days have past.

• Like 14

I don't get why people would want to see old bumpy rides when they could be replaced with amazing smooth rides. Yes, they have historical value, but does anyone honestly like Magnum more than Diamondback??

Yes. I probably like Magnum a little bit more than Diamondback even after working on DB. Magnum to me has given me probably some of the most memorable rides.

So back on Topic...what do people think this new attraction will be? If you think a Dark Ride, where do you think it'll be and themed to what?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I highly think it'll be a dark ride but if Cedar Point gets a dark ride then will Boo Blasters on Boo Hill at the Paramount Parks all get upgraded as well. I wish KI would get Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle and the Phantom Theater since they were the best ever!

• Like 1

I highly think it'll be a dark ride but if Cedar Point gets a dark ride then will Boo Blasters on Boo Hill at the Paramount Parks all get upgraded as well. I wish KI would get Scooby Doo and the Haunted Castle and the Phantom Theater since they were the best ever!

I have to agree, Boo Blasters can not compare to the time and effort and the factor of enjoyment put into Phantom Theater. Plus it just seems KI has put no interest in maintenance on our dark ride. More than half the guns dont work, half the targets are never working, more than half the effects no longer work, oh and remember the fog wall? Yeah, neither do I.

• Like 7

I personally do like older rides more than the latter new. Sure I like the ride on many new attractions, but nothing beats a ride on The Beast, or even a pre 2000 attraction like Outer Limits. Over time even our new coasters will break down and get wear n' tear like our classics. Then we shall see the next gen of our enthusiasts.

• Like 1

Magnum beats DB in practically everytime...dunno what rcoaster10 is talking about

I've ridden Magnum and DB many times, and IMO, DB is so much better than Magnum. The "airtime" alone that DB delivers compared to Magnum is sufficient enough to be the superior of the two.

Another reason older rides remain popular is that they offer an experience you don't find on newer rides for various reasons. There's a reason that Beast remains the longest wooden coaster after nearly 35 years, and nobody else has come close to breaking that record (Voyage, in 2nd place on the "longest wood coaster" list, is 6442 feet - 917 feet shorter than Beast).

• Like 3