Awards/Ribbons System

Has anyone thought about having a awards system for members of the site? You would get little ribbons, I would gladly make them, that members could earn for doing certain acts, being a member for so long, having so many posts. The options and ideas are really endless. This may have been brought up a while ago, even by myself even, but I wanted to see what the personal opinion is on this or if it has been discussed and if there are reasons for it not being put into effect? If so I would love to hear those thoughts and or reasons.

An example would be you could get a ribbon for being a member for 1 year, which you could either then put in your signature area or you could make an area below the avatar area for the ribbons

• Like 6

The usual term for this is "achievements". They're usually used either in games or to engage new users. On a discussion forum, an achievement might be to post an image, start a popular topic, or log in X days in a row.

Personally, I'd consider such a system to be noise.

• Like 6

Another forum I'm on has something like this, and I think it's dumb.

For one thing, many of the ribbons will have to do with post count, e.g., "make 100 posts". But how does that mean anything if those 100 posts are generally idiotic, trollish, or just show a total disregard for the terms of service? We shouldn't be rewarding that in any way. But the system would do so automatically.

Then you have awards based on account age, e.g. "you registered one year ago. But what if that user made their account, posted three times that day, and never came back? The system would still continue to award them ribbons, which is preposterous.

In short, I don't like it at all.

• Like 2

jcgoble3 has some good points, so if this would be done if would have to be carried out differently.

I could see something where members vote to determine the award/ribbon winner. There could be categories like post of the day, best thread, etc. Several members would be included in the poll, and it would be up to the KIC community to determine who deserves the award. That way trolls wouldn't get any votes, and someone truly derserving would be the one to be awarded.

• Like 2

BB1 for the waterpark enthusiast of the year!

(BB1, that one member who would finish in first, and last) I would say that the system could be flawed in the future, but under certain circumstances, it could be a great system for certain feats, but at no time should it be used as an incentive to post here. Post what you feel is right, not for a social status!

• Like 1

How about shirts (or iron on patches) that display "veteran" status of some of the famous threads…"Rumor Coaster 2009", "What's next for Son of Beast", or "Starting to Decode 2014". Maybe they could be like cub scout pins that could be handed out during KIC events... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Has anyone thought about having a awards system for members of the site? You would get little ribbons, I would gladly make them, that members could earn for doing certain acts, being a member for so long, having so many posts. The options and ideas are really endless. This may have been brought up a while ago, even by myself even, but I wanted to see what the personal opinion is on this or if it has been discussed and if there are reasons for it not being put into effect? If so I would love to hear those thoughts and or reasons.

An example would be you could get a ribbon for being a member for 1 year, which you could either then put in your signature area or you could make an area below the avatar area for the ribbons

I don't know how I feel about this. There seems to be enough heiarchy here as is. Ribbons might lead to a pulling rank attitude?

• Like 1

The milestone one I would think is probably the limit of this idea. Will it ever be put into effect? Doubtful, but its always good to bring up a discussion about things to add to the site. I appreciate everyones input in this matter. ;)

Incentives for members could be FUN.

But I have noticed that if people post simply for the sake of racking up posts, post quality seems to go by the wayside.

A good member of the community is not shown by his/her number of posts, but instead, by the quality of his/her posts.

But yes, I also think that it is great to brainstorm ideas on how to make the KIC Community that we all love better :)

• Like 2

How about shirts (or iron on patches) that display "veteran" status of some of the famous threads…"Rumor Coaster 2009", "What's next for Son of Beast", or "Starting to Decode 2014". Maybe they could be like cub scout pins that could be handed out during KIC events... :rolleyes:

Random Photo of the Day?? :P:P Haha just kidding.

I actually really do like the idea of best post of the day or something small like that but nothing more.

• Like 1