Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

Does Raptor have sand in the tracks or not? I'm assuming no bc you can hear it throughout the whole park, but am wondering bc I am curious if Banshee will sound similar to Raptor.

I remember hearing/reading something from Don where he said Banshee would NOT be sand filled.
  • Like 3

Yes, filling the rails with sand prevents the sound from echoing withink the hollow box support making the distinctive roar you hear as the train moves through the course. Without sand in the rails=loud, sand in the rails=no sound like Gatekeeper over the front gate

So Diamondback has sand, and Banshee might not and sound like raptor?

I've never heard of parks filling the track pieces with sand... Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought sand was only added to supports, if that.

Somewhere, I can't find them now, there are pictures of them filling Maverick's supports with sand during construction.

I could be wrong but I thought I heard someone say that Diamondback's track was filled with sand to quiet it but I could be wrong.

As long as it's not as loud as mantis I don't care

Yeah Mantis is very loud. I came to realize that that was the sound I heard throughout the park Saturday and not so much Raptor. Raptor is very audible on and near the midway though.

I like how loud Mantis is, to me thats just a really nice sound..Plus from an operational standpoint when you learn everything about the ride layout, it easily can tell you where it is haha.

B&M fills the tubular rails and the box section of the track, as for supports for what I understand are hollow and sealed prior to delivery.

DB has nothing to do with sound, it's the wheels that they have used on the ride that have made the ride quieter than what it truly could be

• Like 2

The park does have neighbors...

That's why I often feel the way I do about many people. The park was there before a lot of those houses were even built. So I think I am going to have a new house built and there is some nice property right buy this amusement park. After I move in I am going to complain about all the noise the comes from the park. I just love people like that. I know it happens all the time though.

I've never heard of parks filling the track pieces with sand... Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought sand was only added to supports, if that.

The roar from B&M coasters is mostly sound resonating through the support.

I asked this specific question in the Montu behind-the-scenes tour and the gentleman working the tour (the head of maintenance) said that the sound comes almost solely from the support. When we walked up the steps just shy of the MCBR platform we were standing right next to a support and you could hear the roar buzzing directly from the support. You can see the steps we were on if you click the link below:

http://rcdb.com/87.htm?p=28083

Stand right next to that big first drop support next to the walkway on Diamondback and you'll hear the roar. There's a reason you can still hear Diamondback from outside the park when it's running down the bottom of those first few big drops. It takes a lot of force and a really large amplifier to be able to produce that kind of sound, and the supports are the only mechanism capable of transmitting that kind of sound.

• Like 2

^^People will be people...

I see this way too much everyday

and yup, sound starts at the track, support is basically a giant speaker. Eliminate the sound at the source and slap some wheels on, nice and quiet. It blows me away how Gatekeeper has practically no noise at all if you have ever been by with no music on, no crowds, ect..Only noise is the occasional wheel running over the track sections and the rollbacks moving around

^^People will be people...

I see this way too much everyday

and yup, sound starts at the track, support is basically a giant speaker. Eliminate the sound at the source and slap some wheels on, nice and quiet. It blows me away how Gatekeeper has practically no noise at all if you have ever been by with no music on, no crowds, ect..Only noise is the occasional wheel running over the track sections and the rollbacks moving around

It is quiet when you're not right by it or on it. If you're at the front gate when it goes over head it's audible. Not very audible though. Raptor is way more audible :)