Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

I like how they've already started landscaping around supports. The mature bushes will make it presumably harder for maintenance but it will look much cooler by the time opening day rolls around.

Boy you're observant!!! I took the photos and looked at them and didn't even notice the bushes til you said something! :lol:

• Like 5

I like how they've already started landscaping around supports. The mature bushes will make it presumably harder for maintenance but it will look much cooler by the time opening day rolls around.

Boy you're observant!!! I took the photos and looked at them and didn't even notice the bushes til you said something! :lol:

Me either, I think that's really strange!

• Like 2

Looking at the pictures again, I see a gap between the support and the footer. What's the purpose of the gap? I don't think I've ever seen the likes on Diamondback or any other coasters.

I don't know what it is for, but it isn't the first time we've seen it.

http://KICentral.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=291&pid=7184#top_display_media

db10200802.JPG

• Like 6

I'd assume that is has something to do with something greg or don tweeted a while back where they said that the supports had to be grouted. I'm guessing they will shoot grout in between the support and footer to fill the footer hole. This will further help bond the two together.

• Like 2

Finally...a question I know the answer to! I've been lurking for a long time, so I guess it's time to contribute... :)

The gap between the support and the foundation will be filled with a high strength, low shrink cement...kind of like a grout. Remember the pics of the foundations with the oblong cavity? The bottom of the support has a piece of steel welded to it that will stick down into that cavity. The grout is pumped into the cavity and formed up all the way to the base of the support, locking the steel on the bottom of the support firmly in place, and forming a platform for the support to sit on. It serves to transfer the loads from the coaster to the foundations through the strength of the steel and support weldment rather than asking the anchor bolts to do the job of resisting these forces. Take a look at the foundation piles on any finished steel coaster, and you'll see that there isn't a gap there, there's a little step that rises up out of the main foundation to meet the support...this is the grout.

I suspect a convenient side effect (for lack of a better term) is that the steel workers also are able to adjust the height and level of the supports slightly to help fit up of the structure...there are a lot of tolerances building up on a job like this!

• Like 17

Looking at the pictures again, I see a gap between the support and the footer. What's the purpose of the gap? I don't think I've ever seen the likes on Diamondback or any other coasters.

I don't know what it is for, but it isn't the first time we've seen it.

http://KICentral.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=291&pid=7184#top_display_media

db10200802.JPG

You can also see that the steel "flange" is sandwiched between washers and nuts.

If something doesn't fit right, they can adjust these nuts to accommodate and fit.

• Like 3

Take a look at the foundation piles on any finished steel coaster, and you'll see that there isn't a gap there, there's a little step that rises up out of the main foundation to meet the support...this is the grout.

This "step" can be seen in this picture of Mantis.

http://www.joyrides.com/cedar_point/mantis8.htm

mantis8.jpg

This was a good discussion. I learned a lot.

• Like 8

web cams down, conspiracy?? ha ha

ok, back up again. So looks like clifford is going to start helping out again as he is facing the the dive loop and the vertical loop.

Question: so why store some of the track pieces sooo far away? Even if they are for later parts, they will have to haul from there to other work area. Why not just drop off in the valley area?