Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

Guest KingsIslandPR

Hi, new here. I've been a lurker for quite some time but Banshee was that final push I needed to motivate myself to register. I'm Jarrett, I live an hour away from Kings Island (though haven't managed to get down much since I'm a new driver and can't drive that far just yet), and I've been virtually stalking that webcam. I feel like Banshee's definitely going to completely redefine crowd distribution at Kings Island. I feel like while both The Beast and Diamondback are amazing rides, they aren't very repeatable. Your first ride on Diamondback is great, but throughout the day you start enjoying it a bit less. The Beast can get better as the track warms up throughout the day (especially after a rainstorm when the forest is misty and humid) and it's my favorite wooden coaster, but like Diamondback, it gets stale pretty quickly. I feel like Banshee's going to not only be as awesome the tenth time you ride it that day as the first, but it'll be the best ride at the park. Action Zone's been slowly declining in attendance since Son of Beast's demise, and I think it'll be as crowded as it once was with Banshee's opening.

About Gatekeeper, the thing that I don't like about it is the fact that you have to buy a locker for your bag. It's bad enough you do it with Dragster and Millennium, but I understand, sort of, since both have double stations. Gatekeeper doesn't and Wild Eagle has cubbies, why can't Gatekeeper? If loose articles are that much of a problem, they should provide them.

Also, this'll be my first media day/opening day (whenever I decide to ride it), how do you get into a media day? Can this site do it or do you need to be part of something like ACE or TPR? Sorry for the question if people don't normally do things like that here.

I feel like that dive loop will be pretty intense, though, looking at support placement. That's going to look extremely menacing towering over the midway!

Members from a select number of roller coasters clubs and organizations will be able to RSVP to attend Banshee Media Day. Those clubs and organizations will be announced at a later date.

• Like 17

Will Banshee get the little rattle Gatekeeper and Diamondback have in the back? Probably not at first early in the season, but this ride is going to be running a marathon each and everyday. Will Maintenance try and keep on top of that?

It has been said that the wheels where away, will Banshee have the same wheels.

A fan with a lot of Questions...

they've got two pieces (so far) of track installed at the bottom (end?) of the dive loop

I don't think those are attached to the supports just yet, they've only attached two pieces together.

Edit: Maybe they are attached now that I look at it more; it's hard to tell. Regardless, they've added a third piece of track to the other two.

I feel like while both The Beast and Diamondback are amazing rides, they aren't very repeatable. Your first ride on Diamondback is great, but throughout the day you start enjoying it a bit less.

Also, this'll be my first media day/opening day (whenever I decide to ride it), how do you get into a media day? Can this site do it or do you need to be part of something like ACE or TPR? Sorry for the question if people don't normally do things like that here.

I completely 100% disagree with you.

My personal best on Diamondback was 45 times in one day.

Beast and Diamondback both get better as the day progresses.

Most B&M's (I have ridden 41 B&M's total) that I have ridden tend to "warm up", and give much better rides later in the day.

Beast as a wooden coaster is no exception to this "warming up" theory. You can have a really slow and sluggish ride in the morning, but at about 5 pm it will be really hauling. To judge the speed of The Beast, sit in row 4 (ejector seat as I call it) as the train makes it's way onto the second lift, the first car should reach the first landing of the stairs on the side before the chain takes over. Sometimes the second car reaches the landing. You know you are flying when the train climbs that high under it's own momentum.

It has been stated that if you are PAID member of a coaster club such as ACE, ClubTPR, etc, that they will be invited to media day, as well as people who are invited (via Scream Like a Banshee winners, news stations, etc.) KICentral is not a paid coaster club. Also, one should note that there is a camera mounted on the train, so dispatches can be slow. To get the most rides, I suggest riding where you can and not wait for the front. (I got 30 rides on Gatekeeper for Media Day) If they work it like Gatekeeper, there will be an online RSVP where you sign up, then you must show you membership card at the gate to get in. Your Platinum, Gold, or Regular season pass will NOT get you into Banshee Media Day.

There was an instance at Gatekeeper Media Day where management announced that promo photos would be taken and for everyone to HOLD ON to the restraints at all times. Otherwise they would not be able to use the photos. As soon as that train rolled at the top of the lift, you could see a person in the front of the train with his hands up. Moral of story: If they say to HANG ON, don't be the 1 idiot who can not follow directions, and ruin it.

• Like 10

Hi, new here. I've been a lurker for quite some time but Banshee was that final push I needed to motivate myself to register. I'm Jarrett, I live an hour away from Kings Island (though haven't managed to get down much since I'm a new driver and can't drive that far just yet), and I've been virtually stalking that webcam. I feel like Banshee's definitely going to completely redefine crowd distribution at Kings Island. I feel like while both The Beast and Diamondback are amazing rides, they aren't very repeatable. Your first ride on Diamondback is great, but throughout the day you start enjoying it a bit less. The Beast can get better as the track warms up throughout the day (especially after a rainstorm when the forest is misty and humid) and it's my favorite wooden coaster, but like Diamondback, it gets stale pretty quickly. I feel like Banshee's going to not only be as awesome the tenth time you ride it that day as the first, but it'll be the best ride at the park. Action Zone's been slowly declining in attendance since Son of Beast's demise, and I think it'll be as crowded as it once was with Banshee's opening.

About Gatekeeper, the thing that I don't like about it is the fact that you have to buy a locker for your bag. It's bad enough you do it with Dragster and Millennium, but I understand, sort of, since both have double stations. Gatekeeper doesn't and Wild Eagle has cubbies, why can't Gatekeeper? If loose articles are that much of a problem, they should provide them.

I feel like that dive loop will be pretty intense, though, looking at support placement. That's going to look extremely menacing towering over the midway!

Members from a select number of roller coasters clubs and organizations will be able to RSVP to attend Banshee Media Day. Those clubs and organizations will be announced at a later date.

What Don said!

:D

I didn't get to page 71 yet... LOL

^Good point...hadn't thought of the forward motion (duh). I wonder how fast you'll be traveling at that point (at the top of the dive loop)...maybe they could cut the midway back a bit taking all these factors into consideration?

As for folks throwing things: put the ride photo cameras there. Should discourage such behavior I would think...and it would be a decent place for it anyway IMO.

I certainly hope there's no net put up. I think it would be a bit ugly there.

i.e. Alpengiest's Immelmann

Alpengiest and Griffon, much like Diamondback, have nets attached to the track where it comes close to paths.

• Like 2

375698_3487620631389_883149316_n.jpg

425494_3487620911396_1312142306_n.jpg

Here is Montu's net beneath the immelman.

Those blend in really well with theming. Hard to even tell that they are there. Doubt Kings Island would be able to do that.

532566_3487621351407_1363677385_n.jpg

But they don't blend in with the sky!... LOL

These were taking on my July 2012 Florida B&M trip. I believe Beast Man was with me on this trip.

I do believe Banshee will have something similar. The net's don't really bother me, just annoying when trying to get photos like this.

I do hope that they take out the advertisement sign that is right there at Banshee's dive loop. That will make for an amazing photo op.

• Like 7

There was FL for GK

Honestly I wouldn't be too concerned. Opening day I did everything else sans Fast Lane opening day (started @ resort gate) Had the whole park knocked out in about 3 hours, then waited 3 for GK it was full queues, then had lunch, took a nap. Came back after a bit and hit some of my favorites then by about 7-8 when the rain hit I left early..

Hit everything else, everyone will be going for Banshee, get your other missed rides in opening day as very few will head to those. Then unfortunately there will be a wait but you've done everything else with no wait.

Will Banshee get the little rattle Gatekeeper and Diamondback have in the back? Probably not at first early in the season, but this ride is going to be running a marathon each and everyday. Will Maintenance try and keep on top of that?

B&M inverts and dive coasters tend to be the smoothest B&M coaster types. The only B&M invert I've ridden that has a discernable vibration during certain parts of the ride is Alpengeist. Both the older inverts (the Batmen) and the newer inverts (Patriot) are still very smooth so I don't believe it'll be an issue with Banshee.

I honestly will say this with GK with why it probably has a rattle, just my opinion.

I think wheels need replaced but being this far in the season, unless the wheel fails typical wear and tear isn't going to warrant an expensive replacement of the trains wheels. Also with the way you sit on them being out on the bar I think any small vibration on the ride is just being amplified.

Hopefully when all of you ride next year it will be gone. I remember opening day, it was so butter smooth I thought millie lost it's place as smoothest coaster @ CP.

Best thing on that ride though that I love other than from a ride standpoint has to be that break run. So perfectly timed and trimmed. No jolts, no hard hits, helps train timing, and just works perfectly in sync with this years amazing crew.

• Like 1

Best thing on that ride though that I love other than from a ride standpoint has to be that break run. So perfectly timed and trimmed. No jolts, no hard hits, helps train timing, and just works perfectly in sync with this years amazing crew.

I'm sure that there were times that the crew was hitting 1600 - 1700 pph, nearly double Maverick's capacity. Most people think that Gatekeeper wasn't as popular as the big Intamin coasters because the lines at the end of the day were much shorter at Gatekeeper, when the reality is that Gatekeeper just pumped through a ton more people than the Intamins did which allowed lines to shrink during the day. Wasn't there some talk about Gatekeeper reaching 2 million riders this season if it hasn't done so already?

• Like 2

^^Copying this from my memorial day TR

"I did however track some information and get some for all of you coaster nerds like me. Full interval information :-)!!! Station wait minimum from stop in station to dispatch was 55sec, max was 1:34. Jog time from ready brakes from a stack was 15 seconds if interval was not hit properly. Full time for train dispatch to station stop per train varies from 2:23 to 2:55. Also my friend on the ride said their best dor pph hour was 1,569. Theoretical is 1710...that's moving people!"

Also yes it's over 2M

Also yes, that vibration gets worse as the season progresses. I hope by next season it's eliminated again, this season wasn't bad really at all.

• Like 2