Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

Well I agree B&M is smooth but my son and his girlfriend and my daughter rode Diamondback about a month ago and all complained about how rough it was. Very odd for B&M. Anyone else experienced it lately on that ride?

no. we rode it saturday and it was still very smooth imo. my brother rode it for the first time and the first thing he said he loved about it was how "smooth" it was.

IMO Diamondback is a little rough in even number rows bc you're on the wheels but then again I'm small and find a lot of coasters rough lol the only coaster I have been on that I can say I didn't find rough was Raptor.... But not sure I rode anything other than front row when I was up there lol I prefer front row on rides not only for the view but they are typically smoother :) but I'm willing to give any row a chance until I discover it's too rough. For example, I will NEVER ride right side row 3 on Gatekeeper EVER again nor would I recommend anyone ride in that location bc I found it VERY painful. I have heard row 4 left side is worse though lol

Well I agree B&M is smooth but my son and his girlfriend and my daughter rode Diamondback about a month ago and all complained about how rough it was. Very odd for B&M. Anyone else experienced it lately on that ride?

no. we rode it saturday and it was still very smooth imo. my brother rode it for the first time and the first thing he said he loved about it was how "smooth" it was.

Well then you must have ridden in a good seat... green train I suppose?

I admit, Diamondback still is considerably smooth in most of it's seats, but in others it is getting pretty bad (especially close to the back). From my experience, green train is the smoothest, red is okay, and brown is the worst. The very back right side on brown train is almost unbearable IMO.

• Like 3

I think wheels need replaced but being this far in the season, unless the wheel fails typical wear and tear isn't going to warrant an expensive replacement of the trains wheels. Also with the way you sit on them being out on the bar I think any small vibration on the ride is just being amplified.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly happens when a wheel fails? Is it simply that the outer lamination (urethane?) comes off, or is it a deeper mechanical issue like a bearing or shaft? I guess a better question is: what is the typical failure mode for a coaster wheel? Are there warning signs of imminent failure?

Could a wheel failure cause a train to valley (due to friction/drag)? I would think that if there was even a remote chance of this, those in charge would see to it that any problems are addressed immediately, but I don't know...

Any experience that someone has with these things is that much more than I...I'm just fascinated by the machinery involved!

Jason-who is ignorant but curious.

• Like 3

viewing the webcam for the first time ever today, and maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look like a whole lot has been done today. Without the ability to zoom in, I really can't tell what's been done if anything lol. I am still hoping they finish the dive loop today...

1zbcpoo.jpg

I honestly will say this with GK with why it probably has a rattle, just my opinion.

I think wheels need replaced but being this far in the season, unless the wheel fails typical wear and tear isn't going to warrant an expensive replacement of the trains wheels. Also with the way you sit on them being out on the bar I think any small vibration on the ride is just being amplified.

Gatekeeper was smooth as glass at the beginning of the season (Media Day). Then on opening weekend of Halloweekends when I rode it, I noticed that It developed a "bump" worse than Diamondback's rattle in the back. Diamondback is more of a vibration, but Gatekeeper actually BOUNCES.

Of the 41 B&M's I have ridden, the Cedar Point trio are the worst.

• Like 2

I honestly will say this with GK with why it probably has a rattle, just my opinion.

Gatekeeper was smooth as glass at the beginning of the season (Media Day). Then on opening weekend of Halloweekends when I rode it, I noticed that It developed a "bump" worse than Diamondback's rattle in the back. Diamondback is more of a vibration, but Gatekeeper actually BOUNCES.

Of the 41 B&M's I have ridden, the Cedar Point trio are the worst.

I rode it for the first time ever the same weekend you mentioned and I wasn't a fan at all. Mostly because of the restraints painfully pinning me in but I agree Gatekeeper definitely bounces. That ride hurt me. I was sore for days :(

• Like 2

Kat, they've put up the track coming out of the "lift hill loop".

You'll also noticed that they have started staging a set of supports by the start of the lift hill. Based upon location, the only spot those supports can go are to finish out the vertical loop around the lift hill. Someone made a pretty good point that the supports for that area are going to need to be tied into the track prety quickly based upon the angle they tie into the ground. If they are staging those, my guess is the sequence of operations is to get thru the bottom part of the vertical loop. perhaps they top off the loop this week, perhaps next week. We may not see the dive loop finished off until next week after operations commence.

I should add, I've been wrong on my aspects of the sequence of operations so far, so take those as mearly guesses based upon what I'm seeing progress. That part of it has been the most interesting aspect of this for me so far.

• Like 3

When we got wheels replaced it was moreover a crack/split in the poly wheel. It was usually caused by just repetitive wear on the rides by constantly running all season. I had one train that did have a bearing issue opening week but was fixed after we heard it, well for lack of better words, screaming down the drop. For what some maint. guys told me they can tell how worn it is by looking at the wear pattern and the texture of the poly but I never had to go that deep into wheel replacements.

When we had a bad wheel, biggest thing was it's a rough as hell ride around that section. It also can produce some pretty nasty sounds, dragster bad wheels at 120 you can hear the noise coming from the assembly when a maint guy pointed it out to me. You can't hear it w/ music on and midway stuff going on. We heard it during morning test cycles when the parks perfectly quiet. Other than that I don't believe one wheel would cause a valley, it probably could if enough failed at once but that's a huge catastrophic failure.

I'll talk to a few of my guys tonight see if I can get some more technical guru stuff, I just know the basics and what the parts are and some repairs...I'll see what I can dig up from em tonight/tomorrow

• Like 1

IMO Diamondback is a little rough in even number rows bc you're on the wheels but then again I'm small and find a lot of coasters rough lol the only coaster I have been on that I can say I didn't find rough was Raptor.... But not sure I rode anything other than front row when I was up there lol I prefer front row on rides not only for the view but they are typically smoother :) but I'm willing to give any row a chance until I discover it's too rough. For example, I will NEVER ride right side row 3 on Gatekeeper EVER again nor would I recommend anyone ride in that location bc I found it VERY painful. I have heard row 4 left side is worse though lol

I found Raptor to be among the rougher coasters I went on at Cedar Point this year.

• Like 1

viewing the webcam for the first time ever today, and maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look like a whole lot has been done today. Without the ability to zoom in, I really can't tell what's been done if anything lol. I am still hoping they finish the dive loop today...

More track is going up now :D Second or third piece of day

• Like 1

Guest KingsIslandPR

cool video Don. but just for clarification, i think it was just being moved from the staging area in the back :)

DavidW being nitpicky and watching the webcams closely

Just for clarification, the piece of track being delivered came from the plant in Batavia today.

• Like 18

Kat, they've put up the track coming out of the "lift hill loop".

You'll also noticed that they have started staging a set of supports by the start of the lift hill. Based upon location, the only spot those supports can go are to finish out the vertical loop around the lift hill. Someone made a pretty good point that the supports for that area are going to need to be tied into the track prety quickly based upon the angle they tie into the ground. If they are staging those, my guess is the sequence of operations is to get thru the bottom part of the vertical loop. perhaps they top off the loop this week, perhaps next week. We may not see the dive loop finished off until next week after operations commence.

I should add, I've been wrong on my aspects of the sequence of operations so far, so take those as mearly guesses based upon what I'm seeing progress. That part of it has been the most interesting aspect of this for me so far.

I can't see any of that!! lol thanks for the info!

I found Raptor to be among the rougher coasters I went on at Cedar Point this year.

where did you ride? It's sad I don't remember where I rode on my trip just a few weeks ago but I think I only rode in row one, maybe row two lol

well Kat, for whatever its worth, my guess about the next action has already proven incorrect, they added another piece of track, extending from the track they installed at the bottom of the dive loop, up into the element.

the element?

Hopefully when all of you ride next year it will be gone. I remember opening day, it was so butter smooth I thought millie lost it's place as smoothest coaster @ CP.

Best thing on that ride though that I love other than from a ride standpoint has to be that break run. So perfectly timed and trimmed. No jolts, no hard hits, helps train timing, and just works perfectly in sync with this years amazing crew.

Good deduction, the chairs out on a limb would generate more of a shake, like the 'see-through' pencil trick. I've had ride rattles, but I know all the gears and cogs are in the right place, so I'm alright about it. If the safety crew saw the slightest thing wrong beyond accepted wear and tear, that ride wouldn't be going, then we'd all be complaining that the ride was down for maintenance.

• Like 1

after studying the webcam vs the track layout image, I have come up with the theory that they won't finish the dive loop until after all the lift hill loop supports and quite possibly the lift hill loop track is in place. They have quite a few supports sitting near the dive loop, so I have theorized that by finishing the dive loop they would be more limited for space and turning room for their crane vs leaving it unfinished for the time being :)

I drove by the plant in Batavia today on the way to my mom's (I live about ten minutes from it) and I didn't really see anything but two weeks ago I saw a few footers and pieces of track. It's exciting to live so close to where all the magic starts. Next year will be my first trip to KI in eight years, even though I spent most of my summers up until 2007 there. It's only a half-hour drive for me I always planned on going back sooner but I haven't been in the best place financially or physically,and things just come up. You know how it is :) I can't wait to go back in April, though. I've been following all the news pretty closely and I must say Banshee already looks stunning from I-71.

• Like 4