Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

Yay!!!! That is so cool!!!!!!! Be sure to post it on the Activity Under the Flight deck thread too!

Don already posted the official announcement in Kings Island Discussion, so it's not necessary now lol

Top parts of anything are tough to put it. Not everything goes to plan. If they have previously tightened down the sides and the tolerances are tight, they could actually have to go back and loosen the sides for the "wiggle room" to get everything to fit just right.

My dad likes to tell me a story when he was becoming an architect. They had built a bridge, but somehow, span pieces showed up too long, by a couple of inches. It was a big enough problem that they could not fix the span on site. So instead, they ordered as much ice as they could find and packed the span pieces into the ice overnight. The next day, they got up around 4 am, pulled the pieces out of the ice, and they fit, being an inch shorter. Glad they didn't have to do anything like that here.

Patience is a virtue. They still have a long way to go, and if we have a harsh winter, won't see anything worthwhile before sometime early next spring.

• Like 5

IT'S OFFICIAL FLIGHT DECK IS BECOMING The Bat!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

"Thirty-three years to the day it was first introduced in 1980, The Bat will fly again at [/size]Kings Island. The park is changing the name and colors of the Flight Deck roller coaster to The Bat. The change will take effect for the 2014 season.[/size]

“There was a lot of passion and enthusiasm around this name change by our guests,” Kings Island’s vice-president and general manager Greg Scheid said. “They tol[/size]d us this is a name they wanted us to bring back. We listened and we’re excited our guests will again be able to fly The Bat at Kings Island in 2014.

“The name also fits the characteristics of the ride. Similar to a bat in flight, riders soar through the air, swooping, circling and diving unexpectedly as they enjoy this ride.”

The newly named Bat is similar to its predecessor as a suspended roller coaster with the tracks above the trains. When the coaster train turns a corner, the cars are designed to swing out to the side, sometimes swinging the riders parallel to the ground.

The new color scheme for The Bat will feature orange track with two shades of charcoal for the columns and structure. Black will be the featured color of the trains.

Designed by the Arrow Dynamics Company, The Bat was custom designed for Kings Island when it debuted as Top Gun in 1993. Riders soar over the tree tops and through a hilly wooden terrain and a series of sharp turns on this seventh generation steel roller coaster. The attraction celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2013, giving its 20-millionth ride in June.

The Bat is one of 15 roller coasters at Kings Island, including the new world record-breaking Banshee set to debut in 2014.

The original Bat operated for parts of three seasons from 1981 to 1983, giving 1.8 million rides."[/size]

891953_620641127998526_1664836471_o.jpg[/size]

source: Greater Ohio Coaster Club Facebook page[/size]

Fail, while they are at it, lets rename Vortex to King Corbra. Backlot to Screaming Demon.

^I see you've been posting on KI's Facebook? :)

who?

Also... Devarious and fyrfyter, I am SO not a patient person :P with today's announcement, it is going to be VERY hard waiting for spring LOL 2012 ended lousy and 2013 has been pretty crappy for me with the exception of getting engaged. 2014 holds a lot of potential... an awesome new invert coaster, a cool new theme for an old coaster, and to top it all off, marrying the love of my life :D I'm not a patient person and don't wanna be when 2014 already is shaping up to be an incredible year and it's not even here yet lol

• Like 3

Fail, while they are at it, lets rename Vortex to King Corbra. Backlot to Screaming Demon.

But Vortex and King Cobra are drastically different coasters, ditto with Backlot Stunt Coaster and Screamin' Demon. Bat and Flight Deck, however, are both suspended roller coasters. Therefore, the renaming works in the nod-to-history sense. It also works in the "spooky" sense, as The Bat will neighbor Banshee. Renaming Vortex to King Cobra and Backlot Stunt Coaster to Screamin' Demon would make little sense, while renaming Flight Deck to The Bat is a clever idea that will give an old attraction new life, as well as tie the ride into the area better and probably give a small boost to merchandise sales.

• Like 11

It would make more sense for Invertigo to change its name to Screamin' Demon if they want to rename it. Similar concept. (Going forward and backward) and relatively same area.

Screamin' Demon was my first "big" ride. I remember being terrified. My daughter would laugh about being afraid of that ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Question for all you roller coaster type gurus out there.... Is there a specific name for coasters with box track?? (by box track I mean the type of track on coasters such as TTD, Millie, Maverick, Kingda Ka, XCelerator....) I've been wondering that for awhile lol

Is it just me, but I totally think they could keep Invertigo, and Delirium as names even with a retheme. I think they easily could sound scary as is, with some paint that is. I just don't like rides to change names

IF they re-name Invertigo, my best guess is that it would be called Stinger. I don't know if they will re-theme all of AZ or just have that corner over where Banshee and now The Bat just be a darker themed part, maybe make it a sub-section with its own name, kind of like X-Base is part of Coney Mall, but a sub-section with its own name :)

Question for all you roller coaster type gurus out there.... Is there a specific name for coasters with box track?? (by box track I mean the type of track on coasters such as TTD, Millie, Maverick, Kingda Ka, XCelerator....) I've been wondering that for awhile lol

That type of track is found on coasters built by INTAMIN.

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/

• Like 1