Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

not complaining but when are they going to tell us the height of the inversions? sorry my ocd gets to me, i like to know every fact i can about a ride. i do know that the first loop is 120-130ft because Delirium comes close to the loop crest when its full height is reached, if it does anymore.

side note: off topic for a minute... but good lord what the h#ll happened to Delirium's ride cycle? one full height swing (2 if you're lucky) and done? not worth the wait even with Fast Lane... sorry now that was complaining. black widow at kennywood is just so much better.

• Like 2

are we that bored now that we gotta "complain" or mention every oddity we don't like about this coaster?? WHO CARES if the width is seemingly wider than it is on other B&Ms..... it's gonna be awesome....

Besides, we don't know for sure it's wider until we have measured the width of the lift hill loops on all the other B&Ms :P

Excuse you?

No one is complaining, I was pointing it out and wondering "WHY?"

Besides, one can CLEARLY see by looking at the horizontal support, that it is wider.

I think since B&M is my favorite maker, and having ridden 41 of the 90 in the world, 13 of which are inverted, I would know.

Don't argue with me about B&M.

• Like 1

are we that bored now that we gotta "complain" or mention every oddity we don't like about this coaster?? WHO CARES if the width is seemingly wider than it is on other B&Ms..... it's gonna be awesome....

Besides, we don't know for sure it's wider until we have measured the width of the lift hill loops on all the other B&Ms :P

Excuse you?

Besides, one can CLEARLY see by looking at the horizontal support, that it is wider.

I think since B&M is my favorite maker, and having ridden 41 of the 90 in the world, 13 of which are inverted, I would know.

Yea I don't thinkt his is a complaint but it is kind of curious why the loop seems to be so wide compared to others. Hadn't noticed how wide it was until seeing it in that photo.

Three complete guesses concerning the wider loop:

1.) The trains themselves are wider than the old style of trains to accommodate the new restraints and new style of supporting the seats that Banshee will have. The clearance window would be widened accordingly, thus requiring a wider loop entry/exit.

2.) The new style of restraints offer enough arm movement that the clearance window must be widened for safety.

3.) There's a fish-eye effect in that photo, and the track spacing isn't as wide as it looks.

• Like 6

Don't know why its wider, but when I look at those loops, at least the ones where you can see the track going into/out of the loop, it appears that the train is coming mostly straight into the element and straight out of the element.

On Banshee, the train is making a fairly wide turn out of the dive element into the loop. The base may have been widened to lessen the forces coming out of the dive loop, into the vertical loop around the lift hill.

In the end, I'm not sure if it matters, at least not to the average park attendee.

I am not so technical on all the names and things of different loops and why things are the way they are. If I remember right, didn't they say that you do not hit max speed until half way through the ride? Is it possible that in order to achieve that, you would have to make an alteration to a loop earlier in the ride? Then again, perhaps they just want to do something different and not 'status quo' as the others.

It could've been them wanting a specific sized lift, twist, loop, etc. // or them needing more room as not to run into The Bat that couples into their decided heights/ lengths .. whatever.

A wider loop could've been a solution to meet requirements and still fit the ride in without re-angling the loop.

• Like 2

Excuse you?

1. Notice "complaining" was in quotes. I didn't know how to properly state it. Nit-pick, point out every detail that's different, whatever... what I meant is it's always something being brought up about how this is different or that is different and how someone doesn't like this or that, and it's kind of getting annoying.... We're getting a new coaster that's first of its kind to KI, offers several elements that no other coaster at Kings Island has.... and I hear people point out this, and that, and this isn't the same as other B&M inverts... and I am just like is it really that important?

2. I am not arguing. It seems you chose to take my post in a rather hostile manner when that's not at all how I wrote it nor intended it to be read. Chill.

3. I am not arguing with you about B&M nor do I care to. I don't care how many B&Ms you've ridden, or how that's relevant.

My point is this: Why is anyone on this forum still comparing Banshee to other B&Ms and questioning measurements, layouts, etc.?? Is it really that important that certain features be cookie cutter duplicates of features on other B&Ms?? Why can't we just trust that everyone behind the design, manufacturing, and building of this coaster know what they are doing and are doing things for a reason? :)

We are getting a brand new really awesome roller coaster that has a lot to offer and has a lot of features that no other coasters at Kings Island has!!! Is it really all that important if the loop is wider?? :P

That's all I meant, that's all I mean, that's all I'm saying. I never got an attitude with you, don't have one now, so there is no need for you to be so hostile towards me.

• Like 4

In my perspective, I really don't care that its wider, and I'm sure theres a reason for it. But figuring out the reason and understanding why it was done is fascinating to me and probably to the other people commenting about it.

An interesting observation I have made, is that the base of this first loop appears to be a bit wider than the second loop in the blueprints. This rules out the restraint/clearance window hypothesis, in my opinion. However, I think it has to do with the way the layout was designed. It could have to do with the fact that its encircling the lift hill, or the entrance/exit points of the loop. If you notice how the ride comes out of the first dive loop, in order to set up for the vertical loop, it has to bank slightly to the left. To shift this entrance point any closer to the exit point, that bank would need to be increased which might not have been how they wanted the ride to perform. And moving the exit point closer to the entrance point might not have set up the zero-g roll the way they wanted, or the rest of the ride after that for that matter, considering moving this section of the loop would shift the rest of the ride over. Or possibly this would cause the need for another banked turn in the ride somewhere short after the loop. I think they made the base wider because it was the easiest way to set up the ride to perform the way they wanted to, not necessarily because it changes the experience of the loop.

• Like 8

Excuse you?

1. Notice "complaining" was in quotes. I didn't know how to properly state it. Nit-pick, point out every detail that's different, whatever... what I meant is it's always something being brought up about how this is different or that is different and how someone doesn't like this or that, and it's kind of getting annoying.... We're getting a new coaster that's first of its kind to KI, offers several elements that no other coaster at Kings Island has.... and I hear people point out this, and that, and this isn't the same as other B&M inverts... and I am just like is it really that important?

2. I am not arguing. It seems you chose to take my post in a rather hostile manner when that's not at all how I wrote it nor intended it to be read. Chill.

3. I am not arguing with you about B&M nor do I care to. I don't care how many B&Ms you've ridden, or how that's relevant.

My point is this: Why is anyone on this forum still comparing Banshee to other B&Ms and questioning measurements, layouts, etc.?? Is it really that important that certain features be cookie cutter duplicates of features on other B&Ms?? Why can't we just trust that everyone behind the design, manufacturing, and building of this coaster know what they are doing and are doing things for a reason? :)

We are getting a brand new really awesome roller coaster that has a lot to offer and has a lot of features that no other coasters at Kings Island has!!! Is it really all that important if the loop is wider?? :P

That's all I meant, that's all I mean, that's all I'm saying. I never got an attitude with you, don't have one now, so there is no need for you to be so hostile towards me.

This is a enthusiast discussion board. It really shouldn't be strange that we are nit-picking details about Banshee considering this thread is centered around the construction of Banshee and the elements we look forward to in the spring. We are bound to make comparisons and inquiries about the ride, and how it may improve upon its predecessors. That's the fun of it all when there is construction downtime! Not trying to fuel a fire, just a piece of my perspective with this thread!

• Like 9

But she was born around this weather; she is native to it.

She was born in it

Molded by it

She didn't even see the warmth until she was fully built, by then it was nothing to her but HOT

I love cross threading references...

Back to the topic

I see a loop

That is all

Enjoy the loop

Don't question the loop

Just look and enjoy

Maybe ride the loop later

Loops

• Like 16

if one of the designers from B&M were on here and explained why that first loop is the way it is......I GUARANTEE you that 99.9% of the people interested in that would be saying "huh?!" and scratching their heads.....the physics, kinetic energy, design, weight distribution, distance speed etc.....not to mention all the series of equations it takes to make a coaster work like it does....you aren't going to understand unless you are a specialized mechanical engineer. this goes WAY beyond those little lessons they teach you in your high school calculus and trig classes that use a rollercoaster as one of their problems....its 100 times more involved than that. And if some of you diehards still wanna see why......just go down to the city planning and zoning department for where Kings Island is......and ask to view the plans......its a matter of public record so they will have to show them to you.....just be prepared......a steel coaster set of construction documents (blueprints) can be at LEAST 2 feet in diameter when rolled up! And if you want to see plans for a woody.....ive seen some that are in EXCESS of 2000 drawings....and these are large 30x42 inch sheets EACH........just saying.........oh, how do I know this.....im an architectural designer.....and back in school I went to magic mountain and went to view plans for a couple of their coasters...that's how I know..............

• Like 10

What's required to be filed in the State of California is far, far different than what is required to be filed in Ohio.

Don't expect to see the same level of detail publicly filed in Ohio. It isn't.

well im not saying you don't have to use a little finesse...you do. but anything that is being built for public use reguardless of the state must be available to the public for viewing......they may (and probably will) make u go thru some kind of red tape B.S......that's just how they are for some reason......I just have experience knowing how to get what I want.....and its not always easy.