Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

Do we, as a cumulative group, think the opening day line for Banshee will be longer than Diamondbacks was?

I don't believe the line will be nearly as long this time around.

Diamondback was the first big-time ride Kings Island received since Son of Beast. Nine long years between "blockbuster" attractions (no Paramount pun intended!). The collective sense that Kings Island was finally installing a people-moving headline attraction after years of mostly low-capacity installs. It was also (and still is) the tallest and fastest coaster Kings Island has installed. I really don't think that the importance of Diamondback's height can be overstated as far as the buzz it created on its opening day. Diamondback checked a ton of the "what Kings Island really needs" boxes and re-established Kings Island as a destination park.

The other thing to consider is that the weather on Diamondback's opening day was nearly perfect. It was a bit cool early in the morning but the sun was out in full measure. If we have weather similar to Diamondback's opening day it's possible that we get a similar crowd, but to me Diamondback's opening day was the perfect storm.

The best thing about Banshee is that it's a B&M. Opening day lines will be what they will be, but it's infinitely more important to have a coaster that is reliable and has high throughput ALL the time. It's going to be so nice to have another re-rideable coaster that has fast-moving lines!

In terms of enthusiasm amongst those who check roller coasters instead of academic courses off their list of credits, people have been clamoring for an inverted coaster to stake its claim on the Island for Kings for the better part of two decades. If the collective train of thought involving a new coaster install wasn't, "Hey, when do you suppose we'll get a ride that takes us 200 feet in the air and then sends us through more humps than a parade of camels in a Bollywood dance number?", then it might have instead been, "Hey, when do you suppose we'll get a ride that takes us 200 feet in the air and then sends us through said Bollywood camelback humps, but this time with our legs dangling freely and precariously above the ground?"

I wasn't there in person for the Banshee announcement, but I was in attendance for the Diamondback announcement, and I can comfortably say there were more people anxiously awaiting and even cheering on Banshee than they were for DB. Granted, Rattlesnake came about at a time when the park hadn't even thought of using the rapidly rising social media empire as a means to get hold of the younger generation, and even then their newly created Facebook page wasn't without its kinks (outdated snack nuts and extinct reptilian monstrosities be darned according to the young/old "thrill seekers"), so I think Banshee has the upper hand in the marketing wars.

I just think Banshee may have an even longer line than what The Serpentine Sidewinder had its opening day. At least now Sonny's old extended queue might get some action again with the eventual overflow.

• Like 11

Guest KingsIslandPR

The announcement for Diamondback drew a large crowd in Rivertown. The atmosphere was better for Banshee, but the number of guests for each announcement was comparable.

• Like 18

CJ is lifting the support for the second loop of the pretzel.....Yay!!!! (9:07)

i call it a pretzel loop too despite what b&m and Kings Island say. and just because i say pretzel loop doesnt mean im shoving that down everyone's throat. Kings Island and b&m say its batwing... ok great. i call it a pretzel loop because it looks similar to a pretzel. pretty much what im saying is people can call it whatever they want, im not correcting people to say its a batwing or saying its a pretzel loop. i see people say its a pretzel loop and i think yea it looks like that and then see people call it a batwing and im like yea thats what they want to say. so to me and whoever else wants to say it, its a pretzel loop and for the batwingers the same goes to you. rant over...

• Like 4

Do we, as a cumulative group, think the opening day line for Banshee will be longer than Diamondbacks was?

I don't believe the line will be nearly as long this time around.

Diamondback was the first big-time ride Kings Island received since Son of Beast. Nine long years between "blockbuster" attractions (no Paramount pun intended!). The collective sense that Kings Island was finally installing a people-moving headline attraction after years of mostly low-capacity installs. It was also (and still is) the tallest and fastest coaster Kings Island has installed. I really don't think that the importance of Diamondback's height can be overstated as far as the buzz it created on its opening day. Diamondback checked a ton of the "what Kings Island really needs" boxes and re-established Kings Island as a destination park.

The other thing to consider is that the weather on Diamondback's opening day was nearly perfect. It was a bit cool early in the morning but the sun was out in full measure. If we have weather similar to Diamondback's opening day it's possible that we get a similar crowd, but to me Diamondback's opening day was the perfect storm.

The best thing about Banshee is that it's a B&M. Opening day lines will be what they will be, but it's infinitely more important to have a coaster that is reliable and has high throughput ALL the time. It's going to be so nice to have another re-rideable coaster that has fast-moving lines!

In terms of enthusiasm amongst those who check roller coasters instead of academic courses off their list of credits, people have been clamoring for an inverted coaster to stake its claim on the Island for Kings for the better part of two decades. If the collective train of thought involving a new coaster install wasn't, "Hey, when do you suppose we'll get a ride that takes us 200 feet in the air and then sends us through more humps than a parade of camels in a Bollywood dance number?", then it might have instead been, "Hey, when do you suppose we'll get a ride that takes us 200 feet in the air and then sends us through said Bollywood camelback humps, but this time with our legs dangling freely and precariously above the ground?"

I wasn't there in person for the Banshee announcement, but I was in attendance for the Diamondback announcement, and I can comfortably say there were more people anxiously awaiting and even cheering on Banshee than they were for DB. Granted, Rattlesnake came about at a time when the park hadn't even thought of using the rapidly rising social media empire as a means to get hold of the younger generation, and even then their newly created Facebook page wasn't without its kinks (outdated snack nuts and extinct reptilian monstrosities be darned according to the young/old "thrill seekers"), so I think Banshee has the upper hand in the marketing wars.

I just think Banshee may have an even longer line than what The Serpentine Sidewinder had its opening day. At least now Sonny's old extended queue might get some action again with the eventual overflow.

Nah, there were tons of people at the DB announcement too. I liked the Banshee announcement better because it was done theatrically under the cloak of the night but Diamondback still drew a crazy crowd.

DSC_2008_Small.jpg

• Like 16

It wasn't the Entertainment Department who dressed in western garbs. It was the marketing interns. :rolleyes: DB had people dressed in garbs, but Banshee was at night, had cool lighting, funeral-esque church benches, etc. Not to mention the teasers throughout the year. The last thing you would want to do is put on the same show twice.

• Like 8

If the logo were in cursive, the kids couldn't read it. Common Core has killed that sort of penmanship.

Half joking aside, what sort of cursive do you mean? I'm intrigued.

Common core has not killed cursive. It was killed long before that. I learned it in second grade, was required to use it occasionally in third grade, and have not used it since. I am now in tenth grade. *Only exception being my signature. (And even that had made up letters.)

It's a Batwing, not a pretzel.

We're still on that?

Apparently. Pretzels are VERY different experiences. When even the park's PR person comes on here and says the park and B&M say it's a Batwing, I think I'd listen.

That's just me.

I'm funny that way.

Words matter.

I agree, words matter.

Though, pretzel KNOTS have very similar experiences to batwings.

I don't know why anyone ever said pretzel loop.

And yeah, it's a batwing, officially. A unique one, but officially a batwing.. that uniqueness is what causes argument. http://rcdb.com/1292.htm

--

Just because it's official, doesn't mean it's always the best answer (Meaning IMO for this case). Though, it's usually the best answer.

I've never said pretzel loop.

Put me on team pretzel knot. I think we should even try to convince B&M that its a knot. Considering the only other coaster with it is that one, they may not even be aware of this element's existence. (As for how we would try to convince them, I have no clue. So don't ask.)

• Like 6

I'm just going to call it a Batzel to any JQ Public I here talking about it. Just to throw people off. You know, start some rumors and stuff, I'm fun like that.

I would love to see the public's reply to the "Batzel". That would be golden.

" Golden Batzels.". Well, there IS a new chef for new food ideas, and the food hut signs have been taken down...
  • Like 3

Guest KingsIslandPR

April 17 is the tentative date for Media Day. Subject to change.

To attend Media Day, one must be either a member of the news media or an active card-carrying member of one of the select number of approved roller coaster clubs and enthusiast groups.

• Like 16

Will we have to register in advance to attend?

Probably. I'm sure the details are still being worked out. Remember, the focus of a media day is to publicize the new ride and the park. Enthusiasts can be incidental (and instrumental) in helping to do that. Clubs are used as they have codes of conduct that help ensure a good event for all concerned--the press, the park and the clubs.

• Like 4

To attend Media Day, one must be either a member of the news media or an active card-carrying member of one of the select number of approved roller coaster clubs and enthusiast groups.

Is Coaster Crew one of those approved?

The list has not been announced yet.

• Like 2

Except GOCC. They mentioned on their Facebook page that members will be invited.

I do hope the April 17th date sticks around. It works out beautifully with my school schedule.

• Like 7

To attend Media Day, one must be either a member of the news media or an active card-carrying member of one of the select number of approved roller coaster clubs and enthusiast groups.

Except GOCC. They mentioned on their Facebook page that members will be invited.

I do hope the April 17th date sticks around. It works out beautifully with my school schedule.

Well I might join them then in case Coaster Crew is excluded lol. Or ACE. I mean ACE gets everything LOL

• Like 2