Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

Alright can we please get back on topic. If you want to complain or whatever why Don't you make a topic about "Capitalization of Trademarks, etc." so that this topic which is about "Banshee Construction and Updates" can stay on topic. Thank you. Alright back on topic, what do you guys think is going in the circle that used to be the action circle?

Unfortunately, this is directly on topic. The possible infringement is here..it gets addressed HERE. A separate topic would just be ignored. Evidence KIC is trying to address the situation needs to be here.

escalator used to be Escalator.

thermos used to be Thermos.

aspirin used to be Aspirin.

Cedar Fair rightly wants to be sure that Six Flags or the Kochs can't open a ride called Magnum just as now ANY park can open a Big Dipper, Cyclone or Comet.

It's called genericization. It is a mark of this site's prestige and position in the Kings Island forums market that we could influence that--for good or ill.

And complaining about that is off topic. It is not on the table for change or to be ignored. It is this board's policy that Cedar Fair's intellectual property, including trademarks and photographs and that of others (sponsors particularly) not produced by the poster will be acknowledged and protected.

• Like 17

Frankly, I come on this thread to talk about Banshee, its construction, and other updates concerning the ride. I do not like coming on this thread, expecting conversations around the ride, and getting all this stuff about capitalization.

If I were someone trying to join this site, this would be a HUGE turn off for me not to visit the site.

• Like 4

I don't have a real problem with the whole capitalization thing but I hope that in the coming times the "good relationship with the park" we're trying to create doesn't make the Board become the park.

Any time the Base takes over the Fan Base or really any intervention it often doesn't go over too well. See Star Wars and Harry Potter's Fan Bases.

• Like 10

I remember back in Elementary School at a small place in the North of the South, where I was told to always capitalize names of things.

Barney likes apples.

The Beast likes people.

BB1 likes Boomerang Bay.

So on and so forth.

What is being asked is Common Sense, nothing more, nothing less. In fact, Common Sense is also a book by Mr. Paine, great writer too. I instantly capitalize anything that has name sake in any case. I just move my pinky finger to the Caps Lock, click it, click a button, click it again. Take it for instance HTML coding, do you want to make a website? Pay close attention to your HTML coding, capitalize all the necessary codes, because if you don't, poof. Your website will not work.

• Like 2

What happened to the society where someone kindly asked you to do something and you did it and said "Yes Sir" and moved on...

Least I have a bit of that I guess

In that society, roller coasters, amusement park attractions and amusement parks themselves Don't exist. It is the human mind that asks the question "why?" and challenges the status quo, that allows KI to exist in the first place and, subsequently, this website. So again, forgive me for asking "why?"

What is the problem with asking "why?"

• Like 4

What happened to the society where someone kindly asked you to do something and you did it and said "Yes Sir" and moved on...

Least I have a bit of that I guess

In that society, roller coasters, amusement park attractions and amusement parks themselves Don't exist. It is the human mind that asks the question "why?" and challenges the status quo, that allows KI to exist in the first place and, subsequently, this website. So again, forgive me for asking "why?"

What is the problem with asking "why?"

Edit: LOL you can't post the word "Don't" without it automatically being capitalized on here, apparently!

*Cough cough* Coney Island *Cough cough*

I don't have a real problem with the whole capitalization thing but I hope that in the coming times the "good relationship with the park" we're trying to create doesn't make the Board become the park.

Any time the Base takes over the Fan Base or really any intervention it often doesn't go over too well. See Star Wars and Harry Potter's Fan Bases.

Anyone remeber the Ride Warrior forums…

I agree with his statement 100%. This forum is starting to get taken over a bit in my opinion…

• Like 5

(in response to BB1's post about the importance of capitalization during web site coding: "Pay close attention to your HTML coding, capitalize all the necessary codes, because if you don't, poof. Your website will not work.") Exactly. I know first hand the consequences of not following exact HTML syntax. There have been a few times when I've coded and wondered why my site won't load, but then I've found a tiny little syntax error that I overlooked. So, the lesson here is this: always double-check your code! :)

Oh, and more on topic, 69 days till Banshee opens; Woo-hoo!!!!

• Like 6

Anyone remeber the Ride Warrior forums…

I agree with his statement 100%. This forum is starting to get taken over a bit in my opinion…

It's really quite simple. This community uses intellectual property owned by Cedar Fair and its partners/subsidiaries, including photos and trademarks. This property is extremely valuable, and all companies must take steps to safeguard it.

The conditions for such use requested by Kings Island are very simple. Write trademarks in their correct form, properly attribute images owned by Cedar Fair, and use the correct names when referring to the company's products/services.

As has now been communicated to us many times, this site has accepted and will enforce this very basic request.

• Like 7

This is not some indoctrinating cult or some ploy for power from "the man" it is protection of property. It is really simple. Sorry for adding another one of "those" posts.

Protection from what? Some 14-year-old logging onto a message board and typing pirehawk instead of Firehawk jeopardizes what about Cedar Fair's property, exactly? That's all I'm asking. Again, I capitalize what we're supposed to and think everyone should be doing the same, and will do so without complaint, but I will also continue to wonder why.

It's really quite simple. This community uses intellectual property owned by Cedar Fair and its partners/subsidiaries, including photos and trademarks. This property is extremely valuable, and all companies must take steps to safeguard it.

The conditions for such use requested by Kings Island are very simple. Write trademarks in their correct form, properly attribute images owned by Cedar Fair, and use the correct names when referring to the company's products/services.

As has now been communicated to us many times, this site has accepted and will enforce this very basic request.

Again, I get why KIC is requesting and enforcing such a rule. They should, they're protecting themselves. I just don't get why Cedar Fair would care if a pre-teen created a username, logged on and asked a question about "Vortexx" on here.

Protection from what? Some 14-year-old logging onto a message board and typing pirehawk instead of Firehawk jeopardizes what about Cedar Fair's property, exactly? That's all I'm asking. Again, I capitalize what we're supposed to and think everyone should be doing the same, and will do so without complaint, but I will also continue to wonder why.

Really, it doesn't matter why. As the owner of the intellectual property in question, Cedar Fair has the right to impose conditions on its usage. They've been generous enough to allow us to use their intellectual property with very few restrictions.

For those still curious as to why Cedar Fair might care, read the past several pages of this topic. Many members, most notably Terp, have given numerous very good reasons.

Cedar Fair has a legal obligation to its unitholders to preserve the value of its intellectual property. With trademarks, this value includes both exclusive use and goodwill. The company must ensure that entities allowed to use their intellectual property - including KICentral - are not hurting its brand(s) or contributing to the genericization of its trademark(s).

• Like 7

And in addition to all that has been said, we aren't here to be grammar Nazis. The only reason that we find it so important to keep enforcing this issue is, simply put, the admins have asked us to and it's good for the future of Kings Island. There are many things that are technically TOS violations that are minor enough that we ignore them. Imagine someone were to make a post that said:

"i dont really like ice cream"

Assuming that such a post is on topic, we probably wouldn't say anything. It looks unprofessional and we'll all cringe, but at the end of the day, nobody is getting hurt by it. I'm not encouraging people to use bad grammar elsewhere, but with trademarks, copyrights, etc, it is very important. Remember the KIC day we had in June and the Birthday Bash we had a couple months later? Do you think the park would hold such events if our failure to correctly use trademark names led to a competing park being able to open a coaster named The Beast, Vortex, Diamondback, Banshee, etc?

• Like 6

It's very exciting that it is getting closer to opening day to finally ride this awesome looking ride! I look forward to many rides on this new attraction, but:

Please check out the movie, 1984. IMHO, this site and the park has taken that movie to heart. The names of some of these attractions are also names of other things and if the park wants me to capitalize the rides names and this site is going to enforce this, then my form of civil disobedience will be to not use the names of the attractions or of the park in any of my future posts.

• Like 5

Imagine someone were to make a post that said:

"i dont really like ice cream"

Assuming that such a post is on topic, we probably wouldn't say anything. It looks unprofessional and we'll all cringe, but at the end of the day, nobody is getting hurt by it. I'm not encouraging people to use bad grammar elsewhere, but with trademarks, copyrights, etc, it is very important. Remember the KIC day we had in June and the Birthday Bash we had a couple months later? Do you think the park would hold such events if our failure to correctly use trademark names led to a competing park being able to open a coaster named The Beast, Vortex, Diamondback, Banshee, etc?

I disagree. People would probably say something if you actually said you didn't like ice cream.

• Like 10