Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

Protection from what? Some 14-year-old logging onto a message board and typing pirehawk instead of Firehawk jeopardizes what about Cedar Fair's property, exactly? That's all I'm asking. Again, I capitalize what we're supposed to and think everyone should be doing the same, and will do so without complaint, but I will also continue to wonder why.

Really, it doesn't matter why. As the owner of the intellectual property in question, Cedar Fair has the right to impose conditions on its usage. They've been generous enough to allow us to use their intellectual property with very few restrictions.

For those still curious as to why Cedar Fair might care, read the past several pages of this topic. Many members, most notably Terp, have given numerous very good reasons.

Cedar Fair has a legal obligation to its unitholders to preserve the value of its intellectual property. With trademarks, this value includes both exclusive use and goodwill. The company must ensure that entities allowed to use their intellectual property - including KICentral - are not hurting its brand(s) or contributing to the genericization of its trademark(s).

To you it might not matter why, but some of us are curious.

People have given reasons, none of which I would consider to be "good" reasons for this specific issue being discussed.

Your last paragraph, I get all that. Makes a ton of sense to me. But for them to care about a capitalization error here or there on an internet message board just seems excessive to me. If there was rampant misuse of their trademarks on here, I would understand. But the ocassional non-capitalization of rides? Come on.

It's all a moot point anyway since it appears that it is now impossible to not capitalize ride names on here, which is a smart move by KIC.

But it's a message board. I'm here for discussion. My biggest problem is with the people that say "just do it, it doesn't matter why." Why can't we just talk about it?

• Like 1

Wait, there are filters that can automatically replace text?

This is a test. If the test passes, all will be fine. If it fails, I will edit this post.

Kings Island.

Edit: Yes, there is code in place to replace, at least, an all lower-case "Kings Island" to the properly capitalized name. Very cool.

It's for all rides too, I believe. It also automatically capitalizes Don. You can't even use the word don't without the D automatically being capitalized.

Now hopefully all this discussion can be put to rest!

Edit: apparently the don't thing is no longer the case, haha. It definitely was yesterday though.

Wait, there are filters that can automatically replace text?

This is a test. If the test passes, all will be fine. If it fails, I will edit this post.

Kings Island.

Edit: Yes, there is code in place to replace, at least, an all lower-case "Kings Island" to the properly capitalized name. Very cool.

It's for all rides too, I believe. It also automatically capitalizes Don. You can't even use the word don't without the D automatically being capitalized.

Now hopefully all this discussion can be put to rest!

^ Clearly, you can use the word "don't". Now let's test something else...

I don my fanny pack for my trip to the amusement park.

EDIT: Not perfect yet. Or perhaps it is working exactly as it should. I worked an internship in software quality assurance, so I like trying to break software. Not trying to be mean-spirited, just trying to help potential issues get found.

• Like 3

Just out of curiosity....

Invertigo

bat

The Bat

Banshee

Adventure Express

racer

The Racer

Flight of Fear

Firehawk

Vortex

beast

The Beast

Diamondback

Delirium

Drop Tower

monster

scrambler

WindSeeker

That's some pretty cool technology! Well done, KIC!

• Like 9

And you'll notice, Racer and Scrambler are not trademarked ride names. Bat, when not preceded by "the", can describe an animal or a piece of baseball equipment. Monsters can live under your bed. And if I wanted to be an insufferable teenager, I could describe something that was fun as being "beast".

So even where it misses, it actually doesn't.

• Like 4

Protection from what? Some 14-year-old logging onto a message board and typing pirehawk instead of Firehawk jeopardizes what about Cedar Fair's property, exactly? That's all I'm asking. Again, I capitalize what we're supposed to and think everyone should be doing the same, and will do so without complaint, but I will also continue to wonder why.

Really, it doesn't matter why. As the owner of the intellectual property in question, Cedar Fair has the right to impose conditions on its usage. They've been generous enough to allow us to use their intellectual property with very few restrictions.

For those still curious as to why Cedar Fair might care, read the past several pages of this topic. Many members, most notably Terp, have given numerous very good reasons.

Cedar Fair has a legal obligation to its unitholders to preserve the value of its intellectual property. With trademarks, this value includes both exclusive use and goodwill. The company must ensure that entities allowed to use their intellectual property - including KICentral - are not hurting its brand(s) or contributing to the genericization of its trademark(s).

People have given reasons, none of which I would consider to be "good" reasons for this specific issue being discussed.

Your last paragraph, I get all that. Makes a ton of sense to me. But for them to care about a capitalization error here or there on an internet message board just seems excessive to me. If there was rampant misuse of their trademarks on here, I would understand. But the ocassional non-capitalization of rides? Come on.

It's all a moot point anyway since it appears that it is now impossible to not capitalize ride names on here, which is a smart move by KIC.

But it's a message board. I'm here for discussion. My biggest problem is with the people that say "just do it, it doesn't matter why." Why can't we just talk about it?

I will leave you with this: Terms of Service. If that doesn't satisfy your quest for why, please contact Dane or any other site admin.

I get that you're inquisitive, I am too....but it's at the point now, we need to move on. Dane and his team have updated the TOS to reflect the stance on the issue. It has been explained why many times but the answer isn't good enough for some people.

As a user of this free "anonymous" message board, you agree to the TOS. If you do not follow them, you are at risk for suspension/termination of your account, etc by Dane and his team.

To quote the TOS on trademarks, etc, everyone here has agreed to them by signing up for an account and/or continuing to use their account:

You agree to respect the intellectual property rights of others by, for example, linking to images and photographs that are not your original works and including an attribution; properly capitalizing trade names, trademarks and service marks and by only quoting short portions of published works and linking to the source where available--not posting entire articles belonging to another, whether copyrighted or not. Not respecting the intellectual property rights of others is a violation of the terms of service.

If any of these rules are violated under your screen name. Whether or not they were your doing. YOU are responsible for anything posted or sent under your screen name.

If there are any questions from this point, they should be directed to Dane and his staff.

Back to Banshee construction progress, we've seen one picture of the ride envelope on the track, do you think there will be any more of that happening? Will we see a pull through? I know we've recently not seen a lot via B&M on the subject of pull-throughs, but was just wondering.

• Like 6

I will leave you with this: Terms of Service. If that doesn't satisfy your quest for why, please contact Dane or any other site admin.

I get that you're inquisitive, I am too....but it's at the point now, we need to move on. Dane and his team have updated the TOS to reflect the stance on the issue. It has been explained why many times but the answer isn't good enough for some people.

As a user of this free "anonymous" message board, you agree to the TOS. If you do not follow them, you are at risk for suspension/termination of your account, etc by Dane and his team.

To quote the TOS on trademarks, etc, everyone here has agreed to them by signing up for an account and/or continuing to use their account:

You agree to respect the intellectual property rights of others by, for example, linking to images and photographs that are not your original works and including an attribution; properly capitalizing trade names, trademarks and service marks and by only quoting short portions of published works and linking to the source where available--not posting entire articles belonging to another, whether copyrighted or not. Not respecting the intellectual property rights of others is a violation of the terms of service.

If any of these rules are violated under your screen name. Whether or not they were your doing. YOU are responsible for anything posted or sent under your screen name.

If there are any questions from this point, they should be directed to Dane and his staff.

Back to Banshee construction progress, we've seen one picture of the ride envelope on the track, do you think there will be any more of that happening? Will we see a pull through? I know we've recently not seen a lot via B&M on the subject of pull-throughs, but was just wondering.

You, as many others have too for some reason, have completely missed the point of my posts. I fully, 100% understand why KIC has asked people to capitalize trademarked names, and think that they should continue to do so. I completely support them in their efforts to enforce that rule, and will adhere to it without complaint. That is not what I have been asking questions about.

Edit: I apologize for the long post, I would delete out some of the quoted text but I'm on my iPad and that task is a pain!

The answers have been laid out for you. That is not enough for you as you have said, you wouldn't consider them good enough, please contact Dane to answer your questions. If his answers aren't good enough, contact Cedar Fair. There isn't any more knowledge that we can send your way on the topic further than we have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

^^I'm ready to move on too. From day one we all should have just moved on. I just want to make sure everyone understands, everything is solved, and everything is A OK before we move on.

Like I said we still have a slightly damaged relationship, lets work on mending it, which means WE as a whole group.

No more arguing and bickering over trademarks, no more sneaking into the park, no more touching things we're not supposed to touch, no more leaving and walking around where we were told to stay, etc.

It's quite simple. Follow the rules and Thrills Connect yo

• Like 7

If anyone would like to continue to beat the dead horse of asking why after its been explained many times, please send me a PM and not continue to flood this thread of off topic discussion.

Also if any further posts trying to trick up the code, or purposely modifying text so it won't be caught will be awarded with vacation time. It's about a half a hour worth of programming time, it's not done, and it's not perfect. What it's is though is very annoying to myself and other users.

• Like 22

I feel like I was involved in taking this thread off topic and at least partially responsible for the several posts of people trying to break the filters. For that, I apologize.

To help bring this thread back on topic, I noticed when looking on the webcams that Banshee's track color works really well with Invertigo and The Bat's new color schemes. I wonder if management knew anything about Banshee when the decision to repaint Invertigo was made. Whether intentional or lucky accident, each of the coasters in Action Zone look great and they're all really going to pop on the skyline. I can't wait to see them all together from the midway.

• Like 11

I feel like I was involved in taking this thread off topic and at least partially responsible for the several posts of people trying to break the filters. For that, I apologize.

To help bring this thread back on topic, I noticed when looking on the webcams that Banshee's track color works really well with Invertigo and The Bat's new color schemes. I wonder if management knew anything about Banshee when the decision to repaint Invertigo was made. Whether intentional or lucky accident, each of the coasters in Action Zone look great and they're all really going to pop on the skyline. I can't wait to see them all together from the midway.

I'd bet Banshee was planned before Invertigo was repainted.

• Like 2

One of My favorite part of this is that KI is finally leaving the 90's. That whole decade after Grunge seemed to be a contest to find the brightest and the colors that would most likely fade to a puke-shade in 7-years. The Yellow and Red combo has been out since the Mid-00's and I can't believe it's taken 14' and beyond to realize that.

• Like 6

Then what is the question, I browsed the past couple posts you made and I must not be seeing it. I see more statements than questions. Be specific we might be able to finally spell it out then

I get why KIC wants us to capitalize trademarked names. I get why owners of trademarked names want to protect their trademarks. If there was rampant non-capitalization of names on here, I would get why CF would want something to be done about it. What I DON'T get, is why they would care if the occasional poster misspelled a CF trademarked name, or didn't capitalize the first letter of it. That is my question -- why would they care about that?

Again, it's all a moot point now as the issue has been resolved quite creatively by KIC, which I am impressed by. Just clearing up the point I was making.

I'll drop it for now, sorry for derailing the thread.

• Like 1

Then what is the question, I browsed the past couple posts you made and I must not be seeing it. I see more statements than questions. Be specific we might be able to finally spell it out then

I get why KIC wants us to capitalize trademarked names. I get why owners of trademarked names want to protect their trademarks. If there was rampant non-capitalization of names on here, I would get why CF would want something to be done about it. What I DON'T get, is why they would care if the occasional poster misspelled a CF trademarked name, or didn't capitalize the first letter of it. That is my question -- why would they care about that?

Again, it's all a moot point now as the issue has been resolved quite creatively by KIC, which I am impressed by. Just clearing up the point I was making.

I'll drop it for now, sorry for derailing the thread.

Read the section about trademark infringement. It explains why all brands fight to keep their brand names. It's to prevent the dilution of the brand into a common name that is synonymous with the brand name. People are often sued for infringement of brand names.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Trademarks

Here are some pending trademark infringement cases.

http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Trademark+Infringement+Cases+2014&qpvt=trademark+infringement+cases+2014&FORM=EWRE

The guys are only reinforcing the capitalization for protection of brand names and actually anyone who might infringe on a trademarked name.

Protect yourself and the site by capitalizing trademarked names.....PLEASE!

• Like 2

Is there a way on here to block posts from certain people? So that anything they post wont be seen by me? But everything else will? I just looked at the entire latest page of posts for "Banshee construction progress", And on this entire page.....only 4 of them pertained to the work being done on this awesome new coaster. Really pathetic if you ask me. Sorry if I am stepping on toes, but its really getting old.

My name is Lora. People never question it being capitalized. It is my name. When I get mail or my paycheck, all legal documents my name is capitalized. People question how it is spelled. I understand why, it's not the most common spelling. I have gone so far as to have people correct me on the pronunciation of it. (I had a sales person repeatedly calling me Law-ruh. I simply said no, it's Lo-rah. I then spelled out my name and told her my mom just did not know how to spell it.) However, I have frequently had to spell out my name L O R A. I have never had to say "Capital letter L." It's not necessary since it's *my name*.

If your name is Jonathan or Devan or Bill or Betty or any other name you expect your name to be capitalized as well. It's not debated. It's *your* name. It is what *you* are identified as.

So why is it so foreign of a concept to use capitalized letters for the names rides, companies, amusement parks, etc? Why is this debated? Why question why does it need to be done?

Additionally, this forum is free to us. It does not have excessive amounts of rules to follow. The TOS are simple, common sense requests.

It is truly sad people argue this when the PR of Kings Island has asked and the ones who run this site and the one who had been given repeated permission to correct it. No one has asked you to do anything beyond common courtesy, respect and to use correct capitalization. It is not about one slip up. It's about the continual and often intentional misuse of trademarked names.

I find it sad that this is such a huge issue someone had to create a way to correct this. I think that shows his level of seriousness regarding this matter. If he is being proactive to protect you, respect him and this site enough to use capitalization properly and not debate "why".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 11