Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

As for KI getting the Flying Eagles back anytime soon, I asked this question to Don at the ACE December meeting at KI. His answer was nope. So I trust that answer and was very sad to hear it. It is a ride many miss and it does get a line (not huge but I usually had to wait several cylcles to ride).

• Like 9

I think The Bat Cam has been up for the last few weeks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wow it has been awhile since I have looked lol Nice. Looks like we got our wish for a bat cam lol

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using tapatalk

• Like 4

As for KI getting the Flying Eagles back anytime soon, I asked this question to Don at the ACE December meeting at KI. His answer was nope. So I trust that answer and was very sad to hear it. It is a ride many miss and it does get a line (not huge but I usually had to wait several cylcles to ride).

Yeah, getting the Flying Eagles back isn't gonna happen; it's already re-established and loved by a new park. We can't take a toy from a child!

I'm hinting at a certain possibility though, if you look at the technicalities of the words; if you use low contextual meaning, like the US is known for..

Not that I know.

--

BTW, although there's a ton of snow, (most probably more than that), you can see in the circle that there are footings, or some sort of cement placing in a bulls-eye format. Use that to your assumptions, not your dreams haha

And also with the white-out, I can see some more fences are placed around the lower portions, which I couldn't really make out with normal weather.

It ain't always bad.

• Like 2

Do not judge the Flying Eagles by the modern imitations. They are NOT as good a ride. Not even close. In addition, even Knoebels set is, in my opinion, inferior. First of all, the birdies fly in the wrong direction. It's disorienting. I don't like it as well. Second, frequently at that park, if snapping begins, the ride is immediately and substantially slowed down. Sometimes even at Phall Phun Phest.

The former KI scooters that are now at Carowinds are indeed awesome. However, the fact that Carowinds shuts down the ride at the first snap can mean very short ride cycles. ;)

Knoebels' scooters, on the other hand, are a little harder to snap but they usually allow riders to be more frisky. I've had plenty of snaps per cycle there without interference.

I wonder how much older the Coney Island/Kings Island/Carowinds set is than the fun-but-snapless Kings Dominion set (1975).

• Like 1

Just guessing but maybe different types of cables are used between variations of these rides, some that can handle the friction and others that may not be able to?

Now, I'm not saying we are getting Flying Eagles back, but do you honestly think Don would just casually tell you "Yup, they are definitely making a comeback next year. Don't ruin the surprise for everyone else" ?

• Like 8

There really isn't a ton of snow. Maybe 2 inches tops.

If we took all the snow that has fallen, I wouldn't doubt that we'd match or exceed a ton; 1 ton, 2000lbs..

I didn't say how many inches there were, or how big of an area I'd collect from.

I was making a joke with my dry sense of humor. Not obvious, but it's there.

• Like 8

Now, I'm not saying we are getting Flying Eagles back, but do you honestly think Don would just casually tell you "Yup, they are definitely making a comeback next year. Don't ruin the surprise for everyone else" ?

I think if a professional Public Relations official wanted to keep such a thing secret, they would be able to make a convincing denial without saying "No, it won't happen". My thoughts would be that if we were getting Flying Scooters, his response would be more along the lines of "details of our ride linuep for 2014 will be fully released later on as we approach opening day." Stock PR response that neither reveals nor denies anything specific.

And then someone would hear that and come on this forum and declare that Banshee was a giant diversion and the REAL flagship addition for 2014 will be a green Intamin Giga Coaster and that they're going to tear down Vortex to build it since it's obviously sinking anyway.

• Like 12

It looks like they are working on Xtreme Skyflyer.

Looks like the lights are back on tonight!

GODZILLA2877 and TheBeast1116, please don't directly link to the webcam. When you do, the picture will continually update and do two negative things:

1. No longer relate to what you're referring to sometime down the road

2. Be very dark and no longer visible for those of us reading the thread at 4:30 in the morning.

Instead, save the picture to your computer and then upload it onto a service like imgur.

Back to the circle debate... I took a screen shot of a Google Earth map of Kings Dominion's Flying Eagles and used Photoshop to put them into the circle in Kings Island. Both images were taken at the same zoomed in distance. This is how it would look.

[Picture]

This is without space for a queue line. I never thought they were coming anyways, but now I'm pretty positive it is too cramped for them to fit.

I need something better to do on a Saturday night...

I did a very similar Photoshop in this thread, only I used Columbus Zoo's flying scooters.

qwcQR0O.jpg

By no means do I think the park will actually add a set of scooters into the area, but I don't think it'd be a bottleneck nightmare like everyone is presenting it. Just reference The Magic Carpets of Aladdin at Magic Kingdom - it's a similar sized ride tucked into a similar sized midway.

And, it's already March. I doubt they could fully assemble and test a ride in a month and a half.

They wouldn't have to be ready for opening day. Firehawk didn't open until Memorial Day weekend.

(Not that I think a ride is going to be assembled in that circle.)

But unlike Firehawk, the new set of scooters would not be off to the side of the midway, but instead in the direct center of it. And it'd be a very busy, traffic-heavy midway. If the park was to add flying scooters in the former target area, I think they would be open by opening day.

You may think there is plenty of room, but think about the lines for Ice Cream and Drinks. Then you have a HUGE bottle neck. You would then have to do one of the following:

1. Walk through the congested line, for food, to get to Banshee and The Bat etc.

or

2. Walk all the way around the flying scooters to get to said rides etc.

The complaints would be flying.

• Like 2

The good news is spring is getting closer cause as of Wednesday, everyday their after shown on my phone is supposed to be 40 deg or warmer! no that's not really warm but rids this god awful snow! Hopefully the last of it till fall/winter later this year...

Note: the temperature is for around the Cincinnati area.

• Like 3

Just reference The Magic Carpets of Aladdin at Magic Kingdom - it's a similar sized ride tucked into a similar sized midway.

That ride does create bottlenecks on lots of days. It disrupts the free flow of traffic from Jungle Cruise all the way over to Pirates, not to mention does a superb job of blocking the view of the midway. With dueling Dumbos (with its innovative que) now operational over in FL, the need for this ride is, in my mind, no longer needed.

• Like 2

Whatever they are doing with the circle thing I don't think they want us to know because it's mostly off camera :)

The circle is actually still completely in the view of the webcam. The snow is covering it now but it's all there.

ah ok. yeah I couldn't see that... I see some pathway slightly off camera though so not sure what they're doing there.

Maneuvering the tub such that slack in the cables results. Then gravity takes over. SNAP!

Contrary to much belief, neither wide nor wild sail movement is necessary. Being extremely light weight does help, though.

To elaborate on Terpy's comment...

At the front and back of each tub, there are 2 cables (4 total.) They are doubled and coupled together for safety purposes. By directing the tub to drop downward toward the center axis while in motion, it causes the rear of the tub to bottom out leaving slack in the front 2 cables. As inertia takes over, the tub rights itself and the front 2 cables tighten and "snap" together. The tub then makes a dramatic surge upward and in some cases goes completely horizontal above the pivot point at the top arms of the carriage.

The visuals of this prompted both "ooohs and ahhhhs" from guests, as well as concerns among those worried about safety. Sometimes, when many pro "snappers" were on board, the carriage arms would shake and thud loudly. For those riding, the swoop upward was literally a thrill beyond belief.

• Like 14

Yeah, the first few times I "snapped", I thought I was doing something wrong and breaking the ride. I saw people watching me, but the op wouldn't say anything. I would try to stop snapping and sometimes that seemed to just make it worse. :lol:

Later I realized it was accepted by the park and was, really, the only way to ride.

• Like 10