Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

Side note, did anyone else get the Banshee Media Day email?

EDIT: Also Don has stated that the on-ride photo location will be at the bottom of the dive loop between the loop surrounding the lift hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I think it would. The ground elevation at the end of the brake shed is 721 ft, whereas it's only ~700 ft at the base of the second lift (and only 647 ft at the turn into the small hill before the lift). That doesn't account for the height of the track, but that's not a real big difference.

(Numbers obtained from Google Earth)

• Like 1

Anyone who uses characters other than letters in their name should be required to fully pronounce the name of that character when saying their name.

So Ke$ha should have to refer to herself as "Key-dollar-sign-ha."

jcgoble3, who is aware that this post is totally off-topic but can't resist posting it anyway

• Like 14

Quick question concerning Media Day:

I would recommend contacting Don from KI (via e-mail), Dane from KIC (via PM), and/or a representative from your coaster club. As Devan noted above, it was asked that details not be posted here.

Making arrangements to arrive on time is probably your best bet.

• Like 5

Like Dane posted in the other topic, let's not discuss the schedule for the day in any further detail. Like malem said, can we please automatically divert any Media Day questions to Don, Dane, or your enthusiast club? There really isn't a good reason to post any questions about Media Day on the forum at this point, apart from general questions that new members might ask (like "what is Media Day", etc.--nothing that covers any specific information from the email.)

I don't mean to sound like I consider myself any authority on the forum. I'm not calling out anyone in particular, either, even though this post sounds like I'm calling out Coasterama. It's just a suggestion, and I'm hoping people will join me in playing it safe. I like having the opportunity to participate in Media Day.

• Like 5

It wouldn't possibly have enough momentum to get all the way to lift 2 if it were stopped there!

You're wrong. You forget the drop that happens right after that section. Have you ever noticed how far up the second lift the train makes it before the lift kicks in?

I thought the shed had kicker tires on there as well.

IMO Beast should be able to run four..The crew needs to step up and bust ass. Plus I don't get why the trains don't get bumped up to right before the station..that giant gap there makes no sense to me.

I understand you have been a ride operator in the past and what not but DO NOT talk about a crew that works hard every single day in order to keep the ride capacity up. IF you have worked Beast, then maybe I would consider this a valid point. But you haven't… So you have no idea what your talking about. Not trying to come across as rude or anything, but I just figured a former operator would know and appreciate the work that these kids go through...

If a 4th train were to be added the possibility of a train setting up on Lift 2 is VERY high. If you worked at Beast you would know that the Lift 2 motor is a bit weak and could potentially cause a fault if it were to set up. Thus defeating the entire purpose of having a 4th train. Its not a major fault, but it requires time to re-set.

Not knocking you down or anything, just sharing my knowledge here. Kings Island has fantastic crews of ride operators that work very hard to keep capacity up at the highest level possible. They know what they are doing.

• Like 19

I have never been a ride op but I do not see how on Earth The Beast could run a 4th train. Yeah it's a long ride, but it's not that long and at optimal running, there is one in the station, one on the first lift hill, and one on the second. Also, let's not forget that the train on the first lift hill cannot go until the one on the second lift hill has cleared, so IMO adding a fourth train would lead to constant stacking, creating more delays. With the final brake run only being able to hold two trains and The Beast already having a tendency to stack when people want to not clear out of the station quickly or large people attempting to cram themselves in when they know they won't fit, to me it seems adding a fourth train would only cause problems. It seems to me that problem would mean having to stop a train on the second lift hill, thus just creating panic in some and a whole new set of problems. Again, I am no expert, but that's just the way I see things.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Anyone who uses characters other than letters in their name should be required to fully pronounce the name of that character when saying their name.

jcgoble3, who is aware that this post is totally off-topic but can't resist posting it anyway

You totally got that from Glee, didn't you?

That is one of my favorite lines from Principal Figgins.

"Performing 'Tic and also Tok' by rapper Key-dollar-sign-ha."

Okay, resume Banshee related things... :D

• Like 2

You totally got that from Glee, didn't you?

Actually, nope. I got it off of the internet a long time ago. I think it was a Facebook post. I have never watched even a second of Glee and don't even know what it's about. :)

• Like 6

^I read a post somewhere on KIC that mentioned the same setup on Beast will most likely be used on Banshee, with the extra-long break run acting as MCBR.

The Beast's brake run is as long as it is because the ride was built to run four trains. I don't know if it ever opened with four trains, but at very least I believe that it ran with four at some point while it was testing. While The Beast lacks an MCBR, it has its second lift which can be used to serve the same purpose.

I believe the brake shed between the "airtime" hill and the second tunnel used to be a set of block brakes. Of course, they're just trims now.

I rode The Beast a few hundred times in the late '80s and early '90s. Most of the time, I remember that a train dropped down the first hill BEFORE we crested the second lift (and therefore passed underneath us). If that is true, then the brake shed in question must have been able to fully stop a train, since there was nothing else to stop that train from joining us on the second lift.

I wonder if anyone here has ever been fully stopped on that brake shed, and how the subsequent ride to the second lift was. At least once I was on Vortex when it fully stopped on the midcourse brakes. When we were finally released, we crawled through the corkscrew, and the hangtime was amazing!

Finally, remember that The Beast was designed for (and operated with for over a decade) single position bars instead of the current orange ratcheting lap bars. Those single position bars were faster to check and dispatch.

• Like 5