Banshee Construction Progress

IndyGuy4KI

Deer are funny about noises...especially in more rural areas. I've hunted pretty much my whole life (mostly in SE Ohio) and have seen deer just stand and watch as a tractor or quad rolls by, sometimes close enough for the driver/rider to reach out and touch them.

Now, roll up to those same deer on that quad and shut it off...they'll bolt for sure. It's a perceived threat at that point for some reason.

I've always looked, but never have seen deer around the track on Beast. It would surely be a bit of a mess if they decided to take on a coaster train...wonder if KI has thought of this?

Yes KI has thought of the possibility of deer being on the track. The trains for The Beast all have deer whistles on them to hopefully scare the deer into moving

I don't know if those deer whistles work to keep deer off the track, but I do know they don't do squat to keep hawks from landing on the track just prior to impact.

Eeeewwww...is this something you learned from personal experience? That would ruin your day for sure!

All I can think of right now is Fabio's bloodied gob... :unsure:

• Like 2

Deer are funny about noises...especially in more rural areas. I've hunted pretty much my whole life (mostly in SE Ohio) and have seen deer just stand and watch as a tractor or quad rolls by, sometimes close enough for the driver/rider to reach out and touch them.

Now, roll up to those same deer on that quad and shut it off...they'll bolt for sure. It's a perceived threat at that point for some reason.

I've always looked, but never have seen deer around the track on Beast. It would surely be a bit of a mess if they decided to take on a coaster train...wonder if KI has thought of this?

Yes KI has thought of the possibility of deer being on the track. The trains for The Beast all have deer whistles on them to hopefully scare the deer into moving

I don't know if those deer whistles work to keep deer off the track, but I do know they don't do squat to keep hawks from landing on the track just prior to impact.

Eeeewwww...is this something you learned from personal experience? That would ruin your day for sure!

All I can think of right now is Fabio's bloodied gob... :unsure:

yes, it was a few months ago (August maybe) my son was in the 2nd row, first car of The Beast, along w/ my niece, I was riding alone in the 3rd row of the first car. As we came out of the double helix and started to go down the final dip before the break run a hawk flew onto the track on the hill going up into the break run. I was "sure" the hawk was going to fly right away, but there must have been a mouse or something that he had his concentration on. I don't know how long it takes to go down that final hill and back up again into the break run, probably a second or two, but it felt like we were going in slow motion. Since there was no way I could reach ahead and protect my son in any manner, due to be locked into the ride, I kind of ducked my head as we made contact, so I didn't really see it. While sitting in the break run, I asked the people in the 1st row if we actually hit the hawk, which they confirmed we did. I wasn't sure how many people on the train saw this unfold, but once back in the station, once the lap bars were released, about half of the train, maybe more came running up to the front to see if there were any remains of the hawk. I guess The Beast got a clean shot and it bounced off to the side as no remains we plasted on the front of the train. I still can't believe that bird didn't fly away, it was a decent sized hawk.

• Like 7

Only thing I'm worried about with the AZ interaction is stupid guests and their stupid loose articles...

I feel it will be slightly problematic..Rides interacting with midways always seem to cause problems of some nature :P

Maybe they will put up a net like they did with Diamondback :) I always love looking up at the net to see what kind of items are up there lol

The worst ride interaction w/ midways were Dragster, PT, Corkscrew, and Raptor. Haven't heard horror stories for GK yet but I bet theres a few face palms..

PT is probably my most annoying, dropping coins off of it irk me so much.

Dragster could be downright deadly, I've seen phones drop and just shatter when they hit concrete, rare but happens. Thankfully there's a good bit of grass at the tower base

• Like 2

Gatekeeper is very strict about loose articles. Large items have to go in a locker, hats and smaller items go in a bin. If sunglasses are not secured with a strap they go in a bin. People at CP also seemed smarter than those at KI lol

• Like 2

If you look at the renderings, there doesn't seem to be much of the ride hanging out over the AZ midway. There's a small corner of the midway that will tuck in between the legs of the outermost support of the dive loop. if you stand there to watch, the train is coming almost vertically down above you.

I could be mistaken, but I would think that anything loose would fall before that (because you're completely upside down), or after that (as you pull g's out of the dive loop).

Either way, you're not over the midway when it happens.

• Like 2

The worst ride interaction w/ midways were Dragster, PT, Corkscrew, and Raptor. Haven't heard horror stories for GK yet but I bet theres a few face palms..

PT is probably my most annoying, dropping coins off of it irk me so much.

Dragster could be downright deadly, I've seen phones drop and just shatter when they hit concrete, rare but happens. Thankfully there's a good bit of grass at the tower base

What's PT?

• Like 1

If you look at the renderings, there doesn't seem to be much of the ride hanging out over the AZ midway. There's a small corner of the midway that will tuck in between the legs of the outermost support of the dive loop. if you stand there to watch, the train is coming almost vertically down above you.

I could be mistaken, but I would think that anything loose would fall before that (because you're completely upside down), or after that (as you pull g's out of the dive loop).

Either way, you're not over the midway when it happens.

But as you flip over for the dive loop, you will be going towards the midway so objects lost at that point should continue their forward motion and fly that way. There is also the intentional factor as riders could throw things at that point. That happened at Islands of Adventure on Dueling Dragons/Dragon challenge and they stopped "dueling" the two rides because of objects from one train hitting riders on the other train.

My guess is we will see a net at that point of the ride sooner or later.

• Like 2

Only thing I'm worried about with the AZ interaction is stupid guests and their stupid loose articles...

I feel it will be slightly problematic..Rides interacting with midways always seem to cause problems of some nature :P

My wife and I witnessed a phone being ejected from the loop on the return run for Invertigo. It flew from the loop (not the cobra roll) all the way over the pathway and into the pool for Congo Falls. It was amazing to see the phone fly through the air like that. We were also glad it didn't hit us or anyone else for that matter.

• Like 2

^Good point...hadn't thought of the forward motion (duh). I wonder how fast you'll be traveling at that point (at the top of the dive loop)...maybe they could cut the midway back a bit taking all these factors into consideration?

As for folks throwing things: put the ride photo cameras there. Should discourage such behavior I would think...and it would be a decent place for it anyway IMO.

I certainly hope there's no net put up. I think it would be a bit ugly there.

• Like 1

^Good point...hadn't thought of the forward motion (duh). I wonder how fast you'll be traveling at that point (at the top of the dive loop)...maybe they could cut the midway back a bit taking all these factors into consideration?

As for folks throwing things: put the ride photo cameras there. Should discourage such behavior I would think...and it would be a decent place for it anyway IMO.

I certainly hope there's no net put up. I think it would be a bit ugly there.

i.e. Alpengiest's Immelmann

Gatekeeper is strict...

But there are stupid people who try to record the ride. A good few are successful, I will say this crew is like Gemini, they are on it this year. I will say CP is way stricter for that stuff than KI...KI kids were taking pics on the lift hill during a group meetup for a night ride on beast, wasn't even stopped for some reason..

• Like 4

Hi, new here. I've been a lurker for quite some time but Banshee was that final push I needed to motivate myself to register. I'm Jarrett, I live an hour away from Kings Island (though haven't managed to get down much since I'm a new driver and can't drive that far just yet), and I've been virtually stalking that webcam. I feel like Banshee's definitely going to completely redefine crowd distribution at Kings Island. I feel like while both The Beast and Diamondback are amazing rides, they aren't very repeatable. Your first ride on Diamondback is great, but throughout the day you start enjoying it a bit less. The Beast can get better as the track warms up throughout the day (especially after a rainstorm when the forest is misty and humid) and it's my favorite wooden coaster, but like Diamondback, it gets stale pretty quickly. I feel like Banshee's going to not only be as awesome the tenth time you ride it that day as the first, but it'll be the best ride at the park. Action Zone's been slowly declining in attendance since Son of Beast's demise, and I think it'll be as crowded as it once was with Banshee's opening.

About Gatekeeper, the thing that I don't like about it is the fact that you have to buy a locker for your bag. It's bad enough you do it with Dragster and Millennium, but I understand, sort of, since both have double stations. Gatekeeper doesn't and Wild Eagle has cubbies, why can't Gatekeeper? If loose articles are that much of a problem, they should provide them.

Also, this'll be my first media day/opening day (whenever I decide to ride it), how do you get into a media day? Can this site do it or do you need to be part of something like ACE or TPR? Sorry for the question if people don't normally do things like that here.

I feel like that dive loop will be pretty intense, though, looking at support placement. That's going to look extremely menacing towering over the midway!

• Like 7

Hi, new here. I've been a lurker for quite some time but Banshee was that final push I needed to motivate myself to register. I'm Jarrett, I live an hour away from Kings Island (though haven't managed to get down much since I'm a new driver and can't drive that far just yet), and I've been virtually stalking that webcam. I feel like Banshee's definitely going to completely redefine crowd distribution at Kings Island. I feel like while both The Beast and Diamondback are amazing rides, they aren't very repeatable. Your first ride on Diamondback is great, but throughout the day you start enjoying it a bit less. The Beast can get better as the track warms up throughout the day (especially after a rainstorm when the forest is misty and humid) and it's my favorite wooden coaster, but like Diamondback, it gets stale pretty quickly. I feel like Banshee's going to not only be as awesome the tenth time you ride it that day as the first, but it'll be the best ride at the park. Action Zone's been slowly declining in attendance since Son of Beast's demise, and I think it'll be as crowded as it once was with Banshee's opening.

About Gatekeeper, the thing that I don't like about it is the fact that you have to buy a locker for your bag. It's bad enough you do it with Dragster and Millennium, but I understand, sort of, since both have double stations. Gatekeeper doesn't and Wild Eagle has cubbies, why can't Gatekeeper? If loose articles are that much of a problem, they should provide them.

Also, this'll be my first media day/opening day (whenever I decide to ride it), how do you get into a media day? Can this site do it or do you need to be part of something like ACE or TPR? Sorry for the question if people don't normally do things like that here.

I feel like that dive loop will be pretty intense, though, looking at support placement. That's going to look extremely menacing towering over the midway!

Welcome to the site. I believe in order to attended a media event you have to be invited by the park or win tickets ect. You can't just show up with your season pass and attend. I hope that helps.