Flight Deck to become the Bat?

canobie#1

So on screamscape, there have been reports of the FD symbols being removed. This brought up the idea of The Bat to be returning but as the old Flight Deck. Any thoughts?

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

From Lance:

icon_STOP.gif2014 - The Bat or The Banshee / New Coaster - Rumor - (8/8/13) One more day to go until we find out what’s going on with all this Bat and Banshee business at Kings Island. That said… I’ve heard that CoasterForce has posted a report claiming that the Flight Deck logos have apparently been removed from the trains.
What does this have to do with anything? Well, I’m not buying all this ‘The Bat’ stuff Kings Island has been spewing from the social media channels ever since the blueprints leaked out last week. It’s too obvious and while a Bat logo and temporary webpages (with no real info) were leaked online very briefly… the timing of it all is just way too perfect. Something stinks here… and I think it’s The Bat. The new Bat logo looked a little rough and rushed… and more like a throwback to an ‘80s style ride logo. Which The Bat was… and may be again…
I wont take credit for this idea, as it was posted by a CoasterForce reader, but it makes perfect sense. If Kings Island is intending to revive The Bat name, why not rename Flight Deck as The Bat? This will work especially well being placed next to The Banshee. Plus, lets face it, once Kings Island lost the Top Gun name and changed it to Flight Deck, I’m sure virtually all merchandise sales came to a stand-still. Going with a fun creatures of the night theme for the coasters on this side of the park is a sure way to drive up merchandise sales, plus what longtime Kings Island fan wouldn’t jump at the chance to own some fun throw-back merchandise featuring The Bat once again? Now that I think about it… I can’t figure out why Kings Island didn’t just change the name to The Bat way back when they first lost the Top Gun branding. Flight Deck… what was Kinzel thinking?

• Like 1

no reason to speculate based on the stickers being removed, but it is an awesome idea, one I had myself years ago. Flight Deck is a great little coaster but has a horrible name and there is not much left of the original aircraft theming anyway. Paint that baby black and red, put some bat heads on the front of the cars (stickers even) and a retheme of the station. Instantly a ton cooler.

• Like 4

When I was on "Top Gun" (sorry, I refuse to refer to it by that generic rebrand) a few weeks ago I was thinking that CF would do well to go back to the original (rumored, anyway) name of that coaster when planned by KECO--"Swoop". I figured with the mature tree growth back in that area now, a bird theme would fit well. (Plus, the whole sort of failed attempt at fighter jet themeing just seems kind of sad now...)

However, I really like the idea of renaming it as "The Bat" even better...such a great homage to KI's history. Plus, if "Attraction 2014" has a scary/haunted theme, the new "Bat" would fit in perfectly within the same area.

Haven't a few parks done some sort of floorless train retrofit on their legacy Arrow suspendeds? I'm sure something like that wouldn't be in the CapEx budget for 2014 with the other new construction, but that's a pretty interesting idea...

• Like 1

Actually Flight Deck hasn't had the ride logo stickers on the front of the trains for several years. People were pealing them off while they were riding in the front seat. So that screamscape rumor don't mean a thing!

• Like 1

I think I should bring up that Cedar Fair really doesn't care that much for theming, I don't think they would invest very much money at all into a ride that does't boast a very high ridership to retheme it to something else.

Many of you bring up that we are under new management and such, but may I point your attention towards Cedar Points most recent attraction, Gatekeeper, I don't see much theming there.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see some awesome theming or "placement" but I'm not going to fall in love with that Idea but the reality is that isn't something we are likely to see after such a major investment in a new roller coaster right next to it.

I think I should bring up that Cedar Fair really doesn't care that much for theming, I don't think they would invest very much money at all into a ride that does't boast a very high ridership to retheme it to something else.

Many of you bring up that we are under new management and such, but may I point your attention towards Cedar Points most recent attraction, Gatekeeper, I don't see much theming there.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see some awesome theming or "placement" but I'm not going to fall in love with that Idea but the reality is that isn't something we are likely to see after such a major investment in a new roller coaster right next to it.

May I direct your attention to Knott's Berry Farm's log flume?
  • Like 1

May I direct your attention to Knott's Berry Farm's log flume?

And volcano blast coaster

I really like the idea of this! Formerly Top Gun will regain some popularity, a new paint job might be coming to the coaster and I can stop worrying about it being removed from the park!

If they paint it, it has to stick around. I mean look at King Cobra!

• Like 2

I really like the idea of this! Formerly Top Gun will regain some popularity, a new paint job might be coming to the coaster and I can stop worrying about it being removed from the park!

I don't get the refference. Are you trying to win the internet?

King Cobra was removed, not too long after a painting. That said, if they do a heavy re-theme, I don't see the ride going anywhere in the forseeable future.

It does look very, very sad now, even though it was painted only a few seasons ago.

• Like 2

The majority of the things screamscape says in above article (if not all things said) were pulled directly from discussion here. Some of which started out as a pipe dream/joke. I'm not saying that we are not a knowledgable group but I find it a bit odd that a "media outlet", that quite a few people take seriously, get all of their KI news from a big group of yahoos on a forum, haha. I've never considered screamscape reliable, but so many do it's a bit sad.

• Like 1

King Cobra was removed, not too long after a painting. That said, if they do a heavy re-theme, I don't see the ride going anywhere in the forseeable future.

It does look very, very sad now, even though it was painted only a few seasons ago.

Thank you for providing the information that I did not know in a friendly manner Bennett. :)

Thank you for providing the information that I did not know in a friendly manner Bennett. :)

Testy testy. All in good fun, kids. No reason to go underlinin' words to prove a point. Just having some fun.

And no, I wasn't trying to win the Internet.

Testy testy. All in good fun, kids. No reason to go underlinin' words to prove a point. Just having some fun.

And no, I wasn't trying to win the Internet.

You can't win it, I won the Internet yesterday.. :ph34r:

• Like 2