Flight Deck to become the Bat?

canobie#1

The Cedar Fair conference call was today and Matt Ouimet talked about how parks would be expanding. He mentioned Kings Island, then went on to say that parks would be seeing expanded family rides, water park expansions, revamping of classic attractions, and an "interactive, innovative dark ride that would set a new industry standard."

Flight Deck becoming The Bat would definitely be revamping of a classic attraction.

A Vortex refurbishment is looking positive too.

I think it will happen sooner or later.

I think I should bring up that Cedar Fair really doesn't care that much for theming, I don't think they would invest very much money at all into a ride that does't boast a very high ridership to retheme it to something else.

Many of you bring up that we are under new management and such, but may I point your attention towards Cedar Points most recent attraction, Gatekeeper, I don't see much theming there.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see some awesome theming or "placement" but I'm not going to fall in love with that Idea but the reality is that isn't something we are likely to see after such a major investment in a new roller coaster right next to it.

It seems like Banshee has a pretty good theme to it and we will see if they add the Fog effect with gravestones during the ride like it is in the animation. Seems as if the park is under new management so all that could be thrown out the window. Repainting a coaster and its station and giving it a new name could be an inexpensive way for next year's capital improvement while boosting 2015 attendance, souvenir sales, and ridership.

• Like 1

I think I should bring up that Cedar Fair really doesn't care that much for theming, I don't think they would invest very much money at all into a ride that does't boast a very high ridership to retheme it to something else.

Many of you bring up that we are under new management and such, but may I point your attention towards Cedar Points most recent attraction, Gatekeeper, I don't see much theming there.

Don't get me wrong I would love to see some awesome theming or "placement" but I'm not going to fall in love with that Idea but the reality is that isn't something we are likely to see after such a major investment in a new roller coaster right next to it.

It seems like Banshee has a pretty good theme to it and we will see if they add the Fog effect with gravestones during the ride like it is in the animation. Seems as if the park is under new management so all that could be thrown out the window. Repainting a coaster and its station and giving it a new name could be an inexpensive way for next year's capital improvement while boosting 2015 attendance, souvenir sales, and ridership.

You very well could be right, after seeing the renderings for Banshee some of my faith has been restored. I think we can see future additions we much better theming and placement. And you right maybe the retheming and refinishing the parks attractions could be a years budget and capitol investment.

And I could see the dark ride going to Cedar Point next year.

Whether or not CP gets a dark ride next year or Flight Deck becomes The Bat, I love what Ouimet has already done as well as his vision for the future. I believe he is the best thing that has ever happened to CF.

Personally I don't like the way things are going. Seems so much like paramount IMO. I don't see his plans for anything thrilling and exciting.

Whether or not CP gets a dark ride next year or Flight Deck becomes The Bat, I love what Ouimet has already done as well as his vision for the future. I believe he is the best thing that has ever happened to CF.

Personally I don't like the way things are going. Seems so much like paramount IMO. I don't see his plans for anything thrilling and exciting.

So what are Banshee and Gatekeeper, kiddie rides?

• Like 5

So on screamscape, there have been reports of the FD symbols being removed. This brought up the idea of The Bat to be returning but as the old Flight Deck. Any thoughts?

http://www.screamscape.com/html/kings_island.htm

From Lance:

icon_STOP.gif2014 - The Bat or The Banshee / New Coaster - Rumor - (8/8/13) One more day to go until we find out what’s going on with all this Bat and Banshee business at Kings Island. That said… I’ve heard that CoasterForce has posted a report claiming that the Flight Deck logos have apparently been removed from the trains.

What does this have to do with anything? Well, I’m not buying all this ‘The Bat’ stuff Kings Island has been spewing from the social media channels ever since the blueprints leaked out last week. It’s too obvious and while a Bat logo and temporary webpages (with no real info) were leaked online very briefly… the timing of it all is just way too perfect. Something stinks here… and I think it’s The Bat. The new Bat logo looked a little rough and rushed… and more like a throwback to an ‘80s style ride logo. Which The Bat was… and may be again…

I wont take credit for this idea, as it was posted by a CoasterForce reader, but it makes perfect sense. If Kings Island is intending to revive The Bat name, why not rename Flight Deck as The Bat? This will work especially well being placed next to The Banshee. Plus, lets face it, once Kings Island lost the Top Gun name and changed it to Flight Deck, I’m sure virtually all merchandise sales came to a stand-still. Going with a fun creatures of the night theme for the coasters on this side of the park is a sure way to drive up merchandise sales, plus what longtime Kings Island fan wouldn’t jump at the chance to own some fun throw-back merchandise featuring The Bat once again? Now that I think about it… I can’t figure out why Kings Island didn’t just change the name to The Bat way back when they first lost the Top Gun branding. Flight Deck… what was Kinzel thinking?

I doubt it, but it would be cool

I'm completely clueless why any of you would want or think KI would re-theme flightdeck to The Bat. Sounds like a waste of money that I would much rather see put toward a new attraction, just my thoughts.

Why not? It isn't very costly, it would compliment Banshee and it would bring more guests over to that area.

• Like 1

I'm completely clueless why any of you would want or think KI would re-theme flightdeck to The Bat. Sounds like a waste of money that I would much rather see put toward a new attraction, just my thoughts.

Why not? It isn't very costly, it would compliment Banshee and it would bring more guests over to that area.

It's not going to sell tickets, waste of money. Although I have seen people put rims on a pinto, I would rather CF spend their money more wisely.

I was around during the Bats life, would you want someone to re-name lets say Adventure Express the Son of Beast 30 years from now? Not happening, but do you get my point? I could live with The Bat being reborn as a wing coaster or something really cool but don't stamp The Bat label on Top Gun or now Flightdeck.

• Like 2

I was around during the Bats life, would you want someone to re-name lets say Adventure Express the Son of Beast 30 years from now? Not happening, but do you get my point? I could live with The Bat being reborn as a wing coaster or something really cool but don't stamp The Bat label on Top Gun or now Flightdeck.

If it's good for Adventure Express somehow then yes.

Bringing some life into that ride would be great, more of the GP would drift over that way more if they see something that they haven't noticed before. There are some really dumb guests who will think it's a totally different ride, but with some renovations and a nice coat of new paint, the old arrow will be back to life. This is a very reasonable plan, come 2015.

• Like 7

So what are Banshee and Gatekeeper, kiddie rides?

Those are not "thrilling" to him since they're not Intamin coasters. Did you forget about that, SonofBaconator? :D

• Like 3

olOf course you don't. Gee whiz. Frankly, I am shocked to see you, of all people, post something like this.
  • Like 4

I want flight deck to be flight deck. It's grey lack of theming, bland self just points to one thing that I always think about arrows. They may not he flashy to the general public or most enthusiasts..but they do deliver in terms or ride experiencence and that's all that matters. To bring a new name and theming for a ride just to compliment another ride is just lame and kinda distracting to do just to help another ride. Iron dragon didn't get changed to something else because top thrill dragster opened next door, and corkscrew didn't change for that matter either.

Each ride has their own personality. Keep it as such, and enjoy each rides individuality.

• Like 7