Please help settle an argument between my wife and I...

Stephen

The only thing I can recall as being a "Fast Pass" type deal is the separate line they had for Gold Pass holders on IJST/BLSC when it first opened. I don't recall any other rides having a skip the line option, I also don't remember the Gold Pass line being utilized very often.

Yeah, it wasn't all the time. Plus it wasn't like you could flash your pass and walk up the exit. In the past the park had a handful of guest services booths and you could stop by one and receive a special ticket to skip one of a small selection of rides, but you could only do it once per visit.

And it was a test for a Fast Lane type program. Kings Dominion tested it more extensively. Paramount Parks decided not to implement such a system. Cedar Point was testing Free Lane about the same time. It allowed a limited number of guests to get a pre-assigned ride time on one or both of two rides. You had to line up to get a handstamp with your assigned time for Millennium Force and/or whatever the second ride was that day.

A limited number of stamps was available foe each of rolling times throughout the day. Some guests abused the system and Free Lane soon was no more.

• Like 4

I'm so old I remember the ultimate fast queuing system--pay per ride. Lines were much, much shorter. Oddly, seldom were you allowed to pick your seat or wait for the front or back, even though you were paying by the ride. In many ways, premium queuing is just a way of getting a premium experience by rationing the most rides to those who pay the most.

• Like 4

I'm so old I remember the ultimate fast queuing system--pay per ride. Lines were much, much shorter. Oddly, seldom were you allowed to pick your seat or wait for the front or back, even though you were paying by the ride. In many ways, premium queuing is just a way of getting a premium experience by rationing the most rides to those who pay the most.

Amen to that! None of these yungins will ever remember having to......duh duh duh....pay for each ride!!???!!!

No matter how much Fastlane brings in moneywise it is simple a setup for a ride class system... and I expect there will be a ++ and +++ in our future.

• Like 1

There should be a Fast Lane season pass or give it to platinum pass holders on certain days, IMO.

That would defeat the purpose on many levels. It's not a lot different than saying the park should have Bring a Friend Free days. They learned that lesson.

Then again, I'd not be against a Fast Lane Season pass if it were offered for, say $3995. And no, I didn't leave out a decimal.

• Like 4

In 2005, gold pass holders could get a ticket, which had a time on it, to skip the line of Italian Job (which is now the Fast Lane line). I also remember in the early 2000's they had double rides set up on a few rides where they had select rows on rides marked for pass holders to use that option.

And it was a test for a Fast Lane type program. Kings Dominion tested it more extensively. Paramount Parks decided not to implement such a system. Cedar Point was testing Free Lane about the same time. It allowed a limited number of guests to get a pre-assigned ride time on one or both of two rides. You had to line up to get a handstamp with your assigned time for Millennium Force and/or whatever the second ride was that day.

A limited number of stamps was available foe each of rolling times throughout the day. Some guests abused the system and Free Lane soon was no more.

Is that the same as freeway?

At Dollywood they could easily charge for the shows. Their Q-Bots are primarily used for premium seating at said shows.

That's exactly why we get the Q-bot every time for our yearly visit to Dollywood's Smoky Mountain Christmas. The lines for shows can get insanely long, so it's very nice to be able to reserve a seat ahead of time. Their shows, particularly their Christmas ones, are excellent and worth the five hour drive down there.

Typically the rides have short lines when we go in November, and the Q-Bot's not really needed for that, so it's just a nice bonus to have to see the wait times and reserve a spot for a ride that's on the other side of the park, just in case!

I can't wait to see what they do with "A Christmas Carol" this year. We loved "Babes in Toyland", and the ice show was a poor replacement for that.

• Like 1