Diamondback restraint thoughts

ProdigyRider

The ride-op on Sea Dragon stood next to the train and gave us the quote " Hands up or down but not sideways". Then he proceeded to manually operate the ride, times sure have changed, at least for most places.

About the whole hands up situation, I remember Hersheypark having signs saying that you have to hold on to the grab bars??? And about the whole Diamondback restraint system, i think y'all are just in the middle of clicks and when you go down a hill the restraint goes back up like a millimeter because its inbetween the clicks... Its normal.

• Like 12

• 8 months later...

might have saved someones life. Hope it doesnt affect the ride.

Except B&M hyper coasters have existed for 15 years and have had 0 ejections. It feels more like a knee-jerk reaction to the public's reaction over the New Texas Giant incident more than anything else.

• Like 14

I doubt it will hinder the ride experience that much at all.

Tell that to some of the enthusiasts furiously spamming Facebook comments about how the belts will slash capacity times and diminish airtime. Speaking of which:

TvEFKcY.png

My anger towards this is....forget it. Not even gonna go there.

• Like 8

Airtime is why I love Diamondback if it hurts airtime, that will be awfull. Why didnt they do like Flight of Fear and attach the seatbelt to the restraint and not the rider. IDK after seeing the picure it upsets me more than it did at first.

might have saved someones life. Hope it doesnt affect the ride.

Except B&M hyper coasters have existed for 15 years and have had 0 ejections. It feels more like a knee-jerk reaction to the public's reaction over the New Texas Giant incident more than anything else.

+1. Completely redundant and totally unnecessary. They'll probably be removed eventually, but say adios to a good chunk of capacity until they're removed.
  • Like 10

Just got back they dont hamper much of the ride experience except you do not have as much airtime. I heard the operator say "there are now seatbelts on Diamondback for the first train" and I was like is this a dream? It's real. :mellow:

I really would like to know what their reasoning is. It didn't seem that the Texas incident stopped anyone from riding DB before. It just seems so random, like , "Hey, we should just randomly add seat-belts to Diamondback!"

*(I realize that's most likely not the case. I'm just expressing how unnecessary this is.)

• Like 1

^^We don't have a RIGHT to know anything. If the park chooses to reveal such information to us, it would be a privilege. I don't think they will, and that's their right. All we know is, Diamondback has seatbelts, and I think it's a safe assumption that they aren't going anywhere.

Then again, two seasons ago, I would have assumed that the seatbelts on Backlot Stunt Coaster and (what was then) Flight Deck were here to stay as well.

• Like 4

We don't have a RIGHT to know anything. If the park chooses to reveal such information to us, it would be a privilege. I don't think they will, and that's their right.

I don't think it's in Kings Island's best interest to say anything about this situation publicly. They could position it positively as a "this is just for extra safety" statement, but I really don't see the value in opening themselves up to questions about any of their previous safety policies. It's Pandora's box waiting to be opened.

I believe Diamondback will be giving its 10 millionth ride sometime this season. B&M hypers have probably given - conservatively - at least 100 million rides worldwide. To silver2005's point earlier, how many incidents involving the failure of restraints have we seen on B&M hypers? Zero. Anyone who has ever seen the inner workings of a B&M restraint knows that the odds of any of their restraints failing is so close to zero it may as well be zero. I'm sure B&M's safety record is a big reason why Cedar Fair continues to go to them to design their coasters.

This is just an educated opinion, but I don't believe the seatbelts on Diamondback are primarily there for safety reasons, even though that's that reason most people buy in to. I believe the belts are there to simply make sure that the rider - specifically those with larger lower body proportions - fits in the seat. If the belt doesn't buckle then there's no need to deal with the primary restraint.

Would anyone here ride Diamondback with the restraint up with the seat belt only restraining you? Probably not right? Just food for thought for those of you who believe that seat belt only would somehow be an effective way to restrain you in the VERY unlikely event of a restraint problem.

• Like 7