Kings Island Announces The World's Longest Inverted Coaster for 2014!

I'm excited, do I wish it was a bit taller and faster and probably more intense, of course and that's how it always will be. Being an enthusiast we will always want more, that's a given. For what we have though, I'm more than impressed. I will say though there are many questions I have though about the ride I'd like to have the answer to

• Like 1

I do agree that I wish it broke more records, not because I think it would make the experience any better, but I just don't think a lot of people will give it a chance because all the General Public typically sees is statistics. I've heard a LOT of people say Banshee looks like a Raptor ripoff. I've ridden Raptor, and I think Banshee looks MUCH better.

Heck, Afterburn is currently my number 3 favorite steel coaster, and I think Banshee will top it. Banshee MAY even top out Vortex in my list, but let's not get carried away too soon.

Records schmecords.

The ride experience matters much more.

While I agree personally, I don't think the General Public feels that way. If that were true in most people's minds, TTD would NOT have hour plus waits on weekdays.
Top Thrill Dragster holds no records anymore.
  • Like 6

This looks great, im really satisfied with it so far. Going along with the Gatekeeper resistants, they really hurt me, dug into my collar bone. I find it funny how again, in the animated pictures, Banshee has big bushes and trees around it like Diamondbacks pictures did. Although, they were just in a photo shoppers head *sigh*. I really, really like the station. It goes along with the theme well and it really stands out.

OK, fine. Replace TTD with Kingda Ka in my statement. I kinda think it still stands.

And either way, TTD and Kingda Ka have impressive statistics, and, at least in my opinion, nothing else.

Actually in the case of both, I think the ride experience trumps any records. The first time I rode Top Thrill, I came off trembling. I'd never done that on any other coaster. The launch is unbelievably powerful, and impressive.

Kingda Ka is bigger. According to you, I'd guess, the record would make it better. As much as I love Great Advencha and Ka, TTD's launch is far more impressive.

And at CP, Millennium Force still draws longer lines than TTD on a typical Saturday. At Great Advencha, Nitro and El Toro both draw more on a typical Saturday.

Records schmecords. The ride experience trumps records.

• Like 4

OK, fine. Replace TTD with Kingda Ka in my statement. I kinda think it still stands.

And either way, TTD and Kingda Ka have impressive statistics, and, at least in my opinion, nothing else.

Actually in the case of both, I think the ride experience trumps any records. The first time I rode Top Thrill, I came off trembling. I'd never done that on any other coaster. The launch is unbelievably powerful, and impressive.

Kingda Ka is bigger. According to you, I'd guess, the record would make it better. As much as I love Great Advencha and Ka, TTD's launch is far more impressive.

And at CP, Millennium Force still draws longer lines than TTD on a typical Saturday. At Great Advencha, Nitro and El Toro both draw more on a typical Saturday.

Records schmecords. The ride experience trumps records.

I never said that I would like it better due to records. But records and statistics are undeniably marketable, and to most people in the general public, matter a lot. Go to someone who isn't an enthusiast and tell them that Banshee has a Zero-g roll. Then tell them it holds the record for longest inverted roller coaster. I have a good idea which one of those they'll remember.

If records mattered to me, Magnum wouldn't be my all-time favorite steel coaster when there are two coasters that have much more impressive statistics at the same park.

Now, for what it's worth, Ka does seem better than TTD, but because it has a nice airtime hill after the top hat, not because it's (slightly) taller and faster.

I will again add emphasis that I'm NOT saying that I think records matter for me. Banshee is the coaster of my dreams, and I will enjoy it either way. But I don't think it's going to draw people from Northern Ohio to KI, because on paper, it doesn't look that much more impressive than Raptor to a non-enthusiast.

• Like 4

I agree with homer.

I am leery of marketing a ride as being a fun ride. To me that sounds like it will be forceless like Gatekeeper.

YoungStud, I had a similar fear early on but now knowing that the ride is going to reach top speed later in the ride It could be B&M's step in a better direction for the more forceful rides it used to make.

• Like 2

That last helix looks insane.

The final helix was my favorite part of Raptor, and it will undoubtedly be my favorite with this one. I also really like how all of the inversions are tastefully done and don't at all seem forced. That last in-line twist will be very, very interesting. It is decently slow enough to give you that "whoa!" feeling, but not annoyingly slow like Gatekeeper's first inversion. I do believe this will be a nice, forceful B&M.

• Like 4

I agree with homer.

I am leery of marketing a ride as being a fun ride. To me that sounds like it will be forceless like Gatekeeper.

YoungStud, I had a similar fear early on but now knowing that the ride is going to reach top speed later in the ride It could be B&M's step in a better direction for the more forceful rides it used to make.

I had the same, but look at the size of the elements. The bigger the elements the less force. Look at how large the batwing is compared to montu's.

I agree with homer.

I had the same, but look at the size of the elements. The bigger the elements the less force. Look at how large the batwing is compared to montu's.
But look how fast you fly through all the inversions. That should make up for how large the inversions are.
  • Like 2

I agree with homer.

we'll just have to wait and see but remember at that point in the ride it will be at its top speed
  • Like 1

Homestar92, have you ridden Kingda Ka? If not, it is my sad duty to inform you there is no airtime on that so-called airtime hill.

A great exame that animation and stats don't make a ride. There should be air on that hill. For me, at least, there is not.

No, I haven't. That's why I played it safe by saying that it seems better instead of saying that it is, lol. I am disappointed to hear that the airtime hill lacks airtime. It probably wouldn't do much more for me than Dragster did. Which was honestly not too much. Dragster was very, very FUN. But I found that there are other rides at Cedar Point and other parks that are much more fun.

I think Dragster is the very definition of FUN, at least the way FUN was defined under Kinzel. I think Ouimet's idea of FUN is different, and better.

• Like 3