Suggestions For the Site

Dan

If something gets off topic but still relates to PKI, then don't close it. You guys remember we had a thread about Octoberfest and it turned into a really interesting conversation about the International Resteraunt and they closed it. I was a little mad about that. Just use your best judgement and learn from others' mistakes.

The site does look great. Make sure you guys are spreading the word!

p.s. Was this site something that you guys came up with when Aaron closed PKIU, or has it been something that you've been working on and decided to launch it due to the event listed above?

I'd say for starters, reprimand people when they verbally attack others. A says something bad about B. Then B strikes back. Then A strikes back. Then C comes in on As part and D comes in on Bs part. If verbal venom throwers are stopped immediately - the bad blood and insults won't escalate.

Additionally, I'd say have some PKI related fictional stories, commentaries, and pictures submitted by park fans.

If you find someone with enough time and imagination, perhaps a PKI roll playing game.

Just a few thoughts. The site is nice so far.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

:chef:

If something gets off topic but still relates to PKI, then don't close it. You guys remember we had a thread about Octoberfest and it turned into a really interesting conversation about the International Resteraunt and they closed it. I was a little mad about that. Just use your best judgement and learn from others' mistakes.

The site does look great. Make sure you guys are spreading the word!

p.s. Was this site something that you guys came up with when Aaron closed PKIU, or has it been something that you've been working on and decided to launch it due to the event listed above?

First off, I do think that PKIUnlimited will make a comeback and have the utmost respect for Aaron. He is a brilliant young man who deserves great credit for his site and getting his quote on the front cover of a newspaper at such a young age.

Therefore, the following statements do NOT apply to Aaron but to SOME of the moderators.

1. Too often a topic would be closed for the reason "we already discussed it FOUR SCORE AND SEVEN YEARS AGO". Okay, I'm being sarcastic, but you get my point. Many times a new person will bring up a topic discussed weeks or months earlier and it was shut because the topic existed before.

2. The moderators didn't make much attempt to reprimand people from making personal attacks on each other. And one or two of them actually made many of these personal attacks towards others - which is why Aaron had to step in and call for a time out.

I guess basically, I'd say try to foster an environment in which no one will feel personally bashed because of their opinions or statement. It is very possible to criticize a person's idea (eg. I think PKI should serve chocolate covered ants instead of pizza) without attacking the person directly. This is a tough task.

I wish you the best of luck. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

sorry chef i didnt meen harm i like your book thought it was great im just want to start another fight sorry, I hve the utmost respect for you. I was just saying it as a joke becouse i was kind of following a trend. Saying somthing before I think is a problem of mine and I am trying to fix it.

Chris,

You're human just like me. I've stuck my foot in my mouth more times than I care to admit - and my feet don't taste very good. :D

I can see from your comments that you are a kind person and there are no hard feelings on my part. All I want to post in happy environment - and from what I can see, you are trying to foster one.

Have a great weekend!

Italian Chef

So far these forums are proceeding smoothly. I have yet to witness any major catastrophies. However, I am waiting for a moderator to close someone's topic and state:

"Four score and seven years ago this topic was discussed. Hence, we cannot have a separate thread for it as an unofficial PKI fan page divided amongst itself cannot stand. In the interest of preserving the union, we must close this thread."

Those of you who are history buffs like me can appreciate the humor in that.

Have a like totally groovy day!

Italian Chef

Probably because they delete soooo many threads, there are massive holes in the MYSQL Database, which would cause script errors, and database errors.

Deleting threads, while annoying, would not create the errors which I was getting. I was getting errors saying this like "Error: semicolon expected" which means that the core programming was just not every well done. It's a very amiture error to have. I don't know how much coding you have control over when using MYSQL, but if you do have control, you're doing it right.

Probably because they delete soooo many threads, there are massive holes in the MYSQL Database, which would cause script errors, and database errors.

Deleting threads, while annoying, would not create the errors which I was getting. I was getting errors saying this like "Error: semicolon expected" which means that the core programming was just not every well done. It's a very amiture error to have. I don't know how much coding you have control over when using MYSQL, but if you do have control, you're doing it right.

Perhaps... And you're probably right.

However, deleting threads can ruin a site. You can access your sql if you have access to Root on the webserver.

A problem that we had on the other site was the mods closing a thread because it had already been discussed. If it was discussed a long time ago, I wouldn't even worry about it, but if it's on the same page, close it, but include a link to the thread. That would make everything a lot more user friendly and won't seem so rude.

Also, as I said before, don't close topics because they're off topic.. I mean, if it turns from "How tall is the Eiffel Tower?" to "Backstreet Boys suck and Limp Bizkit rules!" then I would understand, but if it goes from "How tall is the Eiffel Tower?" to...I don't know.. "If they were to paint the Eiffel Tower another color, what would it be?" then I really don't see a reason to close it. Too many interesting threads were destroyed elsewhere because they thought they could maintain a board of threads about the exact same subject.. there just isn't that much to say about one thing. I don't know how many of you have engaged in a conversation in the past few weeks, but they have a tendancy to drift to different ideas. :D

Also, I think the mods should have a no BS policy about attacking people. I mean, if someone says something that is totally wrong, and people correct him or her, then that's great, but if someone says something wrong and the next thread starts with the phrase "You obviously don't know anything..." or "You're an idiot" than the mods should PM the person and give them a warning, and they're going to be the bad apple of the board after that, then it's time that you step in and ban them. Pretty much the only way to get banned from Unlimited was to use foul language, and that really didn't create a healthy community.

I think the main idea that we must keep in mind is that we're working together on this site. It's the mods jobs to keep everything in order, but it's our reponsibility to make it as easy as possible on them.

I have already suggested things for the mods, so here are my suggestions for everyone else:

1. If you think you may have crossed the line, then you probably did.

2. Read over your posts. Do they make sense? Is your intention to make a point or to insult someone else?

3. Do your best to post under the proper headings.

4. Do your best to keep things on topic.

5. If someone says something that is totally wrong, it's not because they're stupid or naive, they're probably misinformed.

6. Don't say "This is off topic, this should be closed" -- it not your job to do that. Let the mods do their jobs and you just be as civil as possible.

7. If someone does insult you, don't insult them back. Respond to what they have to say in a non-threatning manner. No matter what, you'll look like the smart one of the two.

8. This is the most important one: We're here to have fun! We should be united with our love of PKI! Things are doing great now, so let's keep it that way

I really think that a PKI role playing game would greatly enhance this site. Since I'm sure there are many talented, young folks on this site...one of you may wish to embark upon this endeavor.

I'd love to, but between my full-time job, my enhanced house chore-load and baby preparations (as my wife is expecting), my writings, my volunteer marketing activities for my favorite restaurant, visiting PKI, and so on......I'm too busy. Sorry. :(

So, any young thinkers have any groovy ideas for a PKI role playing game???

Sincerely,

Italian Chef

In other words.. we won't be seeing it... ever.

If you know there could be a possible delay putting a new website up, don't hype it up. It just ends up making everyone mad. And it certinely has done that on .. erhmm.. Another site I know of.