Action Zone

SonofBaconator

It started off as just an empty area with trees and grass. Not even an original section, this area first debuted as Lion Country Safari with a monorail that you rode past many wild animals. Then it became Wild Animal Habitat, featuring the two new roller coasters: Screamin' Demon and King Kobra. In '87, Screamin' Demon left to make room for Amazon Falls which was later renamed Congo Falls under Paramont's ownership. With the addition of Top Gun in 1993 and the subtraction of Wild Habitat, Paramont's Kings Island renamed the area Adventure Village. And then came Xtreme Skyflyer in 95 fallowed by XS Raceway in 96. Paramount later renamed the section, Action Zone in '99 which mimicked a movie set featuring a coaster and a flat ride: Faceoff and Drop Zone: Stunt Tower. The abundance of land left over from Wild Habitat provided Kings Island with many opportunities for a new attraction. In 2000, Son of Beast debuted being the tallest, fastest, and only looping coaster in the world. In 2003 Delerium replaced King Cobra. Now under new ownership, Cedar Fair has done their best to change the Paramount factor of the park . With the renaming of all the movie themed attractions, they focused their attention on Rivertown by adding Diamondback in 2009 which was also the last year Son of Beast ran until it was later dismantled in 2012.

So we have been seeing many changes in Action Zone under Cedar Fair. First, the renaming of all the rides. In 2012, Invertigo got a new look, and Son of Beast and Thunder Alley were torn down for "park expansion." In the offseason, the water tower was sold to Jungle Jim's. With the reveal on our new record-breaking B&M Invert, Banshee, we are starting to see the Paramount in Kings Island die off.

With all the changes over the years, what should we expect from this historical section in years to come?

• Like 12

Invertigo and Banshee are painted in jewel tone hues, colors that usually depict fantasy. I think the primary color pallet is now leaving, and the harsh 'Action' theme is going for good.

Looking at what's being done so far, I wonder if it won't have a more Swords and Sorcery look in the future.

• Like 4

It was pretty obvious Action Zone would be getting a face lift once Invertigo got a new color scheme, the tower was removed, and Son of Beast/Thunder Alley were both taken out. I would like to see the rest of AZ remodeled to go along with Banshee. I like the idea of AZ being the "most thrilling part of the park." Here is what I would love to see changed this off season.

Invertigo: The sign painted to match the ride.

Congo Falls: Possibly a rename and maybe a few minor updates such as paint and landscaping. Honestly though, who knows how much longer Congo Falls will even be around, so it may be wasteful to invest into a ride with a short life ahead.

Delirium: It needs to be repainted bad. Stick with the same colors, but brighten it up.

Drop Tower: This for sure needs a new name, probably something to go along with a scary theme (Hellevator?) I personally like the paint job, but I would be open to giving it a new color scheme.

Xtreme Skyflyer: The name can stay, but I would love to add lighting in the actual structure similar to what Fun Spot recently did.

Flight Deck: I am on board with renaming it The Bat and giving it a new paint job along with adding a little theme to it.

As for the actual buildings (restrooms, gift shops, and restaurants) the ones closest to Banshee and The Bat would be remodeled to look like Banshee's station. As for the other buildings, maybe a darker less red/yellow/blue paint job would be better.

And lastly, not only would the midway be remade with pavers, but it definitely needs more landscaping. Throughout the new Action Zone, but especially towards Banshee and The Bat I would add many trees along the midway and in planters to give the area a haunted forest theme.

• Like 10

I would like to see Action Zone go through a total retheme not changing any of the rides names, but why do we still have Stunt Crew Grill, and On Location, etc... It just don't seem to fit anymore. Maybe this will happen before April of 2014! Only time will tell!

• Like 3

Drop Tower: This for sure needs a new name, probably something to go along with a scary theme (Hellevator?)

I really hope you're joking. That is the last name anyone would put on a Drop Tower, especially in this market!

I prefer Splat Zone.

• Like 1

Drop Tower: This for sure needs a new name, probably something to go along with a scary theme (Hellevator?)

I really hope you're joking. That is the last name anyone would put on a Drop Tower, especially in this market!

Hellevator was the original name of the Drop Tower that cut that girls feet off at kentucky kingdom.

• Like 3

Medieval Faire...with a village of shoppes. With a faux drawbridge entrance. The center of the square could be used for a circular stage show.

And have medieval games (like in the Capital One commercials...lol

My suggestions in another thread were:

Paint Delirium patina (copper and green) add a faux blade above the seats to look like the pendulum torture device and leave the name Delirium.

Leave Invertigo name alone and paint the sign.

Make Congo falls an indoor ride, maybe themed to some river legend

Place the lower third of the Drop Tower inside of a castle turret, Paint the tower in a castle stone mosaic.

rename the flight deck to something medieval....The Bat would work just fine (with the cave mentioned in still another thread)

Oh....and stone pavers.....gotta love them.

• Like 8

I would love to see Action Zone get a whole new theme. I think that would definitely be in an off season when they are not adding a very expensive new roller coaster though. There aren't any kiddie rides in that section so why not go dark and spooky. Flight Deck becomes The Bat. Paint and sort of enclose the bottom half of Drop Tower and call it The Pit. Paint Delirium brown and silver and rename it The Pendulum. Darn these ideas that I like that nobody else would. Oh well there's always Roller Coaster Tycoon.

• Like 2

They need to give Delirium a different paint scheme. It reminds me of a preschool right now.

ar125979876455503.JPG

They should tear out the giant circle design where the water tower was and replace it with a huge planter area with trees and foliage. Then they should change the bathrooms and the gift shop's paint. Rename Stunt Crew Grill and paint it and make Flight Deck, The Bat

• Like 10

Is stunt crew grill even like an actual open restaurant? It looks so dark and lonely when you walk by and I've never seen anyone coming out or heard of anyone eating there. Everyone goes to Festhaus, the Jukebox, or one of the many other stands. Seriously... I bet they don't get much business in that place. If it's even open, Banshee and the likely AZ facelift should definitely breathe new life into the grill! Banshee burger, anyone?!

• Like 7

Is stunt crew grill even like an actual open restaurant? It looks so dark and lonely when you walk by and I've never seen anyone coming out or heard of anyone eating there. Everyone goes to Festhaus, the Jukebox, or one of the many other stands. Seriously... I bet they don't get much business in that place. If it's even open, Banshee and the likely AZ facelift should definitely breathe new life into the grill! Banshee burger, anyone?!

I rarely see it open. It can't compete with FestHaus anymore. I think it's mainly just there for the Haunt.

I kinda have mixed feelings about Congo Falls. I feel that if it is moved, it will be awkward. But then again, it just doesn't fit in.

Honestly I'd love to see it moved to Soak City. I know you don't get drenched on it but it would be nice to have a higher capacity thrill ride over there. Also if people are in their swim attire the bridge would be a very popular place.

• Like 3

I think a nice new Log flume, shoot the chute ride would be nice. Maybe over where the crypt build is.

Or even something to match the Banshee theming.

But preferably one that doesn't rollback and submerge guests for minutes at a time.

Would you accept this as a replacement? (you might want to mute the sound unless you want to hear useless commentary.)

• Like 3

I am loving all of these ideas! Perhaps they could just go back to Adventure Village, and have a more small settlement feel to it. They could redo the rides to have colonial/superstitious theming, which could tie into Banshee. And as with most on here, I would LOVE for Flight Deck to be renamed The Bat! An orange and black track would really stand out and define the ride.

• Like 3

In any case, Congo Falls is the only water ride on the Action Zone/Coney Mall side of International Street, and for that alone I don't see it going anywhere soon. Maybe it'll end up being replaced with another water ride at some point, but it seems like a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Like 2