Geauga Lake Documentary

I was there twice in 2002, when it was SFWoA. I remember decently sized crowds throughout the park, so I was shocked when it was sold to Cedar Fair for pennies on the dollar just a couple years later. The layout was far from ideal, but I loved the atmosphere of the park and the unique collection of rides.

The final closure wasn't a shock to me. After being overbuilt into a super-regional destination, it was suddenly positioned yet again as a local, family park. Unfortunately, Cedar Fair wasn't able to successfully market the downgraded park. It was not easy to convince people to pay significantly more to get into a much smaller park.

In just a few weeks, the entire "wildlife" section was mothballed, headcount was trimmed significantly, Cleveland bus service was terminated, and all branding was removed. All marketing in Columbus (and presumably elsewhere outside of Cleveland) ceased immediately. They produced several bad commercials and made some major PR blunders upon reopening the park as Geauga Lake.

To be fair, Cedar Fair made an honest attempt to turn the park around after their hurried initial season. A major investment was made in Wildwater Kingdom on the former SeaWorld/wildlife property, improvements were made to operations & cleanliness, and marketing fought to regain the (local) customers that SIX lost.

Unfortunately, attendance was low and continued to slide. Continued downsizing of the overbuilt park was necessary, but it seemed to hurt attendance even more. The season was shortened, Halloween events were cancelled, and the new Wildwater Kingdom became by far the most popular area of the park.

In 2006, even more shocking news came - Cedar Fair was taking out massive debt to pay cash for Paramount Parks. Immediately, the extremely conservative company had debt far exceeding its annual gross revenue. It had also added five successful parks, all in need of major investment. Closing GL presented an opportunity to sell under-performing assets, provide attractions for its new properties, and cut losses on a property that repeatedly failed to turn around.

• Like 7

Id like to say that, had there not been a dick kinzel, there is absolutely 100% no chance that GL would have closed.... but then I think about it and realize that gary story would have simply had a the same "I have a bigger, ahem, ego" contest with whoever would have been in control of CP/CF at the time. Regardless, both are equally detestable in my eyes, and to say I have a "small attachment" to GL would be like saying the Hatfields have a "slight disagreement" with the McCoys. That park means/meant more to me than I can even describe here with words.

If it had not been for Cedar Fair the park would have been close sooner as Six Flags pulled out. If Six Flags did not build the park up so fast in one year it would be open today.

And you just helped make my point with your statement. Had gary story not been locked in an ego contest with dk, that "lets build three coasters in one year that we cant afford to maintain" stunt wouldnt have been pulled. I cant stand either one of them for their b.s., and thats that.

• Like 2

As bad as Gary Story was, Dan Snyder and Mark Shapiro were worse.

Matt Ouimet. Jim Reid-Anderson. Both SIX and FUN are in far better hands now than just a few short years ago.

It's SEA I worry about now. Same types of cuts CBS made right before they sold out to Paramount Parks. The SeaWorld parks are special. I don't want them to end up like SeaWorld Ohio.

• Like 5

^
Actually, just a FYI, Chang was added under Ed Hart's original management of Kentucky Kingdom. So Mantis was one-upped by a "small park" that was not connected in any way yet to a major park chain (this rarely ever happens as most small parks lack the budget to build rides like Chang & stuff).

• Like 1