What would you hate to see go at Kings Island

Vortex lover

The Eiffel Tower and the fountains, can imagine how weird the park would look without either of them?

That could have happened. Paramount explored the idea of removing the tower and replacing it with a Ferris wheel that was shaped like the Paramount logo.

That's something I never knew... I'm very glad it never happened..  :wacko:

-Eiffel Tower: The centerpiece and icon of Kings Island. I'm sure there'd be major public outcry if this were to be removed.

-Royal Fountains: Another major icon from April 29th, 1972. The area would seem so dull without it.

-International Street buildings: Though it is impossible and unnecessary to remove the buildings themselves, it would be more of a shame to see the European façades, a vision of architect Bruce Bushman, be altered or removed. It would make the Eiffel Tower seem out of place.

-The Racer: Responsible for kicking off the second golden age of coasters in the 1970's, we most likely wouldn't have the coasters we have today if it weren't for The Racer. Seeing the removal of Thunder Road at Carowinds and Rolling Thunder at Six Flags Great Adventure makes its future uncertain, but hopefully it is not a continuous trend.

-KI&MVRR: Classic Kings Island ride for families. Would also like to see some train theming return.

• Like 2

...and the grand, majestic entry music on International Street, which was to be next removed. Frankly, I am fully convinced was removed by Cedar Fair mostly because it could but partly to change the psychographic feel of the park.

Sigh.

The Interpreter:  Why do you think KI had had pop music infiltrate the entire park, while other parks still have thematic music--KD has movie scores on I-Street and CWinds has grand entry music in the entrance plaza?  Even months after my visit to KD, when I listen to the soundtrack on Youtube, I can remember exactly where I was and what I was thinking at that park when each song was playing.

Sadly the company does view CP/KI and other parks honestly as potential cookie cutters. I see it more and more between the two with this years new developments at both. Some things can carry over for sure, uniforms, ride op SOP, food offerings, etc.

But leave the personalities of the parks alone. So far Knotts, WWK, and Dorney are the only parks to me that still don't feel all corporate to me.

That's funny-because once I left the main midway at Cedar Point, I didn't feel like I was at a corporate park.  KD did not feel corporate to me.  KI feels very corporate.

• Like 2

I'd really hate to see Vortex go. I think its one of the most recognizable rides out there, and I find myself often just watching the ride, something is just so fascinating about it.

I really wouldnt miss Firehawk, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Adventure Express, or Dinosaurs Alive. All of these i feel like can be replaced with much better coasters. 

In general top one would be The Beast as it's the iconic ride of KI. For that reason though I feel it's pretty safe (though never say never) but popularity and its status make it fairly safe I feel. Same, along with young age, for Diamondback and Banshee.

For ones more likely I'd hate to see AE go. It is one of my favorite mine trains hands down. Only real competition I've seen for it is Disney's BTM which is a different league of parks itself. But for regional/seasonal parks, none of the others even come close to it. Would love to see it restored to everything working again and maybe some new effects. And enhance the "volcano" tunnel. Put rockwork and red/orange lighting throughout it to give it more of the feel. The current rocks at the entrance and exact with red light in a wooden tunnel jsut doesn't feel very volcano-y to me.

To be honest, the two rides I wanted to see go  (SOB and Crypt) are already gone.  At this point, especially with Banshee coming in to round out the coaster line up, I'd be sad to see anything go, though Action Theater is a likely exception.  

I'm not sure you could even really call it the Action Theatre anymore. The building is still there but has been gutted of all the equipment for years now. I'd count that as an attraction that's been removed. So even if they tore the building down I wouldn't count that as AT leaving.

Phantom Theate...oh wait!!!   =/

-T. Forsaken

Was actually thinking the same thing initially.

Don't get rid of:  the 25 cent Ms. Pac Man game in the 80's store!  And I may be in the minority here, but I love Congo Falls...a quick, wet relief on hot days.  And never a line.  That really helps get me a boost of energy when needed and I'd miss it if it were gone. 

Wouldn't mind getting rid of - Dinosaurs Alive, while interesting in itself, seems really out of place for me.  The uneven landscape makes its a pain on hot days with kids, and the mosquito are brutal.  Plus when you walk it once, you're pretty much done with it.  I wonder if they would eventually use that space for something more enjoyable.  

-KI&MVRR: Classic Kings Island ride for families. Would also like to see some train theming return.

I would probably stop renewing my pass if this single thing ever happened.

If I had to pick a single ride that I would dislike having gone, it would be The Beast. I don't think I'd cancel my pass altogether, but it would be sorely missed.

The Eiffel Tower and the fountains, can imagine how weird the park would look without either of them?

That could have happened. Paramount explored the idea of removing the tower and replacing it with a Ferris wheel that was shaped like the Paramount logo.

That's something I never knew... I'm very glad it never happened.. :wacko:

The most major thing that put a stop to it (although my understanding is that the discussions never really got that far) was the cost of removing the Eiffel Tower.
  • Like 2