Tips for Introducing someone to coasters

CharleyTheDinosaur

I am going to the park this week with a friend that has only been on 2 roller coasters in his life and both times he was terrified. From the story he told me it sounds like his family tricked him into riding The Beast when he was about 8 years old and was pressured in middle school to ride The Racer. I've already told him I won't pressure him and won't lie to him about any ride. He wants to try to ride something now that he has a girlfriend that'll go on anything. Anyone have any tips for me?

I thought we'd ride BLSC several times until he's comfortable with that. Then if he's ok Adventure Express several times. Not sure where to go from there.

• Like 2

Take it from someone who used to be terrified of coasters and now loves them. Have his girlfriend go with. For me, at least, the need to look Macho overpowered the phobia, and the rest, as they say, is history.

zombiejane is the reason I'm what I am today. Now I'm dragging her on rides!!!

• Like 3

This is hard for me because I've been riding anything and everything my whole life. When it comes to his girlfriend we are worried she'll pressure him and he'll be apprehensive and freak out.

What do you guys think about Flight Deck? Not sure if the swinging would be good for a noob but there are no big drops and its short.

Take him straight to Diamondback's exit, stand there and watch the smiles coming off the ride, nobody crying or screaming, everybody is happy they rode it. Then get him on the ride ASAP. The rest will be history. I don't believe in the starting small ride talk, just get right at it and then everything else will be cupcakes. :P

• Like 11

Like several of us on here, I too grew up terrified and it wasn't until High School that I really started enjoying them.

For me I would stay away from Backlot first & Racer.

Honestly, I would start on Adventure Express. I would get them comfortable on that & then move on to Back lot, or Flight Deck.

As a new rider, Racer can be pretty intense because of only having the lap bar, and the hills provide a lot of air time depending on where you sit. I know that as a new rider that definately freaked me out. I liked feeling secure & with the OTSR's on Flight Deck, despite the fact the lift hill initially scared me, the ride itself wasn't overly intense.

Good Luck. The one thing that always discouraged me was when people gave me a hard time about being afraid of them so don't do that be supportive, offer to buy a picture on their first big ride if you get them on one... But keep them talking in line. Tell Jokes, keep their mind off it & say, "No big deal" if they don't feel comfortable. Bribes were what got me on some of the bigger rides, but again just be supportive about it & don't get super frustrated with them.

I would also not go the girlfriend route or even show them the bigger rides. It only takes you seeing one person getting sick or looking shaken to give a new rider worries.

• Like 2

I agree to the build up method.

There was hedging at all of the coasters, The Racer was too fast to start out with, the AE, they couldn't see the track to see where it would take them, etc..

Of all things, it was Backlot. The fearful guy climbed into the Backlot mini like he was going to the grocery. He loved it.

Something about that quick take-off led him to challenge himself to other rides.

Maybe it has to do with magnetism.

• Like 5

I started small and worked my way up. Eventually you run out of the smaller coasters and have to take that leap onto a bigger one. I think either method is good, but it depends on the person. Since you said he didn't like The Beast, I'd be hesitant about starting him out big. But, at least in my own experience, rides seemed scarier/bigger/more forceful when I was younger than they do now, so what may have scared him back then may not scare him as much now once he goes on it. I started out with AE and Flight Deck and advanced to King Cobra and Racer, before finally being talked into Vortex years later - that's when I learned I really loved coasters. There are pros and cons to either method, just pick which one you think will be more suited to him.

• Like 3

I agree to the build up method.

There was hedging at all of the coasters, The Racer was too fast to start out with, the AE, they couldn't see the track to see where it would take them, etc..

Of all things, it was Backlot. The fearful guy climbed into the Backlot mini like he was going to the grocery. He loved it.

Something about that quick take-off led him to challenge himself to other rides.

Maybe it has to do with magnetism.

I was thinking we'd start with BLSC because it doesn't have a lift. A lift just gives him more time to think about it.

• Like 1

I may need help with my Twin Brother Luke! He has been on The Beast, Racer and Flight Deck in 2011 but in 2012 for some reason he became deathly afraid of rollercoasters. He cried on Adventure Express but was laughing at the end. Can someone help me?

I may need help with my Twin Brother Luke! He has been on The Beast, Racer and Flight Deck in 2011 but in 2012 for some reason he became deathly afraid of rollercoasters. He cried on Adventure Express but was laughing at the end. Can someone help me?

Don't have noobs ride The Beast...

Also explain the extensive maitenence before having people on the rickety old roller coasters.