Tips for Introducing someone to coasters

CharleyTheDinosaur

The one that no one has said, that I think would be a good starter (if you go w/ the start small plan) is flying Ace Arial Chase.

I enjoy The Beastie Woodstock Express as much as the next guy, there's even a little bit of air time on it, I love riding w/ my son, look forward to riding it with my daughter and am sad for the time they grow out of it, but there is no question that its a coaster designed for kids. The seats are small, don't know how long/big your legs are, but the great thing about riding w/ my son is that I can turn my legs sidewards into "his space" since 1) he won't care, and 2) his legs don't use up all that space. Two (I'm assuming here) teenagers may not fit all that well. So you kind of insult him by starting off w/ a clear kids ride, and you're squeezing into something that will make it less than comfortable.

Meanwhile, Flying Ace Arial chase leaves you a little more exposed, it feels older (it has a taller height requirement), its very smooth and while your appear to be traveling slowly when watching from the ground, you feel like your moving pretty quickly when you ride it. He won't get jerked around like you do on Adventure Express, won't get tossed up and down like you do on The Racer, and don't get banged around like you do on stunt coaster.

From there, I move on over to the Stunt coaster. The launch is fun, while most of the ride moves at a steady pace. You get jerked around a bit, but that will prepare him for something bigger. From there to Adventure Express, which jerks you around a ton, but builds up pretty good speed and no noticable high elevations. Now head back to The Racer. He's been on it before, so he'll know what to expect, and better yet, the whole track is in front of him, so he'll know what to expect.

Since you said you were going to be honest with him, from there you've got to ask him what he liked about each ride, what he disliked, and use those answers to move to the next ride. Did he love the launch? head to Flight of Fear (do you mention the inversions or not?) Did he like the lift on The Racer and the sound/feel of wood? Time to climb back on The Beast (sit in the middle of your car so your not over a whell, much smoother). Did he like the laterals that Adventure Express provides? Head back to Flight Deck for a lot of side to side swinging.

Do those 3 in order of what experiences he liked the best.

At that point, its time to make another decision. Did he enjoy the inversion on Flight of Fear? Did he like hanging below the track on FAAC & Flight Deck? Head on over to Invertigo for a little of both. While your in that area of the park, hop on congo falls for some of the best air time in the park. Did he hate the inversions but like running thru the woods on The Beast? Head on over to Diamondback. I'd save Vortex and Firehawk for last. For my money, Vortex packs the most punch in the park. Firehawk is a unique experience to everything else in the park, hagning there below the track w/ only a harness b/w you and the ground.

Another tip, take some time b/w coasters, you don't have to coaster, coaster, coaster. Find a flat or two he might like, take time for lunch or a snack of some sort. Take in a show, cool down on boo blasters, etc... KI offers a lot of diversions from coasters, take advantage of them. Get him up on Eiffel Tower so he can relate to the height of everything in the park.

• Like 5

My brother use to be afraid of anything that took him off of the ground.. And I mean everything...

He wanted to like them since I go a lot and his girlfriend loves coasters.

So we went on an empty Tuesday cause we planned a double date the following Saturday.

I didn't want to rush him on anything, so I asked him what he wanted to try first.

He said we should try the water park. Despite his fear of off ground things, he loves waterslides.

So we spent 2 hours there, I figured it was a good warm-up so why not?

We went back to the dry side and walked around for a few.

He finally looked over, pointed to it, and said "That..."

"Vortex?!" I basically screamed.

I gave him the chance in hopes this wouldn't ruin it since it was my first rolly coaster as well...

It was a walk on, we sat in our seats, the ride ops checked and cleared us.

All I remember on that ride was looking over and him smiling. Now he loves coasters.

Vortex should be #1!

• Like 6

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think what I may do is take him around the park and show him everything first and see what he wants to do. I would love it if he wants to go straight for Diamondback but I'm not going to force it. He says that he's not necessarily afraid of the speed or height but something about the feeling of being out of control that he didn't like. Two woodies were probably not the best thing for him to ride when he was a kid if he doesn't like an "out of control and nothing you can do about it" feeling. I'll update here after we go to let you guys know how it went. Thanks.

• Like 1

I have always had a philosphy in life that applies to many things... including coasters. The more you push someone forward... the more they pull back.

I think suggestions such as "make them ride Diamondback first" are ridiculous. I say let the person you are going with call the shots. Work from smaller to larger. As you come up to rides, be honest with them about how intense it is, and if they don't want to ride... don't keep pushing. Move on and make it THEIR day, not your's.

When I was a ride op (back in the day) I would occasionally come across parents "forcing" their kids on the ride. I'd often step in, whisper to the parent "If you want them to enjoy coasters with you in the future, don't force them on this one, let them decide on their own terms."

I'd then hold the child in the corrall, while the parent rode. As the parent rode, I'd talk honestly to the kid about the ride. Sometimes they rode after I talked to them, other times they still were adverse. Bottom line, it ultimately didn't ruin their, or their parent's day.

I was lucky that I had a Dad that didn't push me. He let me grow into rides. Eventually, he became one of my best riding partners. I've always kept that in mind when visiting parks with less experienced, coaster-intimidated friends.

• Like 10

Obviously don't put a young kid on Diamondback off-rip. But with someone 15 or older, going on Diamondback can be the best way to show them there really isn't anything to worry about on any of the coasters. Start them off on a kiddy coaster and their anxiety will be comparable, but then they might have the idea that Diamondback must be like 10x scarier since it's that much taller.

Also tell them Diamondback is the most technologically advanced and therefor the safest.

• Like 1

Do it the same way the army trains its airborne troops. They don't start the new airborne troops jumping out of a C-130 at 1,200 feet. They start teach them how to jump and land and then jump from a 50 foot and 250 foot jump tower with an attached chute. Start riding a smaller, less extreme coaster rather than from a 300 foot coaster. Start out small and build yourself up to The Beast and Diamondback.

I have always had a philosphy in life that applies to many things... including coasters. The more you push someone forward... the more they pull back.

I think suggestions such as "make them ride Diamondback first" are ridiculous. I say let the person you are going with call the shots. Work from smaller to larger. As you come up to rides, be honest with them about how intense it is, and if they don't want to ride... don't keep pushing. Move on and make it THEIR day, not your's.

When I was a ride op (back in the day) I would occasionally come across parents "forcing" their kids on the ride. I'd often step in, whisper to the parent "If you want them to enjoy coasters with you in the future, don't force them on this one, let them decide on their own terms."

I'd then hold the child in the corrall, while the parent rode. As the parent rode, I'd talk honestly to the kid about the ride. Sometimes they rode after I talked to them, other times they still were adverse. Bottom line, it ultimately didn't ruin their, or their parent's day.

I was lucky that I had a Dad that didn't push me. He let me grow into rides. Eventually, he became one of my best riding partners. I've always kept that in mind when visiting parks with less experienced, coaster-intimidated friends.

Speaking as a former kid with a huge phobia of roller coasters, this post is literally all you need to read in this thread. You'll do yourself and your friend a colossal favor by letting your friend set the pace. Light suggestions are appreciated, but don't nag, and definitely don't push for the biggest rides in the park. Learn what your friend likes in what rides he chooses, and see if you can relate what he likes in those rides to rides he hasn't tried yet. But let him choose the rides.

Also, Shaggy, I'm pretty sure this

is called "Newton's third law". :D

• Like 5

^^^Flight of Fear isnt bad. took my 12 year old little sister on it. she hated coasters before that. we got off and she looked at me with a huge grin and said we gotta do that again! she now loves coasters! except for Firehawk, she did it but didnt care to ride it again. lol her next goal is Top Thrill Dragster! she was too scared last year but shes really excited now! im not saying Flight of Fear is the best option but it may help since its dark

• Like 1

Were not talking about someone forcing their kid to ride a ride, were talking about a young man with a girlfriend who loves coasters. Stop being a little (parental advisory) and go ride coasters with you lady before she looks at you as one of her girlfriends and not her man! ;)

Then ride flight deck unitll its no longer scary and kinda boring. Then do the same for each ride, but let him choose

My nieces refused to ride anything outside of kiddie land....we talked them into riding Adventure Express...after that coaster they wanted to ride bigger ones...but we always let them choose. We didn't want them to be frightened away from ever riding another coaster.

• Like 3

I think a lot of it comes down to exposure. Going to parks multiple times and being exposed to what rides look like in person is probably a big part of it. Watching rides work would be idea. By that, I mean a couple things. For example, watching a ride and observing things like how fast it goes, how riders look at certain moments, and getting used to the noises would serve a lot of purposes in adding familiarity. Seeing the many guests ride and come off with smiles, signs they've enjoyed the ride and showing its safe, may help as well. You can only do so much with using facts and figures. The big thing, at least to me, is making the mental leap from what coasters are from a stereotypical stand point to what they are in reality, especially with how the media portrays roller coasters and amusement parks.

• Like 1

Ride with his gf and flirt with her in front of him. He will start riding with her then.

I could always get my wife to go too and he can hold the purses with her while I hang out all day in lines with his girlfriend. We'll just make it a nice awkward day for everybody.

In all seriousness I don't think he would really care if she was there or not. We both think she probably would pressure him though and it might turn him off to riding anything.

• Like 3