Biggest Announcement in Dollywood History

I think it's a good addition to the park. That side of the park needed more family stuff to draw the visitors with kids over that way, since really the only thing over there for them is River Battle. OK, there's also Beaver Creek, Lil' Loggers' Landing & Lumberjack Lifts, but two of those are play areas, and none of them are what I would consider major attractions, just things to occupy the kids while mom, dad and older siblings take a ride on Thunderhead, Mystery Mine & Wild Eagle.

However, it seems odd to me to have two firefighter themed coasters. Hopefully this doesn't spell doom for Blazing Fury! That thing's a classic and a must-ride for us!

• Like 7

youngstud,

You like to talk about going to the park w/ your wife and 1 year old (I think) daughter a lot. I don't know about you, but this announcement increases the odds that I'd attend Dollywood in the next season or three. We have a 5 year old that will ride anything in the 48" and under range and a 1 year old not old enough to do anything but the merry go round at this point. I've never been to Dollywood, but the vibe I get is that its main audience is people in my target range, give or take 5 years w/ their kids ages that don't want the travel/cost associated w/a full week at Disney. I'm actually as excited about this announcement as I was Wild Eagle 2 years back.

Edit, I see that your daughter is older, which makes sense now that I recall you stating your wife and you split time riding solo/going to Planet Snoopy. Anyways, the point remains, not all attendees want 300' tall mamoths, some want things they can experience w/ their children and not all children will ride a 300' tall ride or a multi inversion twister, nor will all adults, but from what I see, that is a ride that more people can experience together. I can't speak for all, but my fondest memories of amusement parks don't include going on Magnum, Vortex or Big Thunder mountain as a kid/adult but include the look on my son's face as we went back and forth on Viking Fury, watching him lift his hands in the air at the age of 1 while riding Maelstorm at Epcot, watching him scream as The Beastie took us thru its short course. I wouldn't trade those memories for a thousand rides on Millenium Force or Diamondback.

• Like 6

Dolly just looks...ew lol

Saw that pic and just...no haha

67 years old and too much Plastic Surgery. Back in her younger days though :) Oh well, doesn't take away from the fact that she is a very nice and giving person. Plus she has been in some of my favorite movies.

I had to double take when I read that she is 67 years old...surprisingly enough she is. I could have sworn that she was in her 70's to near 80.

I must have her confused with Joan Rivers or something...

I have young kids so was excited to see a lower height limit on this coaster. However, I had the same concern about the future of Blazin' Fury...because how many "family" firefighter coasters does one park need? I think at least two :)

I am always impressed by the fact that Dollywood puts major money into the park. Almost every year, they put in some sort of new attraction that is unique and fun for all different ages. It is a great park. It has something for everyone.

• Like 3

Since we are enthusiasts on here, the only reason to be happy about a announcement for a hotel & family ride is if you recieve a paycheck from Dollywood IMO.

Can I just say there are enthusiasts on this site, but that doesn't mean everyone on this site is an enthusiast. This is KI Central, not KI Roller Coasters and Thrills Central. It's a site about the park itself....not just the coasters.

And to be frank, Dollywood is NOT a thrill park. It doesn't profess to be one. It's a FAMILY park, and it's in the midst of one of the largest FAMILY tourist destinations in the country. I had the opportunity to walk through Dollywood when it was closed (yes, I was there legally) and the simpleness of the place amazed me. I didn't have to go on any rides to actually enjoy the park. The setting alone is thrilling. So NO, YoungStud, the only reason to be happy about this announcement is NOT simply if you receive a Dollywood paycheck. Have you ever been there? Have you ever been to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and the Smoky Mountains? If not, you should try it. You might find nature's thrills are a lot better than the manmade steel ones.

• Like 11

1. Dollywood really seems like it has a great variety of fun rides, even more now with the new coaster.

2. The new resort looks beautiful and very well designed.

3. $300 million within 10 years? That's a pretty serious investment and I'm sure will only result in awesome things for the park.

Combining all 3 of these things I now have a new park I'd like to visit within the next several years.

Nice job, Dollywood. You just ensured youself a new money spending patron soon. :)

• Like 4

Personally.....I have never gone to that beautiful part of the country to ride intense thrill rides.

IMO it's all about the the Great Smoky Mountains so anything else that I can do to enjoy time with the family is a plus.

Agreed, there is so much to do in Gatlinburg/Pidgeon Forge. Dollywood is just one thing. Besides Gatlingburg is a family tourist destination. Dollywood has to keep up with that market, hince the new coaster aimed at familys.

• Like 1

Gary, I was thinking the same exact thoughts with the fire fighting theme to this coaster. Hopefully Blazing Fury is safe. I still miss that splash down ending on it. So does anyone know where exactly this new resort hotel will be located in relation to the park/parking lot?

• Like 1