The legend of the Hatbox Ghost!

So Disney announced yesterday that they will be re-installing the Hatbox Ghost in the Disneyland version of the Haunted Mansion!
Most here wont know the significance of that, but this is extremely exciting news to Disney/Haunted Mansion fans such as myself.
The Hatbox Ghost is legendary. It lasted only 2-3 days when the attraction opened in 1969. The "trick" was easy to decipher by guests, and so it was pulled and destroyed immediately.
Fans have begged Disney to re-imagine and install the Ghost back in the mansion. And after 45 years - they agreed. Here's a video with the rarest of all Disney Haunted Mansion things - a glimpse of the original Hatbox Ghost in operation.
Shaggy
  • Like 10

Very cool! Thanks for posting. I actually have the Haunted Mansion album with accompanying book that's shown in the video. I got it back as a child in the early-to-mid 70s. It's now in an album "picture" frame (from The Container Store) along with my albums of Bambi, Peter Pan, and the Mickey Mouse Club.

• Like 1

Here's a little tidbit I found out about the Haunted Mansion... it's rather creepy. Apparently, Disney has trouble with people that attempt to throw ashes of cremated loved ones while riding the attraction. They monitor riders closely and if they see someone tossing something, they e-stop the ride, evac and the ride is completely shut down until ecology cleans it thoroughly.

Yikes!

• Like 4

A little clarification on this topic..Disney did NOT annouce they were bringing back the Hatbox Ghost to the HM in DL. Rather, what they did was create a modern version of him for the D23 Fan Expo currently taking place down the street from the park. The figure is designed to showcase the latest audio animatronic technology and in fact, does not even feature the hatbox trick. Disney is mum on if the figure will ever be reinstalled in the Mansion. Who knows, he may show up as part of a Limited Time Magic promotion down the line...

• Like 1

There are hundreds of things within the Mansion to see....every ride is slightly different. I've ridden it hundreds of times (in fl.) and see new things every time....It is very atmospheric....We waited for it during a thunderstorm...a real setup for what was ahead....LOL

• Like 3

I have only ridden the one in Florida but I am a huge fan of the ride as I really enjoy dark rides and the Haunted Mansion is still one of the tops in the category. During my last trip to Disney World I bought a book about the Haunted Mansion. It covers everything from the early concepts, creation and changes to the rides over the years and has comparisons between the different versions around the world. Amazon has it if anyone wants to give it a read. I read it cover to cover.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Haunted-Mansion-Kingdom-Updated/dp/1423118952/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1376578478&sr=8-6&keywords=disney+haunted+mansion

• Like 1

I've ridden both the WDW and DL versions. WDW's is a tad bit longer than DL. Of course DL's is the original, so that makes it special.

It's funny because I prefer the WDW version of Haunted Mansion (both interior and exterior)... but I prefer DL's version of Pirates of C.

As Upstop said, you can see something different and new everytime you ride the Mansion... and not just the hidden Mickeys. ;-)

• Like 1

Do you know where the largest hidden mickey is in all of Disney parks? It is in a Haunted Mansion.

Well, I know of the plates... but don't think that would be the largest.

Isn't Everest at AK a large hidden Mickey? (Look at it from the aierel perspective.)

To tell you the truth it might be now....In 1998 it was in the Haunted Mansion... I took one of the guided tours and it was told that when you walk into the loading room of the mansion and turn back towards the two picture galleries you were standing on the largest hidden Mickey's face.

I just would love to see the stuff behind the scenes or with house lights on if I ever got the trip to disney. I remember watching that stuff as a kid on VHS and on the old disney channel and that stuff amazed me, it still somewhat does for the illusions that I know how they work, but you rarely see behind the scenes for anything however.

So other than the peppers ghosts & stuff...who all knows epic secrets of this ride, it still fascinates me

Well where do you want me to begin...LOL.

The ride is a three part story...there was a fight between the three divisions of imagineers. Some wanted an atmospheric ride, some wanted a scary ride, some wanted a funny ride. They looked to Walt for a decision and he died. So the decision was made to make the first part of the story an atmospheric ride, the middle is scary and the ending is funny.

Originally a Raven was to tell the story and if you ride now you will find a raven hiding throughout the ride. The ghost host was a veteran radio announcer who also was a voiceover for the Burgermeister Meisterburger in Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Rankin/Bass) and many other cartoon characters including Ludwig Von Drake for the Disney Company.

The talking busts at the end of the ride are actually the Disney Barbershop Quartet members and Thurl Ravescroft (voice of Tony the Tiger...they're great!) and namesake for the Mansion itself.

There is much much more!!!!

• Like 2

I just would love to see the stuff behind the scenes or with house lights on if I ever got the trip to disney. I remember watching that stuff as a kid on VHS and on the old disney channel and that stuff amazed me, it still somewhat does for the illusions that I know how they work, but you rarely see behind the scenes for anything however.

Unfortunately they wont turn the lights on (trade secrets/and I was told that the structure could be dangerous with the catwalks etc, so we discussed the Haunted Mansion ride and rode it.....most likely a liability issue) but we did get to go into the utiladors below the park, to the trash collection area where you could hear the trash vacuuming through the pipes to the bins, and we went just off to the right of Main Street USA to see part of a parking lot completely hidden from view. We also were being taught about the forced perspective of the main street buildings when....a giant maintenance worker appeared on the roof to demonstrate (accidental but it proved the point of forced perspective...) it was a great time! Also...above ground a character is NEVER to remove their heads in public, and males and females could wear either sex costumes above ground...in the utilidor it is ok to remove their head. We walked past a break room and in (1998) smoking was still ok.....Minnie Mouse was on break in the room...and there she was, a hairy Italian guy smoking a cigar with her legs crossed and those huge foam high heel shoes....the crowd I was with lost it....

• Like 4

Also, the utilidors serve as a way for costumed cast members to get around without being seen by guests..it is strictly forbidden to be out of the land your costume fits into (at least this is true of MK where I worked.) As for the Mansion, the story does revolve around ill-fated love. A ring fits into the back story, and in fact, when you exit the ride, there is the ring embdedded in the bricks just in front of you. If you look for it and cant find it, ask a HM cast member for help. If they're doing it right, they won't answer you, but will lead you to the ring and stomp their foot down on it. all part of the ambiance.

• Like 2

I was there at Halloween one year and during Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, the Haunted Mansion was a blast...The crew was really getting into their jobs that night! I remember we were some of the first to ride the ride and when we got to the loading platform there were "dead" cast members in some of the doombuggies....what a hoot! If I were working at MK, that would be the ride I'd want to work.

• Like 4

Be careful what you wish for--as you've seen, the costumes are victorian themed--heavy green overcoat, vest, shirt, tie (for men). The rotation there does consist of being an outside 'greeter' throughout the day, which, as you can imagine in the hot, muggy Florida sun isn't much fun! (trust me, I worked as a greeter there one day and it wasn't fun!)

• Like 3

Also, the utilidors serve as a way for costumed cast members to get around without being seen by guests..it is strictly forbidden to be out of the land your costume fits into (at least this is true of MK where I worked.) As for the Mansion, the story does revolve around ill-fated love. A ring fits into the back story, and in fact, when you exit the ride, there is the ring embdedded in the bricks just in front of you. If you look for it and cant find it, ask a HM cast member for help. If they're doing it right, they won't answer you, but will lead you to the ring and stomp their foot down on it. all part of the ambiance.

PART of the WDW and DL Mansion story NOW revolves around an ill-fated love... but when they opened, that wasn't a focus of the attractions - rather just a minor part. The storyline of the Bride in the mansion has evolved over time, mostly since the opening of Euro Disney which built the entire Phantom Manor attraction around the storyline.

Actually, where the Bride figure exists now in the DL version is where the Hatbox Ghost was originally placed. (I believe.)

Oh, and the ring you mentioned at the WDW version - gone. It was removed/paved over years ago. Many argue that it was actually not a ring - rather the remnant from a former gate post. Who knows. Anyways, here's a pic of the former "ring."

hauntedmansionring.jpg

• Like 3

PART of the WDW and DL Mansion story NOW revolves around an ill-fated love... but when they opened, that wasn't a focus of the attractions - rather just a minor part. The storyline of the Bride in the mansion has evolved over time, mostly since the opening of Euro Disney which built the entire Phantom Manor attraction around the storyline.

Actually, where the Bride figure exists now in the DL version is where the Hatbox Ghost was originally placed. (I believe.)

Oh, and the ring you mentioned at the WDW version - gone. It was removed/paved over years ago. Many argue that it was actually not a ring - rather the remnant from a former gate post. Who knows. Anyways, here's a pic of the former "ring."

hauntedmansionring.jpg

It kind of looks like it could be part of an old gate post bolt....but you know, lots of HM Legends were started by cast members....and I think that is so cool...It gives life to ride to have so many back stories.

BTW has anybody heard any information on the Guilmermo Del Toro reboot of the HM movie? It was announced a couple of years ago, but I can't find any information on the net about it...I hope it hasn't been dropped.

I LOVE that ride....Mr. Ouimet....If you are listening....Kings Island needs a Haunted Mansion...(not a shoot-em up type ride either.) and it can go into the old Crypt building spot and beyond to the edge of the woods...anyone else agree?

In fact.....why not have a ride similar to the defunct Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter converted to a haunted mansion ride!!! That ride was beyond cool and totally out of place in the Magic Kingdom. (now I'm quoting myself...yay....stop me please!!!)

• Like 2