Eiffel Tower question

HarvestmanMan

Hello there! I apparently registered on here a few years ago but never posted.

I was watching Taft's 1972 Kings Island construction video and noticed that they specified "two high-speed elevators" for the Tower. I'm assuming that this was never actually carried out?

Also, when did the lower observation deck close, and was it a direct result of the legendary fatality involving the elevator?

There are indeed two elevators in the Eiffel Tower. The second one (left door as viewed from the queue), which goes to the 265' platform, is not used except on busy days such as Saturdays when the right elevator and 275' platform are not able to handle the crowds. I have also seen it in use once during a steady rain, as the 265' platform has a ceiling (the floor of the 275' platform immediately above) and thereby has protection from the rain.

• Like 2

The 50 foot platform has not been reopened, to my knowledge, since the tragedy.

The reason it is not open to guests has very little to do with the fatality. More to do with ADA, staffing, etc. Also, it currently houses electrical equiptment for things such as lighting etc.

• Like 4

The 50 foot platform has not been reopened, to my knowledge, since the tragedy.

The reason it is not open to guests has very little to do with the fatality. More to do with ADA, staffing, etc. Also, it currently houses electrical equiptment for things such as lighting etc.

I know it was not the tragedy that happens, cause I used to walk up to the 50 foot platform when I was a younger, from the late 80s to the early 90's. I'm sure ADA had a lot to do with it!

• Like 3

Lol, yup, block checks :P

Same on raptor, it suuucks, mantis wasn't too bad as it's actually pretty low

Another + of Arrow, the computer's block check can all be controlled by the control panel, the only enables outside of that are the dispatch enable, lift enable/reset, and transfer panel.

None of this running around block check nonsense :)

Intamin block checks however though, eeeaasssyyy, computer practically does everything.

• Like 2

Currently neither elevator can access the 50ft, many modifications would be necessary Also lucky bugger...block checks were all manual for many rides at cp

Agreed....but placing a restaurant there could be done with the modifications as you stated....There wouldn't be room for a kitchen, so that would have to be at ground level with cart delivery to the platform (via the modified elevator system), and because there would be a view with limited seating, it could be by reservation only. The cuisine could be fine dining with a wine list, French cuisine perhaps. With a little imagination the park could have a real money generator.

• Like 3

Currently neither elevator can access the 50ft, many modifications would be necessary Also lucky bugger...block checks were all manual for many rides at cp

Agreed....but placing a restaurant there could be done with the modifications as you stated....There wouldn't be room for a kitchen, so that would have to be at ground level with cart delivery to the platform (via the modified elevator system), and because there would be a view with limited seating, it could be by reservation only. The cuisine could be fine dining with a wine list, French cuisine perhaps. With a little imagination the park could have a real money generator.

If memory serves me, when The international restaurant was in full operation, wasn't it a Fancy shmancy sit down, reservation type atmosphere? That would tell me that it's been done before and it didn't work..

Yeah for the park to invest that much into the tower and get everything setup and ready for operations meanwhile cutting operations of the tower down by having another stop on the way. It's a cool idea but I don't ever see it happening again. Now that maint has practically taken over that deck I doubt it will ever be used again..

Also potential off season tour location boddah? That would he cool to go up there too :-)

• Like 1

Do they really invite random people to come up to the International restaurant to watch the fireworks and eat pizza? My wife to this day wonders how we have yet to be asked? I could care some but I am curious?

The June KIC event included that, sans pizza.

And KIC has some pretty random people. And some random pretty people, for that matter.

• Like 4