Intanim dying a slow death?

Tr0y

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know if they've solved the problem with Shoot the Rapids? I really hope that opens back up. I know I'm the only one on here that likes that water ride, but to me it's a fun water ride.

Given the time of year, I highly doubt it will reopen this season even if fixed.

I e-mailed Cedar Point a couple days ago and they didn't give me a direct answer but they said the maintenance dept is still working on the ride. So hopefully this means they're making adjustments so this never happens again. I'm just happy they didn't tell me that they are getting rid of it. :)

• Like 3

I wonder if this might revive the Cedar Fair - Intamin Relationship.

I know it sounds kind of weird but maybe if Intamin and Cedar Point work closely together and maybe offer a discount on ride...

Possibilities...

But who knows might never see another Intamin in a Cedar Fair park again, but a fan can dream can't he.

I agree with your last sentence, it would be a dream if Cedar Fair never built unreliable rides with extensive downtime, that's for sure ;P

• Like 2

The supes have outstanding reliability. Come to think of it the only intamin coasters in the states are mostly the most technological coasters in the world. The regular coasters with chain lifts overseas has great reliability. Its a shame intamin does not get props foe their awesome non coasters such as flat rides and water rides.

I don't think it's fair to compare Intamin and Arrow Dynamics. Arrow failed because, for whatever reason, they did not respond quickly enough to the market's demand for more innovative and comfortable rides (I would imagine being the industry leader for some time had something to do with this). As far as I know, though, their rides are generally reliable and safe.

Intamin, which is arguably the most innovative coaster design firm today, produces unreliable and comparatively unsafe rides.

They are two very different firms that failed (are failing?) for very different reasons.

Hey I know this topic has been dead for a while, but I thought I'd bring it back. I know everyone complains about Shoot the Rapids, but what about Pilgrims plunge? That ride is an Intamin as well, does that ride have any issues with it compared to Shoot the Rapids?

Very very very few rides at all have issues that compare to the Shoot the Rapids'.

• Like 2

They're been trying ever since the ride (didn't) open in spring 2010.

Has anyone ever seen a line for Shoot the Rapids, even on the busiest day?

I rode it once and determined I wouldn't again. In my line of thinking, log flumes are meant to give you a cooling mist; shoot-the-chutes rides get you soaked; rapids rides leave you drenched. Cedar Point has one of each, but they all favor the 'drenched' option, leaving you walking around in sopping wet socks all day long.

Shoot the Rapids sends you under a waterfall and down a drop where hoses are literally positioned at face-level, spraying inward. You get soaked - and that's assuming your boat can navigate the turns, stay afloat, and not capsize. That's a lot of danger for the most snail-paced attraction I've ever been on. Slower than Pirates of the Caribbean, and with nothing to look at.

There are / were numerous defects on the part of the manufacturer, but the concept is also just poor.

EDIT: LOOK AT THOSE HOSES! Outrageous!

shoot-the-rapids1.jpg

• Like 1

I went on a day last year during the summer and the queue was full. I'm guessing for the average guest, they probably just wanted something to cool off on and not have to wait a long time for like you do with Thunder Canyon. On a hot day, that ride has a slow wait to it. This is why they built Shoot the rapids, to give guests something more to choose from. I just wish the downtime and maintenance issues would go away on it.

• Like 1