2015 talk

shrillcaptinspike

While I expect 2015 to be a quiet year for major ride additions to KI, I will say what I have said for years. I'd love to see a major flat rides package added to KI in the future.

Canada's Wonderland added glorious flat ride after flat ride for years and years under Paramount. Now under Cedar Fair's guidance, they have majorly upped the coaster ante. That has, IMO, made it the chain's Platinum level park.

That's hard for me to admit, since my heart will ALWAYS lie with KI. But the up side is, Kings Island isn't too far behind Wonderland when it comes to being thrill-rounded. With the 1-2-3 punch of Beast, Diamondback and Banshee, a good flat ride package would tip the scale for KI.

Ultimately, a complete overhaul to Coney Mall and the insertion of flats would make me turn cartwheels. I could very easily see that area specifically receiving the new for 2014 CP Gemini Midway treatment, or something similar. I can't help but think that those in charge, who remember the ORIGINAL Cincy Coney Island, would be willing to re-visit the area to properly update and yet pay tribute to KI's roots.

But no matter what my personal preference would be, I have TREMENDOUS faith in those leading KI right now. For the first time in years they are making changes that cause my jaw to drop and my heart to smile. There's good things to come at KI.

Shaggy

• Like 15

I would not miss Congo Falls for a second. My view on the "lack of water rides" argument is we have a water park for a reason. Anyone,during the water parks operating hours, is more than welcome to go and get soaking wet as much as they want. I will be over here riding Banshee and Diamondback! I've always been grossed out by water parks anyway....

• Like 2

Earlier in this forum, someone mentioned $100m, saying that Cedar Fair doesnt have that kind of money to put towards one park in one season. Where are these facts? How much do you think Cedar Fair actually has that if they wanted to, they could put out a year? I personally think they probably have a lot more than that.

The facts are in the 8-K SEC annual filing. In it, you will find the cited amount is slightly more than the average annual capex for all Cedar Fair parks COMBINED.

Cedar Fair is a business, and a sound one. If run like Roller Coaster Tycoon, it wouldn't be for long. Gary Story's Six Flags tried that. It ended badly. Very badly.

• Like 2

Alright, to be quite honest, the ONLY thing I could see is a Soak City expansion, possibly adding a ProSlide attraction ala Carowinds. The reason is that since the park side has been getting advances, the waterpark STILL has attractions circa WW, and early BB, the most recent is the Breakers Bay, which even then that isn't a thrill attraction. With Kings Island getting the majority of the spot light this year, I hope that SC can get a spot light in 2015 with a new slide complex.

• Like 2

the most recent is the Breakers Bay,

Huh? The waterpark got Tidal Wave Bay, Splash River, and its current name in 2012 as part of a large expansion and complete retheme.

Or are you still in denial over that? :)

Breakers Bay was the first name that came to my head, yes I know it is TWB. The river is the same except for a few water doo-hickeys. Listen to Mr. Helbig's recording on the call waiting. (Yes, I know it's a new retheme, but I'm discussing water slides explicitly.)

I stayed up all night and was uber busy as well, give tired BB1 a break!

Okay so i was just wondering if anyone else remembers hearing that Kings Island was supposed to get 2 new roller coasters/rides by 2015, i remember hearing about that in march and was wondering if anyone remembers this.

Not trying to start any new arguments/decoding

We did get 2 new ones(Banshee and Bat)

• Like 4

Okay so i was just wondering if anyone else remembers hearing that Kings Island was supposed to get 2 new roller coasters/rides by 2015, i remember hearing about that in march and was wondering if anyone remembers this.

Well played, well played indeed.

• Like 4

Well played, well played indeed.

Thank you *bow*, thank you *bow*.

• Like 2

the most recent is the Breakers Bay,

Huh? The waterpark got Tidal Wave Bay, Splash River, and its current name in 2012 as part of a large expansion and complete retheme.

Or are you still in denial over that? :)

Breakers Bay was the first name that came to my head, yes I know it is TWB. The river is the same except for a few water doo-hickeys. Listen to Mr. Helbig's recording on the call waiting. (Yes, I know it's a new retheme, but I'm discussing water slides explicitly.)

I stayed up all night and was uber busy as well, give tired BB1 a break!

Yea I woulnd't count taht as a major addition. It was nice adn teh retheme and painting of the waterpark was much needed and look sgreat. But we havne't had a new slide since it became BB. I would rather see a couple flats added first but I wouldn't be disappointed to see a new slide complex added as well and/or a water coaster.

• 1 month later...
Guest dtk1376

I highly doubt that, the ride usually has a good line in it on hot days and even on days with nice weather I still see at least 10-15 people in front me before I get on so it's getting visitors. On the other hand, I could see it getting an overhaul or getting some of the SFX repaired, which would be nice.

• Like 2

Recent additions made by other Cedar Fair parks are your best indicators.

Nice additions that I would not be surprised with include:

• One or two flat rides possibly with a revamped midway. High likelihood of Flying Scooters, (probably Larson, but eh you never know). See Cedar Point, Valleyfair, Knott's and Michigan's Adventure
  • One or more slide towers in Soak City ( I'd expect that they would go near the new pool in the grassy area that was formerly parking lot.) See Carowinds, Dorney Park
  • A new dark ride experience (This one is interesting as the park has a big tan box available but also has an aging Boo Blasters to contend with.) See Canada's Wonderland
  • Like 1

^I would totally second this.

My guess would be to move Sling Shot over to X-Base. Paint it black and maybe put chrome on the pod and it would fit in perfectly. This would free up some space for them to reroute the Oktoberfest path around and allow them to put Flying Scooters right next to the pond a la Surfside Gliders. My next thought would be to put in a Disk'O Coaster like the Point did but we already have Surf Dog. From there, I feel like an Alp-themed Himalaya would be nice across from the Festhaus. An entrance arch at the Coney Mall, International Street, and Action Zone entrances would be nice too. Finally, they could make the Festhaus glockenspiel operational again and put some string lights in to bring the area to life at night. Having the biergarten along with a lighting package would probably make that area come to life at night.

• Like 3

Kings Island might get a Flying Scooters but I wish we'd get an Intamin Mega Splash. Imagine Kings Island with Perilous Plunge. Ours should be the tallest, fastest, and longest in the world.

Yeah, that could happen.

I'd put the chances of that happening for 2015 at something like 1 in 6 quadrillion. Or less.

• Like 1