Disney Underground

That's so true...Thank you for reminding me of the uniqueness of Disneyland. I truly want to go back someday soon. It's been about 8 years now.....hmmmm guess I better start planning for this one. Yes I had forgotten the pirate ship...until now and the pan/captain hook battle...wow that just gave me cold chills.

• Like 1

You know...it's funny I have been a member of this site for years but never really posted until this year....I missed out on a lot....oh well here's to a new future with all of the new friends I hope to make!

Keep posting about Disney Shaggy!!!! I think you can tell it's one of my favorite subjects to talk about!!!!

Nighty night fellows!

• Like 2

Speaking of parades... many think that the floats are "driven" by eye down Main Street and controlled completely from within each float.

However, they are actually controlled via a sophisticated sensor and satallite system.

Seriously.

There are sensors embedded in the pavement that align the floats, spacing them properly and triggering the sound systems within. They are monitored via a control station elsewhere in the park that relays the speed and direction of the floats. There are still drivers in each float, but they simply mantain the need for a back-up for malfunctions or emergency.

Also, certain windows on the upper floors of Main Street open automatically when a parade nears to reveal hidden speakers. As the parade passes, the windows close mechanically. This too is triggered by sensor.

Shaggy

As a former magic kingdom cast member this was the only thing you said that I already didn't know. Thanks for the education

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk 4

Actually, KI doesn't have utilidors, but when KI was a true theme park you were only allowed to walk certain paths to get to your themed areas. You had to walk from a gate near first aid and then you took a path between International Street and Boo Hill ( you can see the path from the tower.) All Coney Mall, and Octoberfest, and Rivertown employees had to walk that path to get to our work locations and keep the themes consistent. When the park gave up the themed costumes, the area became a rolling dumpster location, this you can also see from the tower.

• Like 4

I'll also volunteer to be on your WDW challenge team. I was on the college program in 93-94 and know quite a bit about the parks. Utiilidors also exist in limited form at EPCOT under future world, though they aren't really arent as well concealed as the ones in the MK. As for the behind the scenes tour, if you can get a look at the fabrication shop behind the MK it is truly awesome. That is where all floats are made for every Disney park all over the world. There is also a shop in the utilidors under the MK where merchandise is sold at a vast discount to cast members. Such merchandise is usually flawed (sometimes minutely), but unless you have a sharp eye, you wouldn't know.

When I worked there, the shop was only open one day a week for several hours, so cast members would line up early for best selection. The cast member cafe is also located under the fantasyland section and is heavily subsidized. The same food sold in the parks can be had for what was then about $0.35 on the dollar. Finally the utilidors are color coded for each land (purple was for FL. green was Main Street, Yellow as AL, Blue was TL, Orange was FL, Red for LS. you'll often see me post in Disney topics on here. There are a couple of us on the boards who were CPers as well.

• Like 6

Park hopping back to the Magic Kingdom :)....Did you ever ride Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter before it became the Stich Escape disaster? It most definitely was not for children and totally out of place in the MK....If you rode it, what did you think?

Park hopping back to the Magic Kingdom :)....Did you ever ride Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter before it became the Stich Escape disaster? It most definitely was not for children and totally out of place in the MK....If you rode it, what did you think?

Yes. It was definitely a more intense experience. I think it fit the theme of tomorrowland quite well actually. The original concept was another Eisner decision. He def catered more to the thrill seeker audience. Once Disney began tying in more rides to its movies, the ride was renamed and toned down.

• Like 1

Do they give behind the scenes tours at Animal Kingdom? At one time they were doing nighttime safaris because that is when the animals are active, but I think it would be fun to tour the savannah and see the animals up close.

Go on WDW's website and I believe there is a section for behind the scenes tours. There are many to choose from at various price points.

• Like 1

Yes. It was definitely a more intense experience. I think it fit the theme of tomorrowland quite well actually. The original concept was another Eisner decision. He def catered more to the thrill seeker audience. Once Disney began tying in more rides to its movies, the ride was renamed and toned down.

Toned down? That's an understatement ;-)

Snzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I tell everyone to skip it. It's a complete waste of time, and beneath Disney... but then so is the Stitch Character. He's every bit as annoying as their other bottom tier character - Roger Rabbit.

• Like 2

I'd love to see a reincarnation of the Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter pop up at Disney's Hollywood park. I have to agree about the Stich ride. At one point the character burps a chili dog and onion smell in your face....for the rest of the trip (seriously) I got nauseated from anything that remotely had the same smell ...blech. Whatever the chemical scent was...it was potent.

• Like 1

One ride on Stich Encounter was plenty enough for me for a lifetime! I remember taking my sister, who passed two years ago, to ride the ETerror Encounter and we were surprised at how simple the concept was....it was all sound, and touch and extremely creepy! Personally I think the concept would transition greatly to a new ride or haunt simply and effectively.

Does Disney ever bring back past concepts for rides?

• Like 1

Snzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I tell everyone to skip it. It's a complete waste of time, and beneath Disney... but then so is the Stitch Character. He's every bit as annoying as their other bottom tier character - Roger Rabbit.

How can you hate Roger Rabbit? That movie was pure genius!

Lilo and Stitch was funny as well (as was the spin-off TV series), though not as good as Roger Rabbit.

• Like 2

One ride on Stich Encounter was plenty enough for me for a lifetime! I remember taking my sister, who passed two years ago, to ride the ETerror Encounter and we were surprised at how simple the concept was....it was all sound, and touch and extremely creepy! Personally I think the concept would transition greatly to a new ride or haunt simply and effectively.

Does Disney ever bring back past concepts for rides?

Yes. The carousel of progress was based on an exhibit at the 1964 World's Fair. Also, past elements sometimes get incorporated into new rides-see: Splash Mountain for example.

• Like 1

Snzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

How can you hate Roger Rabbit? That movie was pure genius!

Lilo and Stitch was funny as well (as was the spin-off TV series), though not as good as Roger Rabbit.

Indeed, a Roger Rabbit sequel has been talked about for years. At the time, the concept was groundbreaking and a sequel at the time was deemed too $$ to make. Given today's 3-D technology, I'm certain the movie sequel could be made, provided Disney gets (pays) clearances to use some of Warner's (and others) characaters. I liked Roger! (puh puh puh puh pllllleeeease Eddie!)

• Like 1

I LOATHE Roger Rabbit and Stiches voices... that's my main source of disdain for the characters.

But even so, I don't think those characters will ever have the staying power that so many other Disney characters will. Heck, RRabbit hasn't been an active costume character for over a dozen years.

• Like 1

Yet old Disney characters bring up lots of nostalgia with park guests (older park guets with lots of disposable income and a fondness for said characters) It's the main reason why Disney is bringing a lot of the 'on hiatus' characters back in Limited Time Magic form anyway. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roger make a return to celebrate the next DVD release of Who Framed Roger Rabbit whenever that day is.

• Like 1

there was a point where there seemed to be so many new cartoons that there were so many new characters showing up in the parks, I had to ask who they were. for instance Hurcules, Brave and the Princess and the frog.I didnt see these movies... and I'm not sure any of these characters are even in the parks now. I wouldn't reconize most of them now.

^Merida (from Brave) and Tiana (from Princess and the Frog) are in Magic Kingdom. Merida can be found at Fairy Tale Garden (to the right side of Cinderella's castle, near Cosmic Ray's), and Tiana can be found near the Liberty Square Bridge. We saw them both there last month. There was quite a long line to see Merida so we just saw her from afar, and when we saw Tiana we were a little shocked to see how short her line was. We headed towards the end of the line, where we were informed that Tiana was about to take a short break and they had cut off the line, so that explained why it was so short.

Hercules is no longer commonly seen in the parks.

Yet old Disney characters bring up lots of nostalgia  with park guests (older park guets with lots of disposable income and a fondness for said characters) It's the main reason why Disney is bringing a lot of the 'on hiatus' characters back in Limited Time Magic form anyway.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Roger make a return to celebrate the next DVD release of Who Framed Roger Rabbit whenever that day is.

Roger Rabbit was released on Blu-ray earlier this year...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite rides at Disneyland is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom....do you think Disney world will ever get this attraction, and if so which park would be most appropriate for the attraction?

As I understand it, Dinosaur at AK is WDW's answer to Indiana Jones.

One of my favorite rides at Disneyland is Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom....do you think Disney world will ever get this attraction, and if so which park would be most appropriate for the attraction?

As I understand it, Dinosaur at AK is WDW's answer to Indiana Jones.

Darn it...It's a fun ride but it's not even close to Temple of Doom. There was a rumor floating around a couple of years ago about a Monster's University coaster ride based on the dream doors....now that would be fun!!! Have you heard anything about that?

• Like 1