Why does delirium break down so often?

thoe124

From what I gathered from the giant frisbees, you have downtime for finding the home location of both the pendulum and the seats, also guest illness is common, and lastly...just huss stuff. They have some maint. issues, some they don't.

I will say though that ride has the one of the coolest control panels out there though, awesome touch screen.

I had the "enjoyable" experience of being stuck on Delirium. We rode the ride and everything seemed like a normal cycle until the ride stopped. It seemed to jolt a little once it was trying to lock itself in place, the platforms didn't come up. As soon as I knew we had waited about three seconds too long, the recording came on stating that the ride was experiencing significant delays as maintenance crews were coming to fix the issue. The ride operator joked and laughed with all of us, even after someone called him out for "pushing the wrong button". (didn't know if it was an E-stop, although i assumed with the jolt). It took maintenance about 15 minutes to come, but in the meantime there were about 10 (I kid you not) managers that came up and were walking around the ride asking how everyone was doing and playing around with them. Once the crews got there they were able to fix the problem within 30 seconds and after we got off they ran a blank run and reopened the ride. It was my first experience with a breakdown at a park.

• Like 1

Delirium is a giant mechanical device that requires engines strong enough to safely swing and spin an enormous pendulum holding 50 riders with no counterweight and requires brakes strong enough to hault the intertia developed by the movement - over, and over, and over day after day, month after month, year after year.

In addition, it has an extremely complicated computer control and safety system that runs through a battery of checks and balances to make sure the unit is operating precisely and with no danger to guests.

Needless to say, that's a lot to ask of ANY mechanical device - thus problems will happen, and downtime will happen.

Shaggy

• Like 6

Not to mention even the smallest error will normally shut down a ride. Even just an inch off being in the home base could make the ride lock out. Not sure how overly sensitive Delirium is, but I assume that it may be with how often it seems to go down. I've visited plenty of times when the ride has closed at different points throughout the day.

Still not as much downtime as WindSeeker however haha

Which may be very true... However, minus Knott's ride, I think they've all improved considerably. Aside from the company-wide shutdown, KI really has been blessed with halfway decent reliability. (side note on top of another side note, Screamscape reported that Knott's may have to completely remove their WindSeeker ride since CalOSHA won't approve the ride's evacuation procedure, following their spree with the ride getting stuck. Now that's a bad situation to be in!)

Whenever the topic of Delirium comes up, I always remember how maXair at CP seems to run so much better. The ride feels much less shaky than Delirium. It would be interesting to know the differences, if any, between the two.

The difference? Probably the main difference is that Delirium was the first.

MaxAir has had it's share of downtime too. Seems to me I recall it being down for a good portion of the start of it's 2nd year of operation.

Whenever the topic of Delirium comes up, I always remember how maXair at CP seems to run so much better. The ride feels much less shaky than Delirium. It would be interesting to know the differences, if any, between the two.

The difference? Probably the main difference is that Delirium was the first.

MaxAir has had it's share of downtime too. Seems to me I recall it being down for a good portion of the start of it's 2nd year of operation.

That's very true it did have a lot of downtime in the 2nd year and MaxAir seems to have a longer program than Delirium as well. When Delirium first opened the rotation and starting direction was opposite from what it is now, anyone at the photo shoot remember this...or am I nuts? (second part of that of that question not with standing...)

• Like 1