Season Passes

fanofFirehawk

My sister told me that she heard the passes only get you into Kings Island till Labor Day then you can't use them unless you renew then for next year other than for the haunt. Can someone please inform me on this

Regular (non-Gold) 2013 season passes will only allow you into the park through Labor Day. https://www.visitkingsisland.com/ticket-category/Season-Passes#

2013 Gold and Platinum season passes will allow you into the park through closing day, October 27th.

I wonder if that price will be universal across all the parks. Cedar Point, with its separately gated water park, could benefit from charging a bit more for their Platinum Pass for those locals that want to enjoy both Cedar Point and their Soak City water park.

In my opinion, that price point is getting a bit high. I mean, it means you essentially are paying about $100 more for a platinum pass, which means you need to visit at least three times, in order to make it worth it to get a Platinum Pass. I still wish that they would offer some across the board discounts on food for Platinum Pass holders like 10% off of food purchases in the parks.

• Like 6

^ CP locals actually got discounts not available elsewhere in the country. The Sandusky Meijer was still selling 2013 platinum passes for $179, even after the price at the parks increased to $195.

Since platinum offers the benefits of staying at a CP resort all season long, it is a premium product. For people like myself who are equidistant to both parks, it's a very good value even at $180. Competition and distance make it a less obvious choice for Cincinnatians. The extra $100 could go a long ways towards a season pass at Dollywood or Holiday World, and KI has many similar offerings to CP's.

On the other hand, platinum is a rather poor value in many markets. The other Cedar Fair parks are widely scattered, and platinum costs many visitors more than buying gold at each of their two closest parks. Not allowing (non-platinum) passholders of non-resort parks into other non-resort parks could be a missed revenue opportunity.

I agree with you about food, at Cedar Point at least. For guests paying a premium to make multiple visits, the value delivered per food dollar should be higher. If passholders are choosing not to dine on Point, FUN is losing revenue.

• Like 3

That's what I figured, I know how to get a much better deal without a platinum pass at Breakers. Call the same day your going in the morning and ask for a supervisor, I have actually called from the parking lot! If they can't hook you up I would just stay at another hotel. Maybe I'm just lucky but this has never failed me and I have saved hundreds of dollars total by not booking online. People cancel or they have rooms empty, better to make some money than no money.

Since platinum offers the benefits of staying at a CP resort all season long, it is a premium product.

What are the benefits you get?

Free parking and early entry. And as Terp said, the platinum pass has been the only way to purchase season-long parking at CP in recent seasons. (Before that there were window stickers, which employees up there still have. Putting parking on a pass is much better.)

If you mean the benefits you get while staying at a resort while also holding a platinum pass, then what YoungStud said.

The benefits of staying at a resort at only 10% is what I was looking for, I might go platinum next season. I wonder if I would still be able to get a cheaper rate than 10% by calling the same morning and they have empty rooms? They have hooked me up good with single day passes with ERT, a room, and free parking several times, but they might have set standards with a platinum pass holder?

Yeah but if I decide to go Platinum, I wouldn't stay the night but occasionally, but would visit CP much more often. I did save over 100 dollars the other day by booking the same day through a supervisor than if I booked online. Edit: This worked out well for me and them, because I stayed at Breakers instead of another hotel and the money I saved I spent in the park instead of packing food in the hotel.

Can anyone explain why CP passes get more perks than KI? They get an hour ERT and many, many more food discounts. Yeas, it costs more but it looks like the extra expense is quickly recovered.

And why do they get Corn Dogs and Fried Cheese!?!?! (taken from the perks page)

• Like 1

10% off rack rates.

And that's 10% off the 'standard' rack rates - not the online deals. We did use some of the BOGOs there this year with platinum passes though, which saved us a fair amount of money (free brat with a brat combo for example, at the Johnsonville cart). I've never tried the 'call from the parking lot' thing, too much of a chicken. Need to know I have a place to crash when I get there!

We'll still probably do Platinum though. CP is close enough for at least a weekend trip, and we've done Carowinds and Kings Dominion in years past. Had a BLAST, and the parking is free at those parks too, if you have it on your pass.

• Like 1

Can anyone explain why CP passes get more perks than KI? They get an hour ERT and many, many more food discounts. Yeas, it costs more but it looks like the extra expense is quickly recovered.

Only holders of a Platinum Pass, which IIRC costs the same at all parks, get those perks at CP. Regular passholders get nothing but admission, and CP does not have a Gold level, only regular and Platinum.

jbum123, on 29 Aug 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Kings Island ride operators have posted on here saying that with an hour ERT, they would sometimes sit in an empty station for half an hour before people would start showing up to ride.

Cedar Point also has the ERT for the resort people, and there is no shortage of people to fill up an hour there.

I'm confused with you on the food discounts...I would guess Kings Island's perks are directed towards the gold pass (and just include platinum as the same perks).

All the food deals are things like buy a whole pizza, four whole chickens and a diet cola, or get a discount on 4 salads, but platinum pass holders probably aren't as interested in that as a gold pass family would be.

CP deals are good for small groups or even a single person to use, and they probably want to sell as many platinum pass holders as they can get, so they offer more.