Photos Now UP! - Cedar Point Thursday/Friday 22nd/23rd

Ki Man

So I'll post some more thoughts and pictures later; Millennium Force, Maverick, Dragster, Raptor, Gemini, etc were all running fantastic as usual. There were no crowds on Thursday, I believe because storms were forecasted - but for in the evening and it didn't end up raining until 10. I got Fast Lane on Friday and ended up getting double digit rides on everything. Five rides on Dragster. A few in the front, the rest in the back.

New is Gatekeeper. The last wingcoaster in the USA for me to ride. Oh boy.

The front entrance is very refreshed and nice looking, a lot more open so it doesn't bottleneck. I like the plaza for the ride as well. I actually thought the best part of the ride was the inversion next to the keyhole; had a nice little snap to it. But it rattled/bounced unlike X Flight or Wild Eagle (Which were both very smooth) and Gatekeeper was pretty smooth in row 2, bouncy/rattle-y in row 4, and really uncomfortably rattle-y in the back row. It didn't matter the inside or outside seat.

The ride just kind of shakes you, so you shimmy down further into your seat so the restraints can boa-constrict tighter against you from what I experienced. My most pleasant experience is row 2. It's a beautiful project and looks very nice, is fun to take pictures of; but I'm not happy with it, especially compared to my other fun rides I've had on Wild Eagle and X Flight.

I'm not going to hold the vest off of my chest for the whole ride; I shouldn't have to do that, I want to be able to put my arms up and have fun! Sigh. I really hope Banshee's restraints aren't bad like these next year. It sucks because I want to ride the ride, but I'll come off it complaining; I love the keyhole, the immelmans, etc because it's something different and it's got a fantastic location. But that back row ride I had was one of the worst coaster experiences I've had in the last couple years.
Overall I'd give it a 3.5/10. If I was comfortable the whole ride it'd be a 6/10.

• Like 3

Great Trip Report!

Though I rarely use the front entrance I do agree that the new Entrance really adds something, and make the midway a lot more sleek.

I didn't really notice the rattling on Gatekeeper, though on that I usually sit towards the front. But the restraints, more specify the vest part.

It is really annoying I actually just hold, because if I don't I can't breathe it gives my chest no room to expand. Attempting to breathe it still freaking tightening, and hurts. I will be very upset if I will have to undergo this on Banshee.

I was at CP 21st and 22nd, everything was less than a 20 minute wait except for maverick. I like Gatekeeper the new main entrance and being able to see the beach more is great, that area seems less cluttered than it was with space spiral and disaster transport.. I'd have to say my favorite spot is back row, left side, outside seat.. My favorite part of the ride has to be the wing over drop into the Immelmann loop after the MCBR the ride becomes boring. I haven't had issues with shuffling on Gatekeeper its more noticeable on Diamondback for me its not an issue i don't consider the shuffling rough... I do and don't like the new restraints, i like fact there is no head banging, like raptor. But the restraints are very uncomfortable on the collarbones. Therefor i hardly do back to back riding...

So you don't want to enjoy the ride, but you want to enjoy the ride at the same time? :)

I think it is probably more work to put your arms up on that ride than to hold the straps, but it is different for everyone so I could be wrong. I encourage you to give it a try if you get the chance!

Also, that is an awesome picture.

....Arrows do this alot more than Maverick does...So it's not Intamin engineering, it's been around for alot longer.

Also mind you the wheels are meant to NOT do this except very briefly, as they have mechanisms to keep the wheels as close to the track as possible (spring loaded)

OI. I will not have a This vs. That discussion in my thread. Look at the pretty pictures. Comment, criticize them. Talk about Cedar Point's rides. Thank you :) And no, of course I didn't literally mean Maverick's wheels are off the track the whole ride. Just on the airtime hills.

• Like 2

I honestly thought Maverick was running much smoother than it was in 2009; when the back row was very vibrate-y. I was pleasantly surprised. The last time we were there the car came back with a shredded wheel; but hey I forgot how wild the ride was, it's absolutely amazing. It's crazy good and I love it for what it is. I think it's Intamin's finest ride for sure. It's definitely my favorite steel.

That's how you get more people into the gates of your park and remembering your rides.

• Like 4

Another note, Magnum is unbearable. Those restraints are completely out dated, and I don't know how they run that ride! It crushes your thighs.

Your thighs are the wrong size.

Seriously: if your thighs are the wrong size, you will get stapled every time and end up in lots of pain. Try bulking up your thighs slightly to make it harder for the lap bar to staple you. Or, if your thighs are already on the larger side, slim them down a little bit. Either way, don't go too far or you'll be back in the same situation with the next click. The key is to be in between clicks, such that the last click you get in the station leaves only a small amount of space between your leg and the lap bar, which isn't enough to allow it to compress your leg enough for the stapling click at the bottom of the first drop.

How about this, leave room in the restraint and don't staple haha, then hold the bar up..

But ah well...Alot of people have problems with restraints, I haven't been on one ride that was just uncomfortable always...maybe random positional uncomfort such as mantis at times, but nothing where I say, wow that was terrible..

Must have a gifted body or something I guess :P