Carowinds will be investing $50 million in the next three years!

Several manufacturers are making incredible coasters right now. Branch out, try something new.

To partially go with the sentences that I just quoted above......

I cannot stress enough about how much I would like to see not necessarily other Cedar Fair parks (because some already have done it), but Kings Island in specific, get a GCI wooden coaster. Kings Island is definitely lacking a modern wooden roller coaster. I mean, Yes, we do have The Beast, which is arguably the best wooden roller coaster of all-time, but I believe we are very much lacking as far as variety goes in our wooden coasters. We have The Racer, The Beast, Woodstock Express, and .......What Else?

In my opinion we are just in need of a modern wooden roller coaster, and the best people to do that would be GCI, considering some of the good work they have been doing in the past years. To branch off of what APE said, in certain aspects, Kings Island needs to branch out and try something modern and new in the (real) wooden coaster world. Not to "SOB" standards but definitely to "modern" standards. Kings Island was once one of the best parks to visit if you were a wooden coaster fan, and in ways it still is, but there are others that a wooden coaster fan could go to get their variety of woodies in. We have a great steel coaster selection, with just about every type of steel coaster that one could want to ride, but we are far lacking in the wooden category.

....Anyway, I would personally like to see Kings Island become "The Place To Be" for wooden roller coaster variety, once again.

(Sorry for talking so much about KI coasters in the Carowinds discussion :P )

• Like 3

Tomorrow's the big day for the Carowinds announcement! And based on the background in this picture (unless it's just to throw people off, but I doubt it is) you can see what looks like a honeycomb pattern in the background, as well as a faint silhouette of a bee/hornet type creature. Add in the blue color of the background along with the color of the track spotted at the park, and I'd say it's pretty much confirmed that their coaster will be called Fury 325 and will have the hornet theme to it.

10393543_10152628292973599_8775933790018

https://www.facebook.com/carowindspark/photos/a.10151648123373599.1073741826.91085023598/10152628292973599/?type=1&theater

• Like 2

If and when RMC converts Racer or Beast, but they are steel there, I'm gonna portion out some of the blame to the RMC fanbois on this board.

SFGAm's Goliath is great fun. It is by no means a wood coaster. It doesn't look like one, it doesn't sound like one, it doesn't ride like one, and, most importantly to Six Flags Entertainment Corporation, it doesn't require the maintenance of one. Wood coaster my foot.

• Like 10

I'm inclined to agree since this is also my stance- with Son of Beast gone, Kings Island does IMO need a new, modern wooden coaster. And my view on the companies that could do it...

Intamin: I'd like them to do it the most, but it's the least likely to happen. An El Toro type wooden coaster would be incredible and add some serious thrills to the coaster selection at Kings Island, and could be built very large and thus with its wooden structure have a profound impact on the park's skyline. And, with Intamin's Prefabs being uber-smooth, you would not get the "it's rough!" complaints at all. The problem and why it likely would not happen is simple- Cedar Fair and Intamin are not really anywhere near on the same page right now, especially since nearly every Intamin installed in the last few years has had some sort of issues.

GCI: The most likely choice, since Cedar Fair does go to them whenever they have wanted a wooden coaster in recent years and rides like Prowler & Gold Striker have been met with solid reviews. And GCI seems to be suggesting they may be willing to start building larger (150+ foot tall) wooden coasters, which would be right up the alley of a larger park like Kings Island as it could be built to run 3 trains then instead of GCI's "normal" two. They have also worked with Kings Island in the past, but not on any coasters. They also specialize in "Twister" type woodies, which would compliment Beast (terrain) & Racer (out-and-back+racing) well.

RMC: A 3rd option, more likely than Intamin but less than GCI. Though this would really be a steel coaster in disguise, just looking somewhat like a woodie. And if it is like Goliath @ SFGam it wouldn't even do that. But there is a slim chance Cedar Fair could actually talk RMC into doing a real woodie...but I have no idea how that would turn out.

Gravity Group: Option #4, and one of the more unlikely ones. While many of their rides are top-rated, the larger designs like Hades & Voyage have shown to need insane amounts of TLC to continue to run well and Kings Island may not be willing to put up with that- especially with 3 other woodies and numerous steel coasters to take care of as well.

One thing that has been brought up in the past- and I'll say it again here as well- it also that the park will likely not want to do another wooden coaster until the memories of Son of Beast are very, very faded at least. That ride left a negative mark on the park's wooden coaster reputation and it will likely be a while before the GP is ready to accept a new wooden coaster (though many- especially on here- would know immediatley this new woodie would have nothing to do with SOB and be excited for it I assume). So the park's next major coaster will likely be steel. What type, I am not sure- B&M would be very likely due to how well their rides have been recieved here, but if the park does want some variety they could go with Mack or something...

• Like 3

TheBEASTunchained:

And what wood coaster variety is there at Great Advencha? There's El Toro and ...

Terp, who will NOT get over it.

During my small "lecture" on wooden coasters, I was mainly directing the focus to Kings Island, but now that you brought up the wooden coaster situation at NJFTP....

Sadness.

It is sad to see, sad to hear, and sad to think about where SIX is with their (lack of) wooden coasters at the moment. Looking into the future, its sad to think about what future generations will come to know as a "wooden roller coaster", steel coasters such as Goliath at SFGA will become known as wooden roller coasters while REAL wooden coasters (the remaining ones) will be looked at as "the old ones". NJFTP lost A WHOLE LOT when making the decision to remove Rolling Thunder. Not necesarily money, but a wooden coaster variety of some sort, is what was lost.

In general, SIX is helping to diminish a majority of the wooden roller coaster population in the US and fill it with RMC creations. Letting RMC Steel the glory of wooden roller coasters will only last for so long. I believe and hope that an end will come to the "wooden coaster" madness that is taking place currently within the SIX chain. If they are to "give the people what they want", then eventually the people are going to want a wooden roller coaster, a real one........

....Or maybe I'm being too hopeful......

SFGAm's Goliath is great fun. It is by no means a wood coaster. It doesn't look like one, it doesn't sound like one, it doesn't ride like one, and, most importantly to Six Flags Entertainment Corporation, it doesn't require the maintenance of one. Wood coaster my foot.

That was very well said Terp, I couldn't agree more.

• Like 6

^
On the SIX Wooden Coaster topic, I have to agree 100%- they need to slow down and reconsider their "war on wood", if it's RMC remakes or pure destruction...the classic wooden coaster, aka no prefab stuff or topper track, has its place among traditional amusement parks. When I think of an amusement park in vague, a traditional wooden coaster is one of the first things that pops in my head, and if I were actually hired to build and run my own park building a signature wooden coaster (or possibly more) would be near the top of my to-do list during park construction.

What I fear further fuels SIX's desire to remove many of its wooden coasters is that there seems to be a growing trend of park-goers who could care less or would even WANT their parks to remove their older wooden coasters. One such case of this: I was Facebook once, and a Cedar Point post was in my feed. They had just posted a new POV of Blue Streak, and I just had to read the comments, and then one of them shocked me...it was along the lines of "Stupid Wooden Coaster. It needs torn down 'cuz its rough and boring." This was not Mean Streak, mind you, it was Blue Streak- a coaster generally considered by most a hidden gem and usually rated well by enthusiasts. Of course, to my relief, at least a few people responded in Blue Streak's defense but the mere fact that such people exist scares me because if they are or become the norm- the ones who are constantly visiting parks like Cedar Point, Kings Island, Six Flags etc.- the parks will just go where the money is and will just remove these rides if there is no demand for them. As a fan of classic wooden coasters, this scares me. The modern wooden stuff like RMC's and Intamin Prefabs? I have nothing against them, or steel coasters in general- in fact I also enjoy them a lot- but those should exist alongside the classic-style wooden coasters, not replace them. Adds more variety to a park that way too.

• Like 3

I seriously doubt you would ever see KI "RMC" Beast or Racer...There is absolutely no need to. They are not problematic and or poorly maintained. SOB would have been a far more likely candidate and we saw what happened there. When I say I would like to see an RMC at KI I am talking about a built from scratch new ride, which is what I thought we were discussing. I don't care if you call it wood or steel, as long as it is fun. As far as a traditional woodies are concerned, I would love a GCI twister like Thunderhead. I love that ride. For steel how about Chance? A bigger/longer version of Lightning Run would be epic, especially if you could work in some of KI's hilly terrain (ok maybe something like that already exists in Pittsburgh, but that is a long drive).

• Like 4

^^^
True- RMC's coasters are very, very unique. I guess I can see SOME wooden coasters getting this treatment- woodies that, in spite of constant overhauls and attempts at tradtional upkeep just can't seem to be "fixed" due to a design problem or something. Texas Giant and Rattler, in this case, made sense. Those rides were going to be insanely expensive to run long-term, and were according to many becoming painfully rough. In cases like that, RMC gives parks an option to revive rides that were otherwise un-saveable. Now, doing this to a "normal" wooden coaster just for the sake of saving a bit on upkeep...not cool. Or demolishing the woodie as whole (RIP Rolling Thunder)- even worse.

Now, a brand-new RMC, like Outlaw Run, Golitah, or Wildfire (coming to Europe in 2015)? I have zero problem with those at all- they (usually) aren't destroying anything in order to be built. (Though Six Flags Great America did remove Iron Wolf to build Goliath...though Iron Wolf does still live on as Apocalypse). Though wether they are wood or steel is still up in the air.

• Like 4