Six Flags: New for 2014

Sad to see Rolling Thunder leaving at Six Flags Great Adventure. I really enjoyed that ride on my visit there. But Zumanjaro looks pretty intense! A drop ride from 415 feet at 90 miles an hour! It is also neat how the ride is situated right in between Kingda Ka and on the same side of the launch track. When I had heard rumors about this ride, I thought that the drop ride would be on the side facing away from the launch track.

• Like 2

Taering down Rolling Thunder for a drop ride BY KINGDA KA?. :angry:

The Park just put this out.

Also, Some Sad News:

To make room for the newest addition to Six Flags Great Adventure, we must bid farewell to a classic. Rolling Thunder, our classic wooden coaster, will close to the public on September 8 to help make way for construction of the new ride. New technological advances and preferences have created a new generation of thrill rides, and Rolling Thunders popularity has decreased over the years. Be sure to tackle this coasters 85-foot drop and 10 dipping hills before it slips into history.

Just got done watching the announcements; Goliath and Medusa definitely look awesome! :D Hard to believe Great America has put in 2 new coasters (and have just announced a third) since I last visited... Also, Demon (LaRonde) and Extreme Supernova (Great Escape) look pretty cool too.

• Like 1

Surf dog is not a coaster.

Hats off to six flags for mixing family rides with thrill rides. Six flags new england's swings puts the WindSeeker clones to shame.

I will be buying a six flags season pass for my family for next season.

Then tell that to Don and KI. Its not my job to decide what counts as a coaster and what doesn't; its not in your job discription either.

• Like 2

I used to think surf dog was a coaster also, but if the power goes out the ride stops not really to much fun. I have been on a coaster with the power getting shut off before it still works after some pushing from the nice maintenance crew at Cedar Point.

• Like 1

I used to think surf dog was a coaster also, but if the power goes out the ride stops not really to much fun. I have been on a coaster with the power getting shut off before it still works after some pushing from the nice maintenance crew at Cedar Point.

There's not much fun in ANY roller coaster without power.

• Like 1

Surf Dog would work quit well with a push, it just doesn't travel as far.

You could push the great pumpkin coaster up the hill and it would complete a cycle, but you'd have to push it up the hill again for it to complete the typical 2 cycles it runs. How is that any different?

Hmm...I'll do a 1-by-1 breakdown:

Goliath @ SFGam: This one, for the most part, looks awesome. 165 feet tall, 180 foot drop, 72mph...the animation made it look a bit too much like a Iron Horse coaster though, which confused me, but apparently it is topper track...I kind of at least hope that the track isn't painted orange-ish like the video and is natural-looking like Outlaw Run's track. The inversions and overbanked turns here look crazy...it does look a wee bit on the short side, and I am not a huge fan of the name (too many Goliaths already, Six Flags, come up with something else next time!) but overall this looks like probably the most interesting of the 2014 Six Flags additions. Wait a second...72mph...it has inversions...are we working our way back towards another SOB-sized wooden coaster with inversions? If so, hope it works the second time around...

Medusa Steel Coaster @ SF Mexico: OK...the name for this one is just horrible...they just took the old name and added "Steel Coaster" to it. Lame. Alas, this will be the 3rd "Iron Horse" coaster in the Six Flags chain, following Texas Giant and Iron Rattler, and the first that was formerly a CCI creation...in fact, so far, no company has had 2 of their coasters turned into Iron Horse coasters- we have 1 Dinn, 1 RCCA, and now 1 CCI...as for the ride itself, it should be great, given the reputations of the first 2 Iron Horse coasters for ride experience...with 5 coasters now under their belt, it is safe to say RMC is making themselves known in the world of wooden and steel/wood hybrid coasters...

Hurricane Harbor @ SF Over Georgia: Wow, they are adding an entire waterpark to this one. Alas, it makes me wonder- will this waterpark possibly hurt White Water, the nearby waterpark that is out-of SFOG? We will have to wait and see...

New Mardi Gras Area @ SF America: Well, looks like the rumor I heard of Ragin' Cajun may have some truth to it- this is one I overlooked at first, but seeing Ragin' Cajun show up here makes me wonder- is the SFGam ride really being relocated, or is this a new ride by the same name? (If anyone knows, please tell)

New England Skyscreamer @ SFNE: OK, this is supposed to be record breaking at 400', but doesn't it just tie with Texas Skyscreamer, or is it just a wee bit bigger? Anyway, these Skyscreamers are just crazy...and to think this is a ride Cedar Fair rejected in favor of the problematic WindSeekers...well, Six Flags really seems happy with them, I expect one of these will soon be in EVERY Six Flags park.

Tsunami Soaker @ SFStl: OK, fun-looking family attraction, but I'm not super interesting so...moving on.

Bahama Blaster @ SFFT: New waterslide complex- looks like fun, but again not a "huge" addition so, moving on...

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom @ SFGadv: Holy cow, the SFGadv Drop Tower rumors were true- this 415 foot monster, attached to Kingda Ka, is sure to be one the most terror-inducing drop rides ever built. Along with Busch Gardens' Falcon's Fury, Drop Tower @ KI, once the most fearsome drop ride ever, has lost that status...I do like how they added a 3rd Drop Tower to increase capacity compared to Lex Luthor @ SFMM, too...but there is one complaint I have with this ride, and no, it's not the name- that actually is pretty good...

Rolling Thunder had to die for this WHY? :wacko: I don't see how Rolling Thunder was possibly in the way of this attraction...the q-line? I just don't know...perhaps Six Flags is just BS'ing and using this as an excuse to remove a ride with declining popularity. Sigh...well, I never knew ye, but since O'Terpy liked ye, RIP Rolling Thunder...

Bonzai Pipelines @ SF Hurricane Habor (LA): Another new waterslide complex- again, I'm not wasting much time on this though.

Kid's Area Expansion & Reverse Coasters @ SFMM: Nice that they thought of the kids, and 4 kiddie coasters is a record to me since I don't see Surf Dog type rides as coasters. As for the backwards coasters- good for Colossos, but after reading some reviews of backwards Batman, I have to wonder if this will continue too much longer as I heard that at SFGam, it made people sick to ride it...

Extreme Supernova @ Great Escape: MINI Delirium!!! :P Great fit for this small park. That is all here.

Tsunami Soaker @ SF Discovery Kingdom: See the one @ SFStl. Same here.

Kid's Area Expansion @ SF Over Texas: OK...not what I was told via rumors (was expecting a B&M Wing Rider here) but again, nice to see the kids getting something new.

Demon @ La Ronde: Top Spin...makes me think of what we could have in Crypt...anyhow, not a bad fit for this park.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS
Well, it's clear as day now what Six Flags likes- RMC wooden coasters and hybrids, waterpark expansions, and SkyScreamer rides. Nothing on this screams "I WAS SUPER-DUPER EXPENSIVE!" (no new large steel coasters here, and wooden coasters are generally cheaper than steel) the way a large steel coaster like Banshee, Gatekeeper, or Leviathan does but it's nice to see Six Flags spread their money around on cheaper investments to all their parks. Goliath @ SFGam is the most interesting of the bunch to me, since it is reasonably close and adds what should be an epic wooden coaster to that park- it's likely going to be a serious contender for best-new-ride 2014. (Not that there seems to be much competition this year in the USA, outside Kings Island's Banshee...)

Zumanjaro is next on my "interesting..." list, simply because you cannot ignore a 400+ foot drop ride. I do wish it could have been added without killing Rolling Thunder though. Next up would be Medusa: Steel Coaster, then the NE Skyscreamer...after that, it starts to get hard because these other additions as I'm just not that interested in them (too far away and mostly waterpark rides).

• Like 2