Six Flags: New for 2014

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom @ SFGadv: Holy cow, the SFGadv Drop Tower rumors were true- this 415 foot monster, attached to Kingda Ka, is sure to be one the most terror-inducing drop rides ever built. Along with Busch Gardens' Falcon's Fury, Drop Tower @ KI, once the most fearsome drop ride ever, has lost that status...I do like how they added a 3rd Drop Tower to increase capacity compared to Lex Luthor @ SFMM, too...but there is one complaint I have with this ride, and no, it's not the name- that actually is pretty good...

Rolling Thunder had to die for this WHY? :wacko: I don't see how Rolling Thunder was possibly in the way of this attraction...the q-line? I just don't know...perhaps Six Flags is just BS'ing and using this as an excuse to remove a ride with declining popularity. Sigh...well, I never knew ye, but since O'Terpy liked ye, RIP Rolling Thunder...

Zumanjaro looks AMAZING and I'm glad I'll get to ride it since I go to Great Adventure every year.

As for Rolling Thunder, I think many people saw this one coming especially with the latest rumors and messages sent out by the park advising people to get last rides on the coaster. It's sad, but here's why I think it will be removed.

For 2015 the park will get an X-Flight clone and it will be built in Rolling Thunder's location. I don't see why the park didn't just wait until next year to remove it (if this is the case), but maybe they just wanted to get it out of the way now as to not worry about it later. Unless the park plans on building an even larger coaster than an X-Flight-esque wing rider, so intead of closing Rolling Thunder only a month or two into the season to demolish it next year the park just wanted to get rid of it now.

I personally don't think the removal of RT has anything to do with Zumanjaro, but rather a future expansion/coaster. Time will only tell...

• Like 2

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom @ SFGadv: Holy cow, the SFGadv Drop Tower rumors were true- this 415 foot monster, attached to Kingda Ka, is sure to be one the most terror-inducing drop rides ever built. Along with Busch Gardens' Falcon's Fury, Drop Tower @ KI, once the most fearsome drop ride ever, has lost that status...I do like how they added a 3rd Drop Tower to increase capacity compared to Lex Luthor @ SFMM, too...but there is one complaint I have with this ride, and no, it's not the name- that actually is pretty good...

Rolling Thunder had to die for this WHY? :wacko: I don't see how Rolling Thunder was possibly in the way of this attraction...the q-line? I just don't know...perhaps Six Flags is just BS'ing and using this as an excuse to remove a ride with declining popularity. Sigh...well, I never knew ye, but since O'Terpy liked ye, RIP Rolling Thunder...

Zumanjaro looks AMAZING and I'm glad I'll get to ride it since I go to Great Adventure every year.

As for Rolling Thunder, I think many people saw this one coming especially with the latest rumors and messages sent out by the park advising people to get last rides on the coaster. It's sad, but here's why I think it will be removed.

For 2015 the park will get an X-Flight clone and it will be built in Rolling Thunder's location. I don't see why the park didn't just wait until next year to remove it (if this is the case), but maybe they just wanted to get it out of the way now as to not worry about it later. Unless the park plans on building an even larger coaster than an X-Flight-esque wing rider, so intead of closing Rolling Thunder only a month or two into the season to demolish it next year the park just wanted to get rid of it now.

I personally don't think the removal of RT has anything to do with Zumanjaro, but rather a future expansion/coaster. Time will only tell...

That actually makes a lot of sense...yes, I had heard the Rolling Thunder rumors as well and this was kind-of seen coming...I'm guessing that while Six Flags didn't add any major new steel coasters for 2014, 2015 will likely have some...mainly this rumored wingrider. Heck, SFGadv already has nearly every B&M model avaliable so far, save the Wingrider and Dive Machine...so it would make sense.

• Like 1

Somewhere, The Interpreter is crying.

I really didn't care for Rolling Thunder, but I have to admit I'm probably going to miss it. It added something nostalgic and small-park-ish to Great Adventure, and it's a bummer to see that replaced with something very big-park-ish whose experience could be replicated elsewhere. I'll feel very similarly about Skull Mountain and Runaway Mine Train when they go (except it'll be worse, because I actually love both of those rides.) The CCI fanboy in me cringes a little bit to see Medusa get changed despite the fact that I've never ridden it, but things happen, and the new ride looks really good.

Otherwise, it looks like a good lineup. Seems like a series of interesting additions appropriate for each park. If SFA is the size of park I'm thinking it is, I think Ragin' Cajun will fit in much better there than it does(n't) at Great America. Goliath looks very interesting... I guess I severely underestimated the size of Iron Wolf's footprint.

After finally getting the time to take a more complete look at the additions; I have my initial evaluation. The three additions I have the most interest in are Goliath, Medusa, and Zumanjaro.

First, Goliath. Wow. This looks amazing. And it's great to see the park get two major coasters in just three years after going so long without one. My only complaint is the use of Goliath again! Six Flags needs to get original and retire this name. Staying with RMC, Medusa comes in at second on my interest list. I never had interest in this coaster or Six Flags Mexico as a whole, but this is definitely bringing this foreign park to my attention. Six Flags really knows how great RMC is and I'm just waiting for FUN to hop onto that train. Zumanjaro is indeed very fun looking, but there is no way Rolling Thunder is being removed to make room for this. Like others, I believe Six Flags decided to remove it now is because they are using it's location for a major steel coaster in 2015.

The only other attractions that call attention to me is the newest Sky Screamer and the addition of a Hurricane Harbor so close to the White Water water park in Atlanta. I feel like it would of been much better to just put all the money into an expansion/ renovation of White Water. I also enjoyed the way CEO Jim Reid Anderson announced them all in the video. Makes me wonder how much better Cedar Point's video would have been with some enthusiastic employees versus that cheesy family.

• Like 1

Terp knows the future sometimes must be built on the past. It's Rich and Sue who are crying. And Terp now has one heck of a dilemma.

Last public rides. Rolling Thunder.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the day. It is.

First rides on Medusa, Kingda Ka, Nitro...

Sigh.

Last rides on what were for several years my favorite wooden coasters in all the world.

Mutter. Mutter.

• Like 7

This whole debate is going on right now about Pipe Scream for Cedar Point too haha. Coaster enthusiasts can get so worked up over such little things.

Though part of me does sort of wish PS will be considered a coaster. Not that the coaster count matters, it just would be nice to say.

OK, something I just had to think of...looking at the logo for it, instead of using the name Goliath, couldn't Six Flags Great America have called their new-for-2014 woodie...here's my name pitch...

The Gladiator.

But hey, I'm not the one naming this ride...Six Flags is. :P

• Like 4

Noticed that they were running a couple of the rides backswards this year.

So how does it work, running trains backwards on certain coasters (I've always wondered this)? I'm sure it depends on the ride, whether or not they can just flip a train around, but what "qualifies" a ride to be able to just run its trains backwards? Do any adjustments have to be made to the brakes or anything?

Also, will they run ALL trains backwards? Or just one, so others who want to ride it facing forward can too?

And will they flip the trains back the following season and pick another couple random coasters to run backwards?

I'm just so full of questions as to how this works and why KI doesn't do this (besides Racer)

• Like 3

KI doesn't do this, including on Racer since 2008, because Ohio law mandates that all amusement rides must be operated strictly in compliance with ALL manufacturer recommendations, meaning that trains cannot be turned backwards unless the manufacturer specifically recommends turning the train backwards.

KI doesn't do this, including on Racer since 2008, because Ohio law mandates that all amusement rides must be operated strictly in compliance with ALL manufacturer recommendations, meaning that trains cannot be turned backwards unless the manufacturer specifically recommends turning the train backwards.

That makes more sense now. I knew that there would be something preventing KI from saying "Hey, flip that Beast train around."