Six Flags: New for 2014

That wasn't the case on Batman: The Hurlinator or Viper when I was there July 4th. Maybe they're doing that on American Eagle?

They ran two for your visits?

Maybe they just wanted me to have longer lines :(

The fact that I was there on what has to be one of the busiest days of the year probably had something to do with it, too. ;) The waterpark actually reached capacity. If it weren't for Flash Pass, I probably wouldn't have gotten to all of the coasters, as most of them had completely full queues.

• Like 1

SFGAm is my hometown park, and it is really busy most of the time. There's some great times to go, but it's like they're intent is to keep the lines as long as possible. It can be super dead, and Raging Bull will still stack. They all stack constantly, and the staff has been crazy slow this year. When the Park opened this year Raging bull was running two trains, and namtaB(I hate that name) was running one train. I'm just sad Orbit's been broken for about half the season. Still a good time there though. Sorry for the rant guys, I just needed to vent.

• Like 2

With what's left in the season it's mainly the weekdays for fright fest. It's pretty much just like Kings Island with the good times to go. Monday-Wednesday, except in July, and August. Those will be horrible times no matter what. I typically Flash Pass it during those times. The first three weeks of the season are typically really dead. Oh except opening weekend, that was insanity this year. Hopefully next season they can get most of the trains on the track, and tested shortly after opening.

I'd like to point out a mistake in my first post. I meant Raging Bull was running two trains, but accidentally said backwards. My bad, I apologize. It took a few weeks for them to get three trains going.

If anyone is ever planning on going to Six Flags I never use the coupons from the coupon book. If I'm off work that day I'll go down there to get you in with one of my coupons. I'd have to be there because they require me to show my season pass which kinda sucks, but makes total sense. I've learned so much from this site that it's the least I could do.

• Like 1

Sorry I worked over 60 hours this week, so I'm kind of out of it. I meant the slow days are the weekdays for fright fest. October 17th, and 24th are thursdays. It's also open columbus day, but I think that might be busy depending on the weather. I stop considering fridays part of the weekend once school starts back up. The hours are shorter on weekdays, but I tend to get most of my rides, and haunts in during that time in October. Weekends are for pictures, and watching others get scared.

• 5 months later...

Hmm...reading about Goliath and looking over it, I've noticed something: the track has both steel and wood in it- wood below, topped with a layer of steel. And now so do the supports- some wood, some steel. This is, thus, quite possibly one of the more difficult coasters to place in either the "steel" or "wood" categories...so, for me personally, I am considering this a hybrid coaster, along with other steel-track-on-wood support rides, like New Texas Giant or Gemini. I'll even split that whole group off, so now (In my head at least), you have: Steel, Woodies, and Hybrids.

However, Goliath still gets a record, I think, under my new head-rulebook: it has the biggest & steepest drop and fastest speeds of any hybrid coaster out there. Though Iron Rattler beats it for height. :P (El Toro retains the largest drop and fastest speeds for wooden coasters under this system)

Just sharing my personal opinion.

• Like 5

^But if you'll notice under type, it still says under the hybrid (wooden supprts) that they're all steel coasters and for hybrid (steel supports), those are wooden coasters. RCDB goes by what the running rails are composed of (which I agree with), and they consider Goliath and Outlaw Run wooden coasters. I consider it a wooden coaster as most of the layers of the rails are still wood. The topper track just replaces the top 2 layers found on a typical wooden coaster with steel.

• Like 1

There comes a time when past categorizations we as a society used to sort things no longer make sense. I used to know what was wood, what was steel, what was a coaster--what was not. Then little doubts one by one came dancing in. First, there was, for me, what was, then, SFMM's Superman. Was it or wasn't it?

Then rcdb.com befuddled me by not classifying the two Tracey pretzels left as coasters, while having no problem saying Adventureland Iowa's dark ride is. My mind went back to INTAMIN first generation freefalls. How are those not coasters? Especially if that Superman is. Then came Top Thrill and Kingda Ka, in many ways just bigger, slightly different freefalls, one with a so-called airtime hill after the drop.

Then came El Toro. Then Topper track. And now Iron Horse. Some enthusiasts embraced a "hybrid" category for reasons I really don't get. The Coney Island Cyclone was happily wood for years. To me, it still was.

For me, at least, the wood/steel dichotomy no longer makes sense. Like Potter Stewart, I'm reduced to sputtering that I know wood when I see it. (Bad pun fully intended).

And Goliath? Wood? Either I must guffaw outrageously or give up any pretense of having any sane, defensible wood/steel Terp approved categorization system for rolley coasters.

• Like 10

I categorize attractions, and contraptions in certain ways.

The Beast is a wooden coaster.

The Diamondback is a steel coaster

Adventure Express is a hybrid coaster

Journey To Atlantis is a water coaster (coaster type)

-

Mondo Monsoon is a tube slide

Tropical Twister is a body slide

Hydro Plunge is a water coaster (slide type)

Rendezvous Run is a mat slide

Long and short, some people need to get their cookies lined up before they start saying that coaster x is type y when it is actually type z.

• Like 2