Is surf dog considered a coaster?

YoungStud

Like I said in the other topic if the power gets cut the ride comes to a stop. It's more of a flat ride and you have to call the log flume a coaster also if you would count surf dog.

Cedar Point could have called Demom Drop a coaster It had a lift hill and track.

• Like 1

Then how come CP doesn't consider their new version of this a coaster?

I stick to my own interpretations at this point and I say no. Its powered all the way through and doesn't rely on gravity. I don't consider powered 'coasters' as true roller coasters either, unless there are major drops and have some sort of gravity powered section in them like Blazing Fury at Dollywood.

• Like 2

Its quite simple, the park says its a coaster, so there for its a coaster...

but wait, there's more...

the rides manufacturer currently lists a very similar ride:

http://www.zamperla.com/en/zamperla-details-rollercoaster-disko_coaster

Under its coaster section, there for it must be a coaster.

browntggr, I doubt search would have helped him much. The only reason he created this was b/c Six Flags claims one of their parks is going to install a record 4th coaster in its kids area, while a park he loves to bash already claims to have 4. Search doesn't help much when your mission in life is to troll.

At the end of the day, call it what you like. My wife and son love to call it fun. Personally I call it "I'm not riding it twice in a row for fear of getting sick, but that 1 trip is a lot of fun"

• Like 4

In Kinzel's day if CP and Magic Mountain were tied, then CP would boast it had the most coasters.

You would most likely be right on with that one!

Classification aside, my son and I love to ride Surf Dog together. At the end of the day that is all that really matters!

• Like 2

Whirlybirds should be considered a coaster too? I mean its a car on a track... technically Drop Towers can be rollercoaster too, they have a vehicle that is fixed to a support structure that is traverses on...

• 3 years later...

See, that(referring to Arthur above)'s really hard to tell; I would have called it a dark ride (and not a coaster) up until that outdoor portion, then it becomes a coaster (so, I'd say it's a coaster credit). As for Surf Dog, I don't personally consider it a coaster. However, it's a weird categorization thing as I don't consider Disko's or drop rides like Demon Drop/Drop Tower coasters, but I do consider rides like Wicked Twister, Invertigo and Superman: Escape from Krypton (SFMM) to be roller coasters.

EDIT: See, the interesting thing is that when Surf Dog was first known about (I think this was when it was announced and under construction, I'm not sure), RCDB briefly considered it a coaster, and then took that entry offline later on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

See, that(referring to Arthur above)'s really hard to tell; I would have called it a dark ride (and not a coaster) up until that outdoor portion, then it becomes a coaster (so, I'd say it's a coaster credit). As for Surf Dog, I don't personally consider it a coaster. However, it's a weird categorization thing as I don't consider Disko's or drop rides like Demon Drop/Drop Tower coasters, but I do consider rides like Wicked Twister, Invertigo and Superman: Escape from Krypton (SFMM) to be roller coasters.

EDIT: See, the interesting thing is that when Surf Dog was first known about (I think this was when it was announced and under construction, I'm not sure), RCDB briefly considered it a coaster, and then took that entry offline later on.

It acts like a coaster, and when powered coasts like a roller coaster. It sometimes valleys like a coaster, so why isn't it called a coaster?

• Like 1