Cedar Fair vs Theming

SonofBaconator

If at Kings Dominion does this, I really hope Kings Island does the same. When I read that Kings Dominion was bringing the Safari back, I wondered if they would get a new monorail or if they would do what Six Flags Great Adventure did with their animal preserve (Open air trucks).

If at Kings Dominion does this, I really hope Kings Island does the same. When I read that Kings Dominion was bringing the Safari back, I wondered if they would get a new monorail or if they would do what Six Flags Great Adventure did with their animal preserve (Open air trucks).

They're not bringing back the Safari ride.

One of that park's themed areas was "Safari Village" (similar to Kings Island's "Adventure Village"). KD's Safari Village was renamed "The Congo," as Kings Islands was re-named "Action Zone." For 2014, the name will revert to Safari Village, and the rides that area will presumably get new details, paint, etc. with a few cosmetic changes to make the reversion to the "Safari Village" theme more obvious.

• Like 1

They're not bringing back the Safari ride.

One of that park's themed areas was "Safari Village" (similar to Kings Island's "Adventure Village"). KD's Safari Village was renamed "The Congo," as Kings Islands was re-named "Action Zone." For 2014, the name will revert to Safari Village, and the rides that area will presumably get new details, paint, etc. with a few cosmetic changes to make the reversion to the "Safari Village" theme more obvious.

I see now. I have never been to Kings Dominion so I didn't really know that.

• 10 months later...

Paramount Parks also was one movie-based theme park operator who ran their parks seasonally verses Disney and Universal which run theirs year round.

I think it's interesting to note how Paramount ran their parks verses another movie-based theme park operator.

Let's take the Italian Job: Stunt Track as an example. The ride was highly themed and used lots of special effects and technology to create the experience. You go through many changes of scenery throughout the ride. The queue line for the ride was lightly themed (few humorous road signs themed to the ride, still visible today).

Now take a ride like Expedition Everest: Legend of the Forbidden Mountain at Disney's Animal Kingdom where the ride is also highly themed and uses lots of special effects and technology to create the experience. You also go through many changed of scenery during the ride. But the experience extends beyond the ride. In the queue line you travel through multiple rooms, which tells you a story, and sets the stage and atmosphere for the ride, telling you why you're about to hoard this high speed train. It also has a gift shop for the ride, and the ride is appropriately placed in a section of the park that would fit the theme of the ride.

I'm not saying Cedar Fair should focus on theming verses thrills (I think they can live hand-in-hand), but I'm pretty sure that right now, the theming of the newer rides (Firehawk, Diamondback, and Banshee) is what we can come to expect from Cedar Fair and Mr. Ouimet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Now take a ride like Expedition Everest: Legend of the Forbidden Mountain at Disney's Animal Kingdom where the ride is also highly themed and uses lots of special effects and technology to create the experience. You also go through many changed of scenery during the ride. But the experience extends beyond the ride. In the queue line you travel through multiple rooms, which tells you a story, and sets the stage and atmosphere for the ride, telling you why you're about to hoard this high speed train. It also has a gift shop for the ride, and the ride is appropriately placed in a section of the park that would fit the theme of the ride.

One of my favorite things about the big Orlando theme parks is the queues. A great queue can make a long wait feel much shorter. Sadly the need for well-themed queues and back stories for rides has gone by the wayside because of cell phones. I know if I was running an amusement/theme park, I wouldn't bother wasting money on a nice, well-themed queue or attempting to add back story to a ride since most of the patrons are going to have their faces glued to their cell phones anyway.

• Like 3